Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Want HAM for Thanksgiving - not turkey

Options
Meinbmw
Meinbmw Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can anyone advise me on their methods of cooking a ham on the egg? What kind of ham, what temp, how long, what wood .... etc. etc.[p]Thanks in advance.[p]"We don't need no 'stinkin turkey"

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Meinbmw,
    here is a link to what many believe may be the best ham around. .. beauty of it is that you buy a pre-smoked ham at the grocery (i like the smithfields hardwood smoked hams). . .now, dave ALWAYS beats me up cause i don't do the 'kiss of death' injection. . ..and as i always say, its cause i'm too lazy. . .. i just follow the smoking instructions and do the glaze (which is out of this world!!" i also do one other thing, i smear the entire ham in dijon mustard and brown sugar at the beginning, then do the glaze for the last hour per his instructions. ...[p]anyway you do it its great, but you should give his whole recipe a try. . .in four years here i've never seen anybody say a bad thing about it. ..and it takes an average ham and turns it into a great one. ..

[ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/archives/2003/messages/72626.htm[/ul]
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    We made this ham last weekend and it was awesome. I was a little leary about the glaze but man was it amazing once it was cooked. I give it two thumbs up and a Fonzie ehhhhh!

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • Meinbmw
    Meinbmw Posts: 157
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Boy, does this sound GREAT!! Thanks very much. But (and this is a question that I have asked before and still get confused) ... when it says "Maintain temperature of cooker/grill at 225° to 275° during cook cycle" does that mean dome or grid?[p]Can't wait to give this recipe a go - thanks again.[p][p][p]
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Meinbmw,
    because you set this up on grid over inverted plate setter, the ham is sitting pretty high in the dome to start with, so i go with 250- 275 dome temp. ...

• cuppy
    cuppy Posts: 12
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    looks like an awesome good way to make a ham. But, what about the GRAVY? U know, for the mashed taters, or can u make gravy with the sauce drippings or is gravy out if cooked using this method.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    cuppy,
    you can't get gravy from doing this ham. . .the drip pans end up with melted fat from ham, and nasty orange juice. ..[p]if you still want good gravy for sides, but dont' make a turkey, don't despair. .. .go to some place like williams sonoma and buy a jar of their concentrated turkey dripping stuff (i don't exactly what they call it on their labels). . .go to the grocery and buy some turkey parts (drumsticks/wings/etc) and make the broth per my directions. ... then start with a clean pot/pan, making the butter/flour roux, then add the the wine and jarred drippings, and follow the rest of the recipe. ..[p]so yes, you can have your ham, and still make good home-made gravy. .. .

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Meinbmw,
    follow the directions on the ham.....[p]350 for however long.
    might toss in some wood at the end.[p]easiest thing in the world on the egg.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante