Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump vs Briquets

Options
Hook
Hook Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Other than BGE wanting you to buy their lump,less ash, higher heat, are there anyother reasons to use lump rather than briquets? I use my shop vac to clean out the ash so no problem with that.

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Hook,
    I could be wrong (but I don't think so...) You can't re-use lump; you'd have to clear the ash and reload before every cook.[p]Ken

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    Hook,
    I think the lump gets alot hotter and is also easier to control in the Egg. Plus it doesn't have the fillers that briquets have. In other smokers and grills I have found the lump to burn up alot faster though. But hey, since I 've had my Eggs I only use my kettle grill from time to time just to keep me sharp.
    Just my two cents.

• egghead2004
    Options
    Hook,[p]I've used both in my egg, the briquets produce far more ash and that will not work for longer cooks, restricts the air flow which results in a lower temperature over time. Also lump lasts longer, you do not have to refill the firebox.
    One last thing, you can not reach the "lava" temps for searing steaks with briquets.[p]Other than that, they work fine for burgers, dogs, wings, chicken, fish, etc.[p]After a while using lump, you won't want to go back to briquets.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Hook, please understand you don't have to buy BGE lump - there are many producers out there - look at TNW site below for sources.

[ul][li]TNW lump site[/ul]
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • tn slagamater
    Options
    Hook, lump should cost you less than briquets especially considering that you can re-use lump left from a prior cook.Your extra lump heat is not wasted or lost with the egg as you have total control of the temperature.With the Egg you will use much less charcoal than with other cookers. Once you start using lump you will never go back.

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    RRP,
    I've got my second bag of BGE lump that I'm using, the ones that came with each of my two Eggs. I purchase Royal Oak locally (BGE lump is Royal Oak). If you have a GFS they carry it all year. Some hardware stores carry it, I've found various brands of lump sold in grocery stores, wine shops, and a sheet metal manufactering place.

• Grillicious
    Options
    BlueSmoke,yes you can reuse lump, as tn slagamater noted in an earlier post. Just stir it to let any ash from the previous cook fall through, and relight it.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Grillicious,
    When I goof, I don't fool around. <grin> Fickle fingers typed "l u m p" while foggy brain spelled "b r i q u e t".[p]mea culpa[p]Ken

• Grillicious
    Options
    BlueSmoke, I suspected as much. I've seen enough of your posts here to know that it was probably a mistake LOL. I've made my share of dyslexic typos.[p]Happy grilling

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Hook,
    the one reason i can think of is that when you buy briquettes, you are buying lump that has been crushed and mixed with useless sh!t, then charged to you at the same rate.[p]also, it generates more ash during a cook (good bye maintenance-free 24 hour lo-and-slo), doesn't get as hot (bye-bye perfect sear).[p]other than that i can't think of a reason.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Hook
    Hook Posts: 11
    Options
    Grillicious, Thank you all for the feedback Just what I was looking for.[p]
  • Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    Options
    Hook,[p]
    Briquets also have additives that you really dont want permeating into your ceramics. Especially the self-lighting kind with lighter fluid,

• ted
    ted Posts: 51
    Options
    I also don't want those addititves (petroleum products, wax, and other possible nasty stuff) permeating my food either.

I know I can smell the difference between lump and briquettes. That smell is the "other stuff".
  • Hook,[p]Other than the usual ash comments, the reason I buy lump is I find I can put the food on quicker as the unlighted lump doesn't leave a charcaol taste on the food. I tended to let briquets burn till they are all completely gray to ensure that didn't happen. Lump, being natural, with no additives never does that for me.[p]Howard