Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Almost blew myself up.

gmacgmac Posts: 1,701
I started my propane starter and stuck it in the coals and went inside to grab the burgers for tonight's supper. I didn't rush back because I've done this dozens of times before with no problems. But, when I came back, the charcoal had shifted and the tank was hanging over the coals. I just went to grab it when it let go. Four foot flames were shooting out and luckily away from the house. I didn't get an on-fire shot bit here is the aftermath. Could have been ugly.
Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.

Comments

• Those things are really hard to blow up. I've tried  >:)
    1- LGBE
    1- KBQ C-60 (The Dishwasher)
    I- Blackstone 36" Griddle
    1- Sweet-A$$ Roccbox Pizza Oven
    1-Very Understanding and Forgiving Wife
  • gmacgmac Posts: 1,701
    Well, I guess I should say, thank goodness I didn't grab it when it went. Would have ended worse.
  • that is nuts. guess you burned through the regulator? That seems doable. I've wrapped one in tannerite and shot it with a 30/30 and couldn't get it to go.

Note to self.....leave regulator on next time.

1- LGBE
    At least the burgers are getting cooked. Flipped ones are juicy Lucy style for the kids. Unflipped are for the wife who doesn't like cheese on her burgers. Not sure why we are still married either.
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,528
    You dodged one today.  Glad all are safe.
    Argh
  • DMWDMW Posts: 12,119
    Take care out there. True story, when I was not as old as I am now, I shot a shotgun shell with a bb gun. Hit it right in the primer. Still here.
    My Facebook Page where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - 18.5" WSM - Gasser - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE - Akron Jr - BS SS36" Griddle
  • JustacookinJustacookin Posts: 279
    I will be the first to say just happy to hear nothing happened to the Egg.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • tksmoketksmoke Posts: 776
    In Alaska we had a stretch where we couldn't fly for over a week due to really bad weather.  As you can imagine, combine a bunch of frustrated pilots with a liberal amount of lubrication, an old half-full propane tank, and guns and rifles of all shapes and sizes - what do you get?  Mayhem!!  It took a lot of rounds of ammunition to get it to go, but once it did...
    Santa Paula, CA
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ tanerite is awesome. Next time strap some to a gas can. We did that with two gas cans and shot them with a .50 cal. That lit up the sky!
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,817
    Y'all hold my beer and watch this.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• johnkitchensjohnkitchens Posts: 5,056
    The last words spoken by many rednecks. "Hey Bubba watch this".

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ tanerite is awesome. Next time strap some to a gas can. We did that with two gas cans and shot them with a .50 cal. That lit up the sky!

Take that and stuff it in a dead hog and let the AR loose then you are on to something :)). I just got to see the video of that one (missed that trip) but it was spectacular. I've never been able to get a propane tank to go but it had not been from a lack of effort.
    1- LGBE
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 13,959
    You should see what happens with O2 cylinders and a MRI field. Now that's exciting!
  • DMWDMW Posts: 12,119
    edited April 2014
    I've repressed my inner pyro for quite some time, now I'm getting all excited and twitchy...

My Facebook Page where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - 18.5" WSM - Gasser - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE - Akron Jr - BS SS36" Griddle
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 10,722
    Could have been much worse, t(h)ankfully it wasn't.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Husker_13Husker_13 Posts: 29
    I used to sell MRI's so as Eggcelsior said, some crazy things happen when you mix the MRI field with magnetic objects. Similar to flames and combustible objects:) Scary stuff and glad everyone is okay.
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 6,155
    edited April 2014
    @gmac - glad you're okay.
    @Mickey - no offense but this photo scares me every time you post it ;)
    canuckland
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 955
    Man that's crazy lucky that you didn't grab that! You definitely dodge a bullet on that.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
    That shots pretty close to what I had going on but mine were coming out side ways.
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 18,644

Non taken but that's how I start both Larges.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 22,718
    ive tossed two map torches in the lake because of that
    :)) i dont use the mapp torch anymore to start an egg
  • 500500 Posts: 2,638
    Mickey said:

Non taken but that's how I start both Larges.
    I start the Egg with a weed burner and a 20# tank, but I never lay it in there and walk away like this.  Brave soul.
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 18,644
    @500 Why would you say I walk away? What makes you think I walk away? Are you thinking I am as big a moron as I am thinking you are at this time. I hope we are both wrong. You are for damn sure. Just in case this went over your head, no I was standing there while I shot the picture.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

edited April 2014
    Sorry I ignited this flame (pun intended) war, let's nip it in the bud. Peace!
    canuckland
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 26,331

• GATABITESGATABITES Posts: 1,257
    edited April 2014
    The comments on this forum are priceless. Always entertaining. I love my mapp torch but I am (ALWAYS) extremely cautious when lighting lump. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 22,718
    if you want something simple to light that egg try this method, takes 5 minutes to make a years worth of starters for cheap and it works quicker than the small torch
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143722/napkin-and-oil-trick-was-messy
  • if you want something simple to light that egg try this method, takes 5 minutes to make a years worth of starters for cheap and it works quicker than the small torch
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143722/napkin-and-oil-trick-was-messy
    all I do anymore. I just put 100 more squares in last night. I just put them in a ziplock and force all the air out. Best lighters I've ever used. 

I still use my Mapp to light them sometimes so I feel like a badass though :))

1- LGBE
    I'm cheap, can I use dirty oil from fryer instead of fresh oil  ;)
    canuckland