Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt question

Options
I'm cooking dinner Thursday. I have (2) Bone in butts. 9.91lb & 7.76lb. What's the best way to cook them? Put them both in the same time? Put the bigger one on first? Also, if they we're put on the same time, how much of a time difference would I have since there is. 2.25lb difference?
XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    If you cook at 225 grate maybe 4 hours difference. I have a bone in 9.4 pounder that is on right now. It has taken almost 19 hours and I am at 190 internal so it will be 20 hours total to get to 195, that is 225 grate temp.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    19 hours?? Holy sh*t. Yea, I may have to go turbo on them then lol
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    You may want to check out turbo or at least modified turbo-start slow then ramp up.  Related, just because there is a weight difference does not mean that the smaller one will finish first-they each cook at their own pace.  Best finish indicator is when the bone pulls clean.  And aim to finish early so you aren't stressing abour getting to the finish-line.  You can FTC for several hours before you pull and eat.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    mine finished up in just under 21 hours ftc now for dinner later

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Whenever I have done the low and slow method I get my pit up to 255° And usually a 8 pound butt is done in about 11 hours with an internal temperature of 205
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Thursday night. When are you starting?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Dinner is at 5:30 on Thursday night if I was going to do the loan slow I would probably put everything on the grill at about 5 AM. If I go to turbo method I would probably put everything on the grill at around 830 to 9 AM
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Whenever I have done the low and slow method I get my pit up to 255° And usually a 8 pound butt is done in about 11 hours with an internal temperature of 205
    Sounds about right. 

I'd put them on at the same time.  Put the smaller one closer to the front of the egg where it's not as hot.  Each butt cooks at it's own rate.  Just pull them off individually when they're done.
    Thx
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Here they are
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    12 hours on a low and slow might/probably wouldn't be enough. Might take 14-18. You could always crutch. Turbo? Straight or wrap?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • coffeeguydenton
    Options
    Put them in at the same time and FTC whichever one finishes first.  Start at least 18 hours prior to dinner time.  This should give you enough time without much chance of finishing so early that you can't FTC.  I usually get the egg fired up at around 10, get it locked in and put them on at midnight for a 6 pm dinner.  You can always ramp up in the afternoon if it's taking longer than expected.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    You guys that are mentioning it takes you 14 to 18 hours for a low and slow cook is mind-boggling. Like I said before whenever I have done my low and slow out around 250° I'm usually done in approximately 10 to 12 hours but never 14 to 18 hours. This dinner is for guys that I work with, so the really is not much leeway with going past a 530 dinner time. I guess I can get the egg up to temp by the time I get home at 3am and put everything on at 3:30. I'm sure the smaller butt will be done around 1 or 2 o'clock and the larger one around 4 to 5 o'clock
  • Smokinpig
    Options

I have only had my egg since December but I have done about 8 bone in butts and at 225 grate it averages almost 2 hours a pound to get to 195. Some are a little faster some are a little slower. Perhaps the salt air helps speed it up but I thought the higher you were from sea level the faster things cook, at least water boils faster.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Smokinpig said:

I have only had my egg since December but I have done about 8 bone in butts and at 225 grate it averages almost 2 hours a pound to get to 195. Some are a little faster some are a little slower. Perhaps the salt air helps speed it up but I thought the higher you were from sea level the faster things cook, at least water boils faster.

The higher the altitude, the lower the atmospheric pressure, the lower temperature water boils, the slower food cooks.  And there's less oxygen to burn, so the same vent settings will result in a cooler temp.
    The butts went on exactly 6 hours ago. The temperature for the small butt is 167 and the big one is at 157. So I'm thinking about another four hours before the small one is even remotely done? Grid temperature is holding at a steady 245°
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    EggHeadinFlorida Posts: 892
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Also when you guys put meat in a cooler while it's still wrapped up to hold its temperature so you can eat it at a later time, are you guys using just any ordinary cooler or would one of those insulated bags work that you get from Publix to keep cold food cold or hot food hot? The only cooler I have is one that you would take to a picnic it about 3' long X 18" high and depth. Would one of those $4. Insulated coolers work as well or do I need to be looking at something little bit more insulated?
  • Smokinpig
    Options

Depends on the stall time. Butts tend to get to 150-160 quickly for me and then go through the stall to go to 195-200.

I use a big cooler for ftc around the same size. I putt a towel on the bottom toss in the butt double wrapped in foil and then fill the rest of the space with towels. After 2 hours on Tuesday is was still hot to the point of I had to use claws to pull or it would have burned me.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    How do I know if I'm in the middle of the stall?
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    The IT will stop climbing, maybe even drop a bit.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    You probably have a few hours to go but it depends on how long of a stall each of them gets.

As for the cooler, the better insulated the cooler the longer it'll hold your meat in safe temps. I usually fill mine with old towels to take up the airspace. Yours sounds pretty big for a butt or two. The insulated bags work ok but not as well as a thick insulated cooler. However, I have used an insulated bag stuffed inside a second insulated bag before and it worked well.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Gotcha
  • lousubcap
    Options
    You know you are in the stall when the temp stops rising (or may fall) for an extended period of time.  Can't define the middle until you have exited as the stall is hunk of meat unique.  It can last many (4-5 hours or more) hours.  there are ways to punch thru it with higher temperature or foiling.  chek out Texas crutch for more info.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    You don't. It can last a few hours or many. You can always bump the temp and power through it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Quick question the small butt is now at 192°. The larger one is at 178. I have to leave right now and I won't be home for about another three hours. Is it safe to pull the small one off right now and FTC it? And the other three hours will give time for the larger one to cook?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Does it probe like butter?
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    EggHeadinFlorida Posts: 892
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Well I have a false alarm. I'm using the barbecue guru digiq. The temperature on the probe was measuring 192. So I pulled it off and then I use my digital thermometer and got a reading of 184° So I probed in the same spot with my guru and got the same temperature reading of 184. I've then stuck my thermometer in the same spot that the guru had been stuck in for the last 10 hours and got the same temperature of 184. So I'm not sure what's going on with my guru. Maybe it got a little too comfortable being probed in one spot I don't know ? It is nowhere near the bone. so I'm not sure what the issue is But the internal temperature now is 184 and climbing. Looks like I have to leave it on for a little bit longer before I can pull it
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    184* in one spot and 192* in another is completely normal. For this you want to cook til it probes like butter, not to a specific internal temp. Use temp as a guideline for when to start checking. I usually start probing around 195* IT. Just open the dome and use a probe thermometer to stick it in a few spots. If any spot isn't probing really smooth both in and out, close the dome and check again later.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    What definitely wasn't probing easy. There was some resistance but I know it definitely wasn't normal when I've cooked other butts before and probed at an internal temperature of 204°
  • lousubcap
    Options
    As mentioned, for me the best finish indicator is when the bone pulls clean and that can be from around 195-206 or so.  FWIW-