Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I left my family

So I left my egg family:

Because my wife and I took our three kids for spring break in vegas.  Yes, there is a kid side to the whole vegas thing.  But this meant pulling this guy out of storage to take along for the ride:

Unpacked at the house in vegas, yes I used kingsford in it.  It was the natural stuff, and Costco carried it when I picked up the steaks so it meant one less stop:

Added a little fuel and fired it up:

Went to prep the tenderloins:

And remembered to never leave bubba wide open throttle for ten minutes:

I added oil to the grate, but at 800, the oil disappeared pretty quickly.  Oh well, had the woo in there to get it away from intense heat:

These were good, wife and kids really enjoyed (oh, and me too):

I got my bubba keg for $300, it makes it a great travel cooker.  It holds temp incredibly well because of its insulation.  It also holds kids well.

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Have fun
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Oh cool, have fun! I agree that Vegas can be a family friendly place, but it can be a lot friendlier without the family! ;)

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• wraith81
    wraith81 Posts: 3
    I have a Bubba Keg myself.  I love that thing. 

Oklahoma City, OK           Large BGE            Mini BGE

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    What is your target temp for cooking children?  And if mine are more ferral would I adjust up or down?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Which of those steaks did the little guy eat?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Foghorn said:
    What is your target temp for cooking children?  And if mine are more ferral would I adjust up or down?
    If you leave them in the fridge overnight it crisps the skin up.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Just got back from a Vegas trip. Me and ten of my closest pals. All wives and kids were excluded. It was fun, don't think ill do that again (until next year of course) did some serious damage to my body and bank account. Have fun.
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Foghorn said:
    The feral children are a little tougher, you don't necessarily need a hotter temp, but a longer low n slow time.  And the more hydrated ones may stall longer.
    Bubba Kegs are good cookers, and a damn good deal before they jacked the price up on them. You get extra points for having the trailer hitch and travelling with it.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    Thanks for the comments.  It was a fun trip, even though we were only gone 4 days.  This was my first venture with bubba hitched up.  Its kind of funny that I spent $300 on the cooker, and $200 to finally get a hitch installed so that I can carry it around.  I used this trip as an excuse to get one, but bubba is going to work for lunch more often now.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

Foghorn said:
    The feral children are a little tougher, you don't necessarily need a hotter temp, but a longer low n slow time.  And the more hydrated ones may stall longer.
    It's even better with the chubby ones. That witch was right. I just don't have any jewels to bribe them with if they escape. That bone crap won't work on me either. 20/20 vision, suckers.
  • Harmening
    Harmening Posts: 35
    Yeah, after about age seven, they start to taste a little gamey...