Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Bad Back

Options
2»

Comments

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Thanks all. Pain is a bit better after seeing the chiropractor for a couple days but I don't look much better.  Still pulling heavily to the right.  I think I'll add a massage therapist into the mix tomorrow since the chiropractor will be gone for a couple days.  I'm admittedly skeptical but last time this happened the chiropractor did seem to help.  Apparently those ladies out by the airport aren't licensed massage therapists so work won't approve the receipt.  Won't make that mistake again...
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    See a PT. They will teach you exercises and proper positioning. You're not getting that from massage therapy or chiroquackery.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I have had good luck with chiropractors but the chiropractors I have been to also teach different stretches and routines to strengthen the core. Another thing the chiropractor suggested is go to a nice running shoe store and they have machines that measure your pressure on your feet and how you walk and they sell higher quality inserts. I went to the new balance store and their inserts were only like $50 and last a good year. I also got a nice memory foam bed which really helped and I got a concept 2 rowing machine that I use daily and an inversion table. I have been good for a year or two but I had a pinched sciatic nerve for a couple months where every time I would sit I couldn't stand back up straight for 5-10 minutes and my left leg was almost always tingling. Strength and flexibility seem to be key.
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Options
    All good advice on here!  10 years of college and club rugby and now nearly 50 carrying 15-20 extra pounds has not been a good formula for me.

Like others have said, don't underestimate the importance of a good bed.  $150 for a 3-4" memory foam mattress topper may help turn things around pretty quickly.  Especially if used on top of a firm mattress.
    Mamaroneck
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Options
    Eight years of school will force me to go with the PT route. Pm me if you need help finding one.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • gmac
    Options
    I think long term PT will be the right way to go. My skepticism re chiropractors is when they start with the long term, every month stuff. Last time I went to a massage therapist they started in on all the bs about how massage will release the toxins in my muscles etc. I'm a very analytical guy. Show me a study where they measured the urine chemistry of 1000 people before and after massage and how it showed an increase in certain chemicals etc. When people start trying to sell me in their brand of vitamin or made up scientific claims, then they lose me. I'm doing chiro now because its the easiest to get into and it did give me some short term relief before so I can start doing more permanent changes. I'm at the point where I can't get my socks on or even my foot in that second leg hole in my underwear so I'm willing to try most anything.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    edited March 2014
    Options

I had double fusion L4/L5 and L5/S1,  11 years ago at age 46. my only regret is I didn't do it sooner. I'm not suggesting to anyone to get surgery without exhausting all other avenues. I tried a bunch of chiropractors some good some not so much. I did acupuncture, PT, even traction. When every muscle in your body spasms in pain you become a member of the club. I didn't realize how much pain I was in all the time until it was gone. I guess my point is you'll know when it's time to let them cut on you and not every surgery is a horror story. No one will ever tell you a good back surgery story but mine's been a Godsend. It gave me my life back.

Tim 

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Could be stress related? Try reading Healing Back Pain: The Mind Body Connection, it worked magic on me.
    This book changed my life. I had two years of back pain. After getting my MRI, I was convinced that I needed back surgery, my pain got worse. I'm so glad that I didn't get the surgery.

After reading the book (well listening to it) I haven't had pain since.

The Audio book is like $12 on Amazon and it's worth a listen.
    gmac said:
    Thanks all. Pain is a bit better after seeing the chiropractor for a couple days but I don't look much better.  Still pulling heavily to the right.  I think I'll add a massage therapist into the mix tomorrow since the chiropractor will be gone for a couple days.  I'm admittedly skeptical but last time this happened the chiropractor did seem to help.  Apparently those ladies out by the airport aren't licensed massage therapists so work won't approve the receipt.  Won't make that mistake again...

This is the pain I used to get, my hip would be off kilter and it hurt like hell. I think it was called Sarco Illiac a joint in the hip where you feel pain in your back.

Aurora,OH
  • oakdaleegger
    Options
    Im going through back pain now. Sciatic pain down my left leg. I'm going to physical therapy and they concentrate on getting my core muscles stronger. Lots of ab work. Massage does feel good for the moment but I'm sure if I lose some weight that will only help. I'm 6'2" 230. (I love to crush a few beers while egging.) I use ice now when the back flares up and use heat to soothe it. It's been a few months now. The chiro helped at first and after the 8th visit it seemed to not help anymore. Thats when I told doc to sign me up for PT. I was put in a traction machine two days ago and am really sore from that. The worst part of my day is in the AM and getting out of bed. The more I move the more I seem to keep it loose. Thanks for starting this "support group" haha...

I MISS GOLFING THE MOST
  • gmac
    Options
    Since it's a support group :)  I thought I'd send an update on how I was doing.  Not any better.  Still hurts a lot and mobility seems to be getting worse.  So, I'm hoping to get into a physiotherapist this week, if that doesn't help then I guess more drastic measures may be in my future because I'm getting pretty damn sick of this.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    @gmac I hope you find relief soon. I have had back problems in the past and when it is bad it is really bad. 

Get well soon bro!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

I too had a herniated l4/l5 in my lower back. Prior to that I had general lower back pain. It would flare up on me from an injury when I was younger. One summer several years ago I was building a rock garden on the from of the house and tried to be a hero and lift beyond my means. Well I exhausted all my provincial healthcare and had to pay out of pocket for chiro visits. I did have relief from it each time I went. I started at 3 times a week, then 2 times, down to 1, then every 2 weeks until a year or so was up. I tried PT and I felt great coming out but by the end of the day I felt worse than when I went in.

Different treatments work for different people. PT for me was out. I also believe that there are good in each practitioner and bad.

I remember it was Canadian Thanksgiving at my Moms and I could not even sit, stand, walk, lie on my back, side, stomach and I left the table and went to my Moms room and cried, thinking my life was over. I suffered for a few months prior to getting into see this chiropractor. I remember him telling me when we were discussing my long term plan to rehab " it took you how many years to create this damage, its not going to be repaired overnight". Sounded like a selling feature. But here I am today fit as a fiddle and spry. I don't lift like a gorilla anymore and ask for help and am very precautionary.

My story ended well with professional help. This unfortunately isn't the case for all. Just know there is hope to get fixed and then the ball is in your court for not recreating the issue.

I wish you nothing but the best in your journey to good health. I know I never want to feel what I felt in that bedroom at Moms ever again.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    I don't get all this bashing of chiropractors! I'm 69 and over the years I have thrown my back out several times. The quicker I can get in to my chiro the quicker he and now she can get it back in place. Normally a repeat visit is needed but so what? The chronic abuser IMO is the patient not the chiro! I do know people who visit weekly for "an adjustment" and for them I think they need a head adjustment not a back adjustment!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    RRP said:
    I don't get all this bashing of chiropractors! I'm 69 and over the years I have thrown my back out several times. The quicker I can get in to my chiro the quicker he and now she can get it back in place. Normally a repeat visit is needed but so what? The chronic abuser IMO is the patient not the chiro! I do know people who visit weekly for "an adjustment" and for them I think they need a head adjustment not a back adjustment!
    I think most doctors will concur whatever works managing muscular skeletal issues is a viable solution so long as it isn't harmful in other ways, such as developing a raging heroin addition.
    Options
    RRP said:
    I'm bashing the pseudoscience of "subluxation" as opposed to what the medical definition is. Chiropractors use conventional techniques for treatment of low back pain which can be efficacious, but you can get the same thing in massage therapy and PT. There is a reason that fraud is much more prevalent in chiropractors than medical doctors. Your last sentence hits the nail on the head to explain why. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    RRP said:
    I'm bashing the pseudoscience of "subluxation" as opposed to what the medical definition is. Chiropractors use conventional techniques for treatment of low back pain which can be efficacious, but you can get the same thing in massage therapy and PT. There is a reason that fraud is much more prevalent in chiropractors than medical doctors. Your last sentence hits the nail on the head to explain why. 

You frighten and confuse Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer with your big words and modern ways!