Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bulgogi (Korean BBQ Beef)

Options
R2Egg2Q
R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
I decided to give bulgogi a shot using a recipe from here: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/bulgogi
Whipped up the marinade
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Mixed in some thin sliced ribeye and let it marinate for about 75 minutes
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Heated a perforated cooking grid on the Small and grilled up the bulgogi
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Assembled some lettuce wraps using romaine hearts and chowed down.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
I'll definitely make this again but will probably try some different cuts of beef and marinate it a little longer.
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I like that
    Options
    How was the maangchi recipe? I haven't tried hers yet.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That looks damn good as usual ! Any particular reason you used that grid resting on the rim like that?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    How was the maangchi recipe? I haven't tried hers yet.

We liked it but we haven't tried any other bulgogi recipes to compare it to. It did taste close to some I've had in restaurants.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I've had a few at local places in the DC area but my Brother in law is Korean. His mom made us dinner back in December - HOLY CRAP.
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    caliking said:
    That looks damn good as usual ! Any particular reason you used that grid resting on the rim like that?

Thanks! Yes, the reason is poor planning on my part. I had the Small ready to cook before I remembered the ribeye had a lot of small pieces that would fall through the stock grid. I saw the perforated grid and thought it'd work raised direct (which it did). In hindsight, I think my small CI grid with the flat side bars would have been fine. :-?

Bay Area, CA
  • Galbi
    Galbi Posts: 27
    Options
    Time for galbi!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Galbi said:
    Time for galbi!
    I have some short ribs I need to do something with. Along with an Asian pear... Winner Winner Galbi Dinner?
  • Galbi
    Galbi Posts: 27
    Options
    asian pear... the key ingredient!  Highly recommend a good maple syrup instead of sugar.
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    Galbi said:

Time for galbi!

Galbi is on my list of things to cook. This sounds oddly cannibalistic asking Galbi this question ;) but do you have any galbi recipes you recommend?

Bay Area, CA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    When we lived in Iowa City several years ago, there were enough Korean folks around that you could go to the meat counter at Fareway (small local grocery store chain) and ask for "galbi cut" or "bulgogi cut' for your meat and the teenager behind the counter knew exactly what you meant. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.