Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar Planked Salmon - Direct or Indirect setup??

Options
jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum
Cedar planked salmon is on my short list. I've done it on my gas grill but this will be my first on the Egg and I was wondering about the setup. I realize that by grilling on a plank you are already indirect grilling, but what about the setup for the Egg? I was thinking if you used the platesetter legs up and the s/s grill grid you could use a drip pan and would avoid flare ups or plank burn ups because the plank won't ever experience the direct flame. Also it would be safe to put a remote read probe on the grill since it won't be exposed to direct flame. But I was also wondering if the radiant heat from direct line of sight from the coals to the plank would give you any more smoke? So 425 direct or indirect??

i'd be interested to hear folks opinions on the matter and what your set up is. 

TIA
Jim
3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I go indirect. ..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jfm0830
    Options
    henapple said:
    I go indirect. ..
    That is my initial inclination too. But do you get as much smoke from the plank that way. Or do I just burn a small amount of cedar chips too?
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I try not to scorch the plank. Fish takes the smoke..I would start the fire direct towards the back and cook in the front. My last direct burnt the cedar.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    I do mine raise grate, direct, 350. Just need to watch for hot spots. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    plank grilling is direct.
    Options
    You want the plank, eventually, to start smoldering.  That's the point.  It is the smoke wood.
    Options
    Smoldering. ..not nuclear.
  • reinhart36
    reinhart36 Posts: 253
    Options
    I always cedar plank direct.  As the plank burns and smokes, it imparts an outstanding flavor.  If you want to conserve your planks, cut them down to just the size you need for the fish you're cooking.

Generally, I discard the plank after one use.

Have fun!
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    Try raised direct on plank with alder chips at 250 dome to IT of 135 . EVOO and DP Raging River.Excellent!
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    I'm in the 425-450 felt line direct camp
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have always done direct

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • golfandgrill
    Options
    400 raised direct. I get about 10 uses out of my planks
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Raised direct for me. This is one of bobby flay's first recipes on the food network and I would compare it to any salmon recipe I have had in Seattle or Alaska any day of the week... http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/salmon-with-brown-sugar-and-mustard-glaze-recipe.html#!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • jfm0830
    Options
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I kinda figured there were as many answers as there were people cooking salmon. I don't know if I dare ask whether the temperatures people were throwing around were measured at the dome thermometer or at the cooking level?
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Jim, that would be dome temp for me. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I normally go 375 direct- soak the plan for approx 1 hour (submerged). You want the bottom of the plan to char to give you the smoke. No need to flip the fish.
    Greensboro, NC
  • cmkratt
    cmkratt Posts: 54
    Options
    I go raised direct at 375 - 400 on cedar or alder planks.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    I go raised direct as well.  Not sure where I got this technique, but this is what I do:
    1) soak the alder plank until time to grill
    2) wrap the bottom of the plank in foil and throw it on the egg while I prepare the fish/shrimp  
    3) remove the plank from the grill and remove the foil from the bottom of the plank
    4) lightly oil the top of the plank, position fish/shrimp and lightly oil top of fish/shrimp
    5) place bare plank directly on raised direct grill grate - cook until finished
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • THE DRU
    THE DRU Posts: 63
    Options
    Raised, direct, 400* dome temp, pull when internal temp is 140*ish., about 16-18 minutes

Versailles, KY

XL, Lg, MM, Performer, Q

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    I have gone 400 raised direct without the plank. Its amazin. I used a little chunk of peach wood. It was a hit. I was aware of hot spots so i moved the fish around using a separate rack on the the AR. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    My method, like many others is:

1. soak plank, fully submerged, for about an hour.
    2. Raised direct setup with temp of around 350-400*.
    3. I like to put a thin coat of dijon, maple or some over type of mustard and then sprinkle brown sugar on top of that.
    4. Cook fish to around 140* IT which takes about 15-20 minutes
    5. Eat the fish and toss the plank (once it's cooled off of course)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Does everyone put skin side down on the plank?
    Cary NC
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    I go skinless but, if there were skin, yes, I would put it skin side down.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    That's it. I'm doing salmon this weekend! Does anyone add any additional smoking wood? Or do you let the lump and the plank do that?

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• brianbala
    brianbala Posts: 29
    Options
    I used Bobby Flay's marinade recipe last night, which Solson005 mentioned above, less the ginger as I didn't have any on hand.  My set up was raised direct at 300 with only a cedar plank (no smoking woods).  I don't eat fish, but the wife said the fish was eggcelent, with my two kids (ages 3 & 6) tearing it up and asking for more.  The marinade/sauce recipe is for eight filets, so we had a good amount left over for dip.
    Two Large Eggs - Located in Marietta, GA (East Cobb)
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options

throw some smoke wood at it. I have used pecan, peach and cherry. All have worked good. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD