Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Umm Hmmm suspended BGE?

Options
I was browsing around the internet looking for prep table ideas and ran across this.  Interesting idea, but... leaves me a bit queezy.

Thoughts?

Simi Valley, California
LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Link doesn't work. I wanna see!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    http://www.houzz.com/photos/2670265/North-Oak-Canyon-modern--austin

Hmmm, not sure I would trust that. The expansion of the egg may cause it to crack, like the old design of the mini nest.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    With my luck it wouldn't last long at all. Not for me. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    Sorry about the link :(

Yeah, it looks cool, but I would not trust it.  Expansion was the first thing I thought of.  
    Simi Valley, California
  • Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    Options
    Yeah it seems you would be putting A LOT of pressure on the upper sides of the egg. I doubt the Egg was designed with that in mind. Considering how heavy some of the big eggs are and the heavy domes opening and closing I would greatly fear of the sides giving way and leaving you with a pile of broken egg all over the place. 

I would not trust such an expensive investment without supporting the base. 
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Looks like a designer doing it for designs sake. Doing what they think looks good without any idea about practicality.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Disaster waiting to happen....looks cools tho!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • SoCal_Griller
    SoCal_Griller Posts: 516
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I wonder if there is some sort of material that can hold the egg and absorb expansion and then re-expand when the egg cools?  In any case it looks like a really bad idea.  Would like to find out what the end result was.  
    Simi Valley, California
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited April 2014
    Options
    ask lowercasebill how that worked for him. looks cool, but someone should tell these guys that they are going to trash some eggs. and that momma isn't going to cover it!image

EDIT... Just to be clear, they DID cover bill's mini break. BGE's design, their nest, their fault. It's why they have a new nest now. They aren't gonna cover the Austin Outdoor Design setup... no matter how cool it looks!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    ask lowercasebill how that worked for him. looks cool, but someone should tell these guys that they are going to trash some eggs. and that momma isn't going to cover it!image
    Carolina Q This picture is the first thing that came to my mind.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,514
    edited April 2014
    Options
    check out this question and the designer's reply, Wow!
    chargarret
    ... Would a design like this be possible with 2 BGE inset in a counter without a support shelf below?
    September 23, 2013 at 2:02pm   Like
    imagePRO
    austin outdoor design
    Definitely! I think that would be a pretty cool installation! Thanks for the love.
    September 23, 2013 at 2:43pm   Like
    canuckland
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    WRONG!!!!!!!
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    WRONG!! Just make the whole in your table too tight and see what happens. Many of you already stated that. But I remember a guy on here about a year ago who had his table snug around the egg and after a few expansions it snapped the thing circumferentialy.

XLBGE 
  • reinhart36
    reinhart36 Posts: 253
    Options
    I was browsing around the internet looking for prep table ideas and ran across this.  Interesting idea, but... leaves me a bit queezy.

Thoughts?

There must be some kind of tapered conical piece that the grill is supported by, hidden behind the table top.  If you notice, the sides of the grill are vertical just where it peeks through the top of the table.  It would just slide the rest of the way through.

Alternatively, that might be a "photoshop" job..
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I bet you could put a metal plate on a L bracket, and have it appear to be holding by the edges, but is really resting on its bottom...right? ?
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Conneggticut_Yankee
    Options

WRONG!!

Just make the whole in your table too tight and see what happens. Many of you already stated that. But I remember a guy on here about a year ago who had his table snug around the egg and after a few expansions it snapped the thing circumferentialy.

I was thinking the same exact thing when I saw this.
    Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @reinhart36 and @sumoconnell If there is a hidden shelf supporting the egg, that would be a pretty clever bit of engineering.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Options
    I sent them an email sharing concern.  God forbid somebody copy their design, especially on a wood patio, and the base busts and falls out due to expansion on a 800 degree clean burn.
    Pentwater, MI
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    @ShadowNick If you get a response please share it.  My guess is they either engineered the heck out of this, or have a sad story to tell.  Or, god forbid, its just a show peice, never used.
    Simi Valley, California
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    IMHO it looks bad.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @ShadowNick - did you send them a pic of the busted mini in the old stand? Should dhave a sobering effect.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Options
    I tried to show my wife the picture and couldn't get to the server. Is it still there?
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Never mind, used the first link, not the good one.