Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Guasacaca Sauce

Options
I recently had lunch at a traditional Venezuelan restaurant and was pleasantly surprised by the "special green sauce" I was given to dip my Arepa in to. I wasted no time asking the server what the name of the sauce was - "Guasacaca Sauce".

I found a number of recipes online, and adapted them into this one below. I have not personally tried this yet, but plan to do so very soon. Have you tried guasacaca sauce yet? If not, you should!

Ingredients
2 ripe Haas avocados, seeded and roughly diced
1/2 small onion, quartered
1 small green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and roughly chopped
2-3 whole jalapeños (adjust for heat)
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup packed roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1/4 cup packed roughly chopped fresh parsley leaves
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/3 cup canola oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions
1. Place avocados, onion, bell pepper, jalapeños, garlic, cilantro, parsley, vinegar, and lime juice in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until everything is finely chopped, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl as needed.
2. With the motor running, drizzle in canola oil through feed tube. Process until sauce is completely smooth.
3. Season sauce with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to bowl and serve immediately.

Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
Cumming, GA  

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Thanks! This sounds wonderful. Bet it would be good as a sauce with salmon! I intend to find out. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Carolina Q - The sauce would give that salmon a nice little kick! Chicken, pulled pork, steaks, burgers - you name it and I bet it'd taste good! Let me know how it turns out.
    Cumming, GA  

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    The interweb describes it as "Venezuelan Guacamole".  Looks good.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Options
    500 said:
    The interweb describes it as "Venezuelan Guacamole".  Looks good.
    Yeah - I did see a few recipes online that made it more chunky (like the guacamole we are accustomed to). The recipe above comes out thinner, but I think both options would taste good. Next time I do guacamole, I might give the chunkier version a try.
    Cumming, GA  

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Hope you didn't have to go to Venezuela to have that. I haven't been down there for 15+ years but it was a real hell hole back then (Caracas) and, I'm sure, even worse these days.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    @TexanOfTheNorth - luckily I only had to go to Norcross, Georgia to a little restaurant called Natarica Grill. I've only had the pleasure if visiting the Dominican Republic years ago and recall the city being very dirty and unsafe. The countryside however was beautiful. I have a brother-in-law from Colombia and appreciate the language (puedo hablar un poco), food and customs of Latin America. It sucks that some of those places are not appealing to visit. But then again, there are plenty of cities in the US I wouldn't want to walk the streets of alone (including the one closest to me, Atlanta). 
    Cumming, GA