Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Companion Parrots

Options
Dawnl
Dawnl Posts: 252
Any one have a companion parrot or two?  After my black lab passed, it hurt soo bad I swore I would never have a pet that passed before me.  So I ended up with 2 parrots and a linnie parakeet.  My big girl is a blue fronted amazon, she is willed to my oldest son, then a peach faced love bird and a green linnie.  My house is never quiet.   :D

PBJ enjoying a bbq pork rib.  She does like my cooking.
Ottawa Valley, Ontario

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Welcome...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Dawnl
    Options
    Thanks!
    Ottawa Valley, Ontario
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Seems to me Doc has a parrot, @Doc_Eggerton.
    SWMBO has a parakeet....doesn't qualify as a parrot..
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    Options
    You're right about the added responsibility of such a long lived pet and anyone considering a parrot needs to recognize this.
    We have had two Congo grey parrots for twenty years and they are probably good for another 10-20 years. One is a great talker with a large repertoire, the other is a master of household noises - smoke alarm, microwave beeps, water down the drain, etc.
    We also have a six year old blue front who, in addition to being a good talker, loves opera and makes up her own arias...not bad either.
    I've talked with my sons about taking the birds when we are gone and their response was "onto the funeral pyre". Fortunately there are other good options.
    "House never quiet" and isn't that nice. When you come home a dog will greet you with a wagging tail, but only a bird will welcome you by name!
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Cyrano de Birdiac, a Blue & Gold Macaw.  Also have a Solomon Island Eclectus, and gave our Blue Crown Conure to my bother to keep him company.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Dawnl
    Options
    @Gezr LOL came home one day yelled out Hello.  PBJ yelled back Hi Stinker.  She must have heard me call the cat a stinker at some time.

@Doc_Eggerton  What a handsome boy!!
    Ottawa Valley, Ontario
  • Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    Options
    It's amazing how their comments will be right in context...Like the time as I was passing through the bird room and Rosie (my Grey) said "Dave, you don't know ****". Brought the house down, and then she never said it again...having made her point no doubt.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options

Rickie, Nanday Conure raised from an egg.

Herky, Senegal Parrot.

imageimage
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options
    Umbrella Cockatoo here...had him nearly 30 years