Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tri tip

Options
First one tomorrow...

What is the ideal IT? All the pics I've seen they look pretty pink...
Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...

Comments

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I like to pull it around 135.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I think most folks would say tri tip is best served medium rare to medium. I like to pull it off when IT hits 127-130 during a reverse sear. During the rest it usually rises up a few degrees. Slice it thin against the grain and you should have some good eats. If you have any that like their meat a little more done serve them from the edges or thinner parts which will be more done.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    As someone who actually lived in Santa Maria (see Santa Maria BBQ), I would say pull it off when you know the middle will be medium rare. The outsides are for those who like it more well done, but those insides should be nice and pink. :)
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    I agree with R2Egg2Q. Slice like this.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Thanks all!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    This meat likes reverse sear IMHO, do the low and slow at 225º or less to keep the ends from getting too well done (I tried foiling once but it was a PITA, worked but not fun) Worked much better (last week first time in the Trés Booblay, meat was edge to edge perfect - the sear was short, missed the smoke effect. Used a board sauce to season. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Thanks skid...mine is in the tub now...125 then will sear
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I just go raised direct at 400F until 130 IT.
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    So now that I look at more posts with pics...I'm not sure what I got at trader Joes was the same thing...it said tri tip roast but most pics I saw have been kind of boomerang shaped...

Was still good...sv at 125 for about 7 hours then seared...then rested

Was good...we will do it again...whatever it was