Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Selling BGEs ? How to start... suggestions from the forum members !!

Options
I am thinking about looking in to selling BGEs and BGE products. Your input and comments are highly needed. I have not began to research it yet.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I would buy one and begun using it, nothing worse that a guy trying to sell me a product gee hasn't used.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    @BYS1981.....I'm using one....got it for Christmas and haven't missed a week yet (except for a week's vacation away from home). Got it going now !!!!!!!  Love my XLBGE.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited March 2014
    Options
    If you really do mean you want to become a dealer then contact the mothership to get the name of the wholesaler for your state. Be aware they won't just sell you one at a time! When a buddy of mine thought about this to augment another of his businesses he was told the initial wholesale purchase was a minimum of $25,000 and then there are expectations for future quantities in multiples of $10k. He was told that new BGE dealerships are no longer tiny 1 or 2 unit sales operations, though in some parts of the country they grandfathered tiny dealerships.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dldawes1
    Options
    @RRP...I understand. I haven't started researching yet, but your comments prompt me to contact them tomorrow for more info. $25K would buy a lot of eggs and accessories. More than I have seen in any stores I have been in. They must keep a lot of eggs in the back room !!!!!! ( or were grandfathered in). I'll see what I can find out tomorrow.

Thanks as always !!!

Donnie

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    RRP said:
    If you really do mean you want to become a dealer then contact the mothership to get the name of the wholesaler for your state. Be aware they won't just sell you one at a time! When a buddy of mine thought about this to augment another of his businesses he was told the initial wholesale purchase was a minimum of $25,000 and then there are expectations for future quantities in multiples of $10k. He was told that new BGE dealerships are no longer tiny 1 or 2 unit sales operations, though in some parts of the country they grandfathered tiny dealerships.

Wow, I wonder if that's why all the Ace Hardware bge dealers around me switched over to kj's.
  • RRP
    Options
    odie91 said:

Wow, I wonder if that's why all the Ace Hardware bge dealers around me switched over to kj's.
     I just imagine ACE would be a corporate account buying in huge quantities and then shipping individually from their own warehouses to their stores one at a time as needed. That would be my guess anyway, so if they switched then corporate switched not the stores.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,141
    Options
    Best way to start - buy lots of inventory and sell it at cost to forum members. Free shipping.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Best way to start - buy lots of inventory and sell it at cost to forum members. Free shipping.
    And throw in a complementary cover too!
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Whaler
    Whaler Posts: 110
    Options
    I tried to become a BGE Dealer for over a year with no success. I have a 57 year old
    family business and had done my homework. About 9 months ago I took on the KJ brand
    as I really wanted a ceramic grill department. BGE now stops by about every 6 weeks
    wanting to sell me Eggs. But I did cook on my Egg last night.
    Pensacola,FL
  • RRP
    Options
    Do you mind sharing more details why it didn't happen?
  • bdollens
    bdollens Posts: 31
    Options
    RRP said:
    odie91 said:

I just imagine ACE would be a corporate account buying in huge quantities and then shipping individually from their own warehouses to their stores one at a time as needed. That would be my guess anyway, so if they switched then corporate switched not the stores.
    It is funny, the Ace Hardware down the street from me swears they are a dealer but after two years they do not show up on the list, but yet they have a couple in thier store and sell all kinds of accessories for them.They asked why I won't buy anything from them and I tell them that until they are on the list, I won't buy from them (then again, the dealer I use is great and has never done me wrong.)

Large, soon to have another size TBD

• Egglegal_Alien
    Egglegal_Alien Posts: 113
    edited March 2014
    Options
    While we're on the topic... do you guys know if there's a limitation that prevents BGE dealers setting up camp in Mexico?

Not a single one south of the border even though it's manufactured here.
    XL BGE + Large BGE @ Monterrey, Mexico
  • Whaler
    Whaler Posts: 110
    Options
    RRP said:
    If this was directed towards me. It seems the new rep was in South Fl and I am 
    in NW FL so she could never get by to see me.
    Pensacola,FL
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    RRP said:
    odie91 said:

All I can say is in Texas Ace is not corp acct. It's store by store.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Whaler said:
    RRP said:
    If this was directed towards me. It seems the new rep was in South Fl and I am 
    in NW FL so she could never get by to see me.
    That is a poor excuse on there part. It sounds like he is able to come to see you now. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options
    The ace near me I Greenville sc is a kJ seller but ace in Clemson is an egg dealer. Not sure how they split it up. The Greenville ace is fairly close to my local egg dealer so maybe too close by to have another dealer so close.
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I think most of the Ace stores are independently run and owned, and while being required to carry certain items, do have some discretion on carrying others, the Egg being one.  I am almost certain the Egg is not bought by Ace corporate and carried in their warehouse and each individual store who chooses to carry the Egg or any comparable product (KJ) does so of their own accord and does so individually.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    Options
    I checked into this a year ago as i am very passionate about the BGE! I contacted the mothership and was directed to call the distributor for my State! I was inquiring about a BGE store only rather than making it a part of my existing business! I ask them if they could refer me to a dealer that was a BGE store only and they referred me to someone out in CA..... I called that place hoping to learn a littler about a BGE store only and to see if it could survive by selling just BGE and accessories and to say the least they were very unhelpful! I guess they thought I would be there competition (Im only about 1700 miles from them) anyway, I finally got in touch with the distributor and pretty much got laughed at so I gave up! I did learn that BGE sells to the distributor and then the distributor marks it up and sells to the dealer then the dealer marks it up to the end user. just seems like a lot of middle men before it gets to the user!     
    Brandon, MS
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
     just seems like a lot of middle men before it gets to the user!     
    Not sure how else it could work.  The grills are very heavy, and somewhat fragile.  Shipping 2 or 3 grills from the mother-ship directly to dealer with a random shipper would cost more, take longer, and have a greater chance of breakage.  
  • loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    Options

Cowdogs said:
     just seems like a lot of middle men before it gets to the user!     
    Not sure how else it could work.  The grills are very heavy, and somewhat fragile.  Shipping 2 or 3 grills from the mother-ship directly to dealer with a random shipper would cost more, take longer, and have a greater chance of breakage.  
    good thought! BUT....if the distributor can ship 2 or 3 grills to the dealer why can't the mother-ship? just sayin! :) 
    Brandon, MS
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

I guess we are the only "BGE Store" outside of Atlanta and Dizzy Pig in Virginia.  Our operation is very visible online thru our website.   We sat with Chris from Dizzy Pig a several years ago and offered suggestions on opening his Egg store back in his planning stages.  We attribute our success to our unique marketing strategy that we are not quick to give away.

We were told a BGE store would not work.  We are open 2 days a week and move over 250 Eggs a year.   In our 9th year and we are still growing.   We have a fanatical interest in BBQ as well as the BGE.  25 years in retail management and buying/merchandising helps.

It can be done, it can be tricky if not done correctly -IMO.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I get the shipping thing to some extent but my local dealer will order me something ONLY when then have enough for X amount.  I was looking for some Eggcessories and possibly a small a year ago.  Went to the dealer and they said they wont be able to get the small for a few months until they had at least 6 Eggs to order.   I never got the small and went aftermarket for the Eggcessories.

Why couldn't the local dealer just ask how much it would have been to add the shipping costs to it? 

Garnerville, NY
  • dldawes1
    Options
    I sent an email to BGE but no responses yet. I guess one guy wanting to sell isn't important to the big guys !!!!!!!

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I wouldn't email. ..I'd call.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options

I guess we are the only "BGE Store" outside of Atlanta and Dizzy Pig in Virginia.  Our operation is very visible online thru our website.   We sat with Chris from Dizzy Pig a several years ago and offered suggestions on opening his Egg store back in his planning stages.  We attribute our success to our unique marketing strategy that we are not quick to give away.

How goes it Smitty! Seeing your operation was a huge help for our decision, and I have not even seen your new place!!  We've succeeded as a BGE dealer with a small store and really zero drive by traffic. We feel like our retail store's success is due to our extensive knowledge of the product, and how our entire company principle revolves around helping people make better food. We get fantastic support from both BGE and our distributor.

Hope all is well brother. Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • bigdaddydivo
    Options
    Ok I bought my first bge and ive really researched it a lot. I have also been lurking here quite a bit just soaking up all the cooking and bge info. I have two "dealers" near me. The first is about three miles away and the second is about 18 miles away. The first one just became adealer about six months ago and he has a small showroom with a nice little selection with an egg or two and lots of eggcessories. The second dealer has a nice bbq and fireplace shop inside an agway. The second one has a couple of eggs and some eggcessories. Both sell a large in a nest. The first one is selling it at about $1200.00 + -. The second one has a sale a couple times a year with a large for $1000.00+-. I bought a large for $783.00 and a crap ton of extras with the entire cost being $1400 even. The place I bought it has all kinds of stuff with bge bundles and cooking classes and store brands of certain items that are what some say better than the bge stuff. I definitely think it pays to shop around and talk to the dealers and compare. Ive been waiting about three years to trade up from my weber and im almost there. I know I didnt pay sales tax and it will cost me a tank of gas to go get it but I still feel like im money ahead going to a bbq store and not someplace that sells bge as a sideline, just sayin. Thanks

LBGE, Weber One touch 26.75, an old gasser, firepit and more gadgets than ten people need

Livonia N.Y. (the vampire state)

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    @bigdaddydivo‌ my experience with my dealer has been nothing but positive. His main business is fireplaces, pellet stoves, coal stoves, etc. He also sells BGE, pellet grills, and gassers. They sell lots of eggs but don't make a living off egg sales. With that being said, they still know the product and have been great about service after the sale.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    @bigdaddydivo‌ my experience with my dealer has been nothing but positive. His main business is fireplaces, pellet stoves, coal stoves, etc. He also sells BGE, pellet grills, and gassers. They sell lots of eggs but don't make a living off egg sales. With that being said, they still know the product and have been great about service after the sale.
    It is the same business set up but the opposite experience for me. The only dealer I have is an idiot. It is also a side business for his fireplace showroom. None and I mean none of the staff know nothing about the product or eggcessories. I have to tell them whats readily available. And all that was prior to buying my egg. I went and bought my egg stateside. When I bought my mini last summer in the US they didn't have a platesetter and that is the only thing I have bought locally. They seem to not even care about the products they are selling and I get the impression that their **** don't stink. the couple of times I have gone in there I get the up and down look and then have to ask for assistance. I hate them so.
  • ChrisSonn23
    ChrisSonn23 Posts: 280
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    I sent an email to BGE but no responses yet. I guess one guy wanting to sell isn't important to the big guys !!!!!!!  
    I agree to call them. We are a new dealer for BGE (1 year) and love it! We got our start by attending a local EggFest and got put it touch with a local distributor. You have to be knowledgeable on them because most people who are interested in them have done their homework. Also BGE protects their dealers, so make sure there are no dealers near you. If you have any questions PM me. I may be able to put you in touch with our distributor if you are in our neck of the woods. Good Luck!
    BGE Dealer and EggHead since 2013. Find our company on Facebook
    Large BGE
    Waterloo, IL
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I'll tell you what not to expect..an answer froma bge rep on this forum. I've seen one, ONE, post from a company rep over the 2 years I have been here. Lol