Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg Owner!

Options
Hey Everyone,

I figured I pop in here real quick. Well I finally got my Large Egg yesterday. Im coming from a 22.5 WSM that Ive hated almost since the day I bought it 4 years ago. I still love my Ranch Kettle, but Im excited about the switch.

One question I have, is it recommended to do a burn in before the first cook? You know, just run it up to temperature? Just wondering, I plan to cook on it tonight when I finish my table, I just have to finish the top, and put on the casters.

Comments

• brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Options
    Start with something familiar and keep the temperature below 400 for the first few cooks. Your gasket will thank you. I started with chicken and pork chops before doing pizzas at 700 degrees.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I let mine burn around 350 for a few hours just to fiddle with it. Wether it is a "must" I have no clue but it certainly can't hurt anything. Just don't go to hot to soon
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Stidrvr
    Stidrvr Posts: 54
    Options
    Everything I have is frozen so most likely Ill be picking up some burgers. So nothing too crazy.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I would highly recommend doing at least one "test" burn where you get it up to 250°f, hold it steady for 30 min or so.  Then up it to 350°f, try getting it stable for a bit.  Then take it up to 450°f.    That will just give you a good feel for some of the settings. 

Then if you're comfortable, throw those burgers on and cook them while you have it hot.  I usually go 4 minutes a side for 1/3 pound burgers, but I like my burgers cooked, not rare. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • grege345
    Options
    Have fun and clean the camera lens on your phone.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Welcome.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    the BGE was my first experience with any sort of charcoal grill and I burned almost half a bag of lump just playing around with temperatures.  I don't think a person needs to do that, but I was so excited to use it I didn't care.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome aboard!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Welcome!!! Enjoy! And take pictures... otherwise it never happened :))
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Here's a great ceramic cooking reference that will likely answer many of your questions; http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm Check it out when you have time.  
    BTW-degree of Kool-Aid consumption a matter of personal choice
    :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Stidrvr
    Options
    Heres the table I threw together today. It based of a plan I saw online. It is just temporary so I could see exactly what Id like for height and workspace, hence the reason its made outta pine and 2x4s. Anyway, heres a pic.... you know for proof ;)

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    Options
    Welcome Brother...
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • grege345
    Options

Welcome Brother...

Ya now cook something :)

• Stidrvr
    Options
    grege345 said:
    Welcome Brother...
    Ya now cook something :)
    Just waiting for the wife to get back from the store. 

Took advantage of the free time I had and tested her out. Ive used lump before but only on few cooks. I usually used Kingsford (taking advantage of the memorial day sales) but I can see all the ash causing a problem in an Egg. Plus Im really getting sick of the taste that Kingsford gives. Ive only been using it because I still have so much left over. 

As far as the lump though, I hit it with a Map gas torch in a few spots and was amazed at how quickly it gets up to temp!

• pigoutsc
    pigoutsc Posts: 92
    Options
    Welcome Stidrvr!  I have a WSM 22 as well and am not a huge fan although I still use it from time to time. You are going to love your egg. By the way did you do much smoking on your weber ranch? I have been thinking about getting one some day. Again welcome aboard.
  • grege345
    Options
    Please tell me your not usin kings ford in your egg?

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    My first cook was a low & slow brisket at around 225F-275F dome and think it ran for around 18hrs for a 15# packet and I just let it burn itself out for the first several cooks (I didn't snuff it).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    Welcome and you've come to the right place. Best way to learn is just keep asking questions. And I'm so impressed you just "threw" at table together. I couldn't do that in two weeks.

But grege is right. Don't use the Kingsford!
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited March 2014
    Options
    +3 on Kingsford [-X Sadly I have 80# of Kingsford in my shed. Burn barrel with yard waste may be in its future. :-D
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • grussem
    grussem Posts: 120
    Options
    Congrats! Welcome to the BGE world!

• Stidrvr
    edited March 2014
    Options
    grege345 said:
    Please tell me your not usin kings ford in your egg?
    Good god no, I only have about three bags left, those will be used on the Ranch when I have "lots" to cook.

pigoutsc said:
    Welcome Stidrvr!  I have a WSM 22 as well and am not a huge fan although I still use it from time to time. You are going to love your egg. By the way did you do much smoking on your weber ranch? I have been thinking about getting one some day. Again welcome aboard.
    I mainly use the Ranch kettle when I have a lot to cook. My mother hosts a family get together every year. I bring the Ranch to her house and cook burgers brats and hot dogs. Usually 20+ burgers and two party packs of brats (24 I think). Its nice cause I can do it all at once. I have done ribs on the Ranch though, but there were grilled not smoked, about 350ish. I have thought about using the Ranch for smoking. I think it seals better then the WSM, but haven't really controlled temps with it, just used mainly for grilling. Heres a pic I took while cooking some chicken. 16 Chicken thighs and 7 BS breasts, with lots of room to spare.

• Stidrvr
    Options
    Welcome and you've come to the right place. Best way to learn is just keep asking questions. And I'm so impressed you just "threw" at table together. I couldn't do that in two weeks.

But grege is right. Don't use the Kingsford!
    Ok, little confession, it took about two days. Only because I bought 8ft boards instead of 10ft and it was 10pm, so I had to go back today. I really wanted a nest but couldn't justify the $160 for temporary use until I built a table. Eventually I will build a table that will be for long term. I already think the lower shelf, that the Egg sits on is too high from me. Plus I will probably make it a little longer, for another large :D
  • roblew
    roblew Posts: 78
    Options
    Welcome aboard. I hope you know this is addicting???????
    Ringgold GA LBGE
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Welcome! Hey your temporary table beats my temporary foot stool any day!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I'd get a dead animal on the egg asap.  They go bad if you don't use them often....

Easy cook is a turbo butt - get a ~7lb butt, cook at 350 until 205 IT and the bone wants to fall out.

:)
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    roblew said:

Welcome aboard. I hope you know this is addicting???????

+3 addicting. Hi my names_______ (Blake) and I'm an eggaholic. :-). @Stidrvr‌ Welcome aboard!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Stidrvr
    Options
    I'd get a dead animal on the egg asap.  They go bad if you don't use them often....

Easy cook is a turbo butt - get a ~7lb butt, cook at 350 until 205 IT and the bone wants to fall out.

:)
    Ive got two frozen butts in the freezer, plus one from a friend at work who jest started butchering. I just heard about the turbo butts the other day and plan on given it a try next saturday. 

Its currently holding steady at 350f waiting for the wife, she just had to run a "few" places. That was two hours ago  B-)
  • Stidrvr
    Options
    Dead animal is being cooked.
  • Stidrvr
    Options
    All done and consumed! Very tasty too.

• grege345
    Options
    Welp that's it. It has been christened!! How you going to bring up the next egg to the wife?