Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

raw pizza dough: waste not - want not and BE HAPPY!

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,887
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum
I found a knock off recipe of Papa Murphy's pizza dough and we really like it. Besides being tasty it can be rolled very thin. Even though I have cut the quantity of ingredients back so as to make a 14" pizza I always have excess dough which I throw away. Last night it hit me - since the flour is King Arthur bread flour why not try to make a small loaf of bread! The final baked loaf was about 9" x 5" x 4" and right out of the oven we ate over half of it! What's really great is it tastes identical to the bread served at a popular local Italian restaurant called Avanti's in Peoria, IL.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Looking good! Another use of leftover pizza dough, divide it into marble size balls and deep fry it. Roll it in a bit of powdered sugar when it comes out and you have yummy bites of something. :)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Looks great!  
    I finally learned to not "punch down" my pizza dough and let it rise a second time, the pies are so much easier to form with less "snap back" (I don't roll my dough, I use the gravity/knuckle stretch method, and used to toss it too until I got a kitchen ceiling fan).  
    So I'm wondering, did you punch this dough down and let it rise a second time, as you do with bread?  I'm anxious to try this.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• RRP
    No I did not as it "wasn't in the recipe to do so" but this dough has next to no snap back at all! I knuckle the ball also just to get it spreading, but then since the wife and I like our crusts to be ubber thin and uniform I use the flour covered rolling pin and it rolls out and just stays there!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Nice even coloration on the crust.Ron did you bake this in the BGE or in the oven? Either way looks great and excellent idea for excess dough.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    edited March 2014
    no - the whole idea was spur of the comment as I was about to throw the dough in the trash! I just waited for the kitchen oven to come up to 425 and stuck it in a pan and baked it for 12 minutes! What is further amazing is where I got the 425 and 12 as it was strictly out of the air! LOL

PS the pizza went on the BGE 4 hours later and was GREAT!
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    RRP, do you mind sharing that dough recipe?
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • RRP
    Here's the recipe:

PAPA MURPHY KNOCK OFF CRUST

(actually a variation thereof and tweaked to my liking - RRP)

Preparation time: 2 hours!

Ingredients:

For 16” thick                          For 14” thin*           

1 ¼ cup warm water                              7 oz warm water**            

1 packet active dry yeast                       1 packet active dry yeast

1 ¼ T sugar                                          1 T sugar

3 ¼ cups flour for bread                         2 ½ cups flour for bread

½ tea salt                                             3/8 tea salt

* even at this when rolled out thin there is enough dough left over to make a small loaf of bread!

** warm water in microwave to 100 to 105 degrees. (30 sec on high)

Directions:

Mix together the first three ingredients in a glass container with a two cup or larger capacity. Allow to sit for eight minutes. The mixture will froth somewhat.

Place flour and salt in a large bowl or in the mixing bowl of a mixer with a dough hook. Add liquid to flour and mix thoroughly for six minutes on #2 speed on your KitchenAid. The end result should be slightly stick and firm.

Remove from mixer bowl and place in a metal bowl sprayed with PAM, cover bowl loosely with Saran Wrap and place in warm oven for 90 minute to rise. (Preheat oven to 200 degrees but when reached turn off and place dough in oven.)

Roll out with flour dusted rolling pin.

I bake at 475° dome. BTW I roll my crust out on parchment paper. 8 minutes into the bake I removed the paper and by just 10 minutes in total that crust and pizza is perfect!

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited March 2014
    Only one b in Über there big fella

Steve 

Caledon, ON