Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Austin - Franklin or La BBQ

Options
I'm going to be in Austin for two days for work. I'll have some free time one day and plan on hitting one of these places. Franklin is my first choice, but not sure I have time to stand in line. What time would I need to get in line on a Thursday for either one? Thanks for the help.
Austin, TX

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I know Cazzy will disagree but there is no close 2nd place to Franklin. Period. I guess laBBQ would be considered close but not by me. Cool place, cool
    People and probably the best bbq you have ever had........if you haven't had Franklin.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Eggcelsior had them both a fee days apart 2 weeks ago. Ask him.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Cazzy...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Go to Franklin.  Spend the time...it's worth the visit and the experience is something you'll never forget.  

La Barbecue is good and the quality to wait ratio is very good. They let me down during SXSW when I referred a brisket snob over there.  They likely had an off day because of the volume, but Franklin never has an off day.  They're beyond consistent.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I know Cazzy will disagree but there is no close 2nd place to Franklin. Period. I guess laBBQ would be considered close but not by me. Cool place, cool People and probably the best bbq you have ever had........if you haven't had Franklin.
    I'll say again...brisket wise, the difference between them a day apart was the flat at Franklin was a tad more moist.  The point was near identical.  Beef rib was great.  I had a different experience than you did.  

Here's the question though, can you find better barbecue for less than an hour wait?  I think that would be tough.  Not everyone has 4 hours to blow.  

The experience is better at Franklin...staff makes you feel like you're at home and everything is pretty stellar.  
  • Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 482
    Options
    Thanks guys. That's my problem, really want to go to Franklin, but not sure I have 4 hours...

So @cazzy - you're saying would take 4 hours at Franklin but 1 hour at La? Thanks
    Austin, TX
  • Troglodyte
    Troglodyte Posts: 104
    Options
    I've had excellent BBQ at Micklethwait's.  It's only a few blocks from Franklins.  At noon on Saturday, we waited one hour for the food.  Not bad, considering it was Saturday.

Jimmy Kimmel did a comparison of the 4 best BBQ places in Austin.  Here is the video:

-----------------------------------------------------
    Albuquerque, NM
    Large BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • cazzy
    Options
    Thanks guys. That's my problem, really want to go to Franklin, but not sure I have 4 hours...

So @cazzy - you're saying would take 4 hours at Franklin but 1 hour at La? Thanks
    depends what day you go.  3 hours Tuesday through Thursday at Franklin.  4 hours Friday and Sunday.  4.5-5 hours on Saturday. 

At La, you're looking at 30 min Wednesday and Thursday.  A hour Friday-Sunday.
  • Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 482
    Options
    @cazzy - It will be a Thursday - thanks man 
    Austin, TX
  • cazzy
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I've had excellent BBQ at Micklethwait's.  It's only a few blocks from Franklins.  At noon on Saturday, we waited one hour for the food.  Not bad, considering it was Saturday.

Jimmy Kimmel did a comparison of the 4 best BBQ places in Austin.  Here is the video:

Micklethwait's Craft Meats is very good, especially in a sandwich.  All his bread is homemade.  

You also have Stiles Switch...Lance Kirkpatrick is the pitmaster.  He was the pit boss for Bobby Mueller at Louie Mueller Barbecue after John quit.   
  • henapple
    Options
    @Troglodyte‌ Who gives a **** what jimmy says..? This video has been posted like 47 times. I trust @Cazzy and centex.
  • Troglodyte
    Troglodyte Posts: 104
    Options
    @henapple Who asked you, Clown?  Maybe somebody in your clique should have posted it.

-----------------------------------------------------
    Albuquerque, NM
    Large BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • henapple
    Options
    Just saying it's older than my grandmother. ..and she farts dust.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Gary, your alter ego isn't working.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • henapple
    Options
    No ****..
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I mean if I drove all the way from New Mexico In the middle of the week, I would have gone to Franklins but that's just me.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Franklin's Franklin's Franklin's Franklin's.

CT showed me a good time at LaBBQ, wait isn't too bad, beef rib was good, brisket was okay. Better than anything I can get in Maryland, but only as good as stuff I've made.

Franklin's was transcendent. I'll be going every time I'm in Austin. When they pulled the brisket out of the warmer it jiggled like Homers belly. Melted in my mouth. The flat was moister than any point I've ever had.

If you have time, go to CTs house. His brisket was the second best I had.
  • cazzy
    Options

If you have time, go to CTs house. His brisket was the second best I had.

Salado Brisket or Salado Brisket V2?
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options

"If you have time, go to CTs house. His brisket was the second best I had. "

I'm guessing his son didn't cook one while you were around.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Make sure you go go bangers on rainey st for hipster beer and sausages. :) honestly though, it's cool..the whole street is fun.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Make sure you go go bangers on rainey st for hipster beer and sausages. :) honestly though, it's cool..the whole street is fun.
    That's where we were. Dickies owned the joint all week for SXSW And that's where we saw Ludacris. I thought the food sucked but the drinks were flowing so I was happy.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Who's the happy couple on the VIP porch at bangers?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    This was pre-haircut time. Damn I wanted that to happen.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Bangers was fun. I'll surmise that the food was "ballpark" quality due to the holding trays for the event. I won't call it hipster beer because they only PBR they had was in cans, not draft. 300 taps were awesome. CT made it over the top.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    henapple said:
    @Troglodyte‌ Who gives a **** what jimmy says..? This video has been posted like 47 times. I trust @Cazzy and centex.
    Jimmy has an egg, and hangs out with another egger Adam Perry Lang.  I respect his opinion.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Lustre pearl, container bar, and what's the ultimate hipster one, craft pride...self serve, what beer you choose and pay for gives a donation.

I'm sensing(edit) a field trip!

Cool hangout centex... very cool.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Lustre pearl, container bar, and what's the ultimate hipster one, craft pride...self serve, what beer you choose and pay for gives a donation. I'm sending a field trip! Cool hangout centex... very cool.
    we had Lustre the last 4 years and moved to Bangers this year. I liked lustre better but we had a great time. Eggcelsior and spouse walked right in to my wheel house that weekend. I sit at home and play words with friends 51 weeks a year, but that one weekend............:))

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Gary, your alter ego isn't working.
    wait...Gary who? You know this guy?

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    CT, you need hit up Waleska in words with friends. She's on that everyday.