Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meatloaf is on!

Options
TexanOfTheNorth
TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
edited March 2014 in Beef
Just got my meatloaf on the BGE for tonight's dinner, I'm expecting about an 1 1/2 hr. at 350* raised; but, who knows, we'll eat when it's ready!

Mixed up my meat.

Made a bacon weave to wrap the loaf

Formed my loaf on the bacon weave

Rolled and ready for the egg

On the egg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Awesome just awesome. I want to try this as well. What meatloaf recipe did u use?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited March 2014
    Options
    thats looks good coach! direct/indirect? 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Yes please!

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Wow, that looks great so far ... looking forward to final pictures.  Any problems with bacon fat dripping?
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Can't wait to see how this turns out!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    GATABITES said:
    thats looks good coach! direct/indirect? 
    Direct @ 350*. Took about 1 3/4 hrs. to reach IT of 160*imageimageimage
    grege345 said:
    Awesome just awesome. I want to try this as well. What meatloaf recipe did u use?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    grege345 said:
    Can't find the link right now. I'll type the recipe in in the morning.
    EggNorth said:
    Wow, that looks great so far ... looking forward to final pictures.  Any problems with bacon fat dripping?
    No. I thought there would be but it really was not a problem at all. I did a raised direct set-up.
    Options
    Now that's a meatloaf and a fine looking meal - vegetables in there to balance the meal.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited March 2014
    Options
    BACON!! Mmmmmm I love, love, love smoked meatloaf. You sir have taken it to a different level. Nicely done!!

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited March 2014
    Options
    @grege345 - Here's the recipe:

Brown Sugar Ketchup Glaze:
    1/2 cup ketchup
    4 tbsp brown sugar
    4 tsp vinegar (any type but I use apple cider vineger)

Meat Loaf:
    2 tsp vegetable oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    2 garlic gloves, minced
    2 large eggs
    1/2 tsp dried thyme
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp ground black pepper
    2 tsp dijon mustard
    2 tsp worcestershire sauce
    1/4 tsp hot sauce
    1/2 cup milk
    2 lb. ground beef (the actual recipe calls for 1 lb. ground chuck, 1/2 lb. ground pork and 1/2 lb. ground veal)
    2/3 cup crushed saltine crackers

For the glaze, mix all ingredients in a small pan and set aside.

For the meatloaf, heat oil in skillet and add onion and garlic. Saute until softened and set aside to cool. Mix eggs with s&p, thyme, mustard, worcestershire sauce  and milk. Add to meat along with onion and garlic until fully blended.

I actually only used about 1/2 cup of milk for this one as I did not want the meat to be too wet. Mine held up really well when I formed it into a loaf and the bacon weave added some additional "support".

I turned the loaf about every 1/2 hour and started using some of the glaze after the first hour of the cook; just brushing it on the top side of the loaf. You may want to make extra glaze, and warm it up a bit, to put on the meatloaf slices when they're served.

Options
    That looks like it will be great.

Best part of meatloaf is doing a sandwich the next day (or at 2 in the morning) with the leftovers, sourdough bread, and cheese.

Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Ty @TexanOfTheNorth bookmarked and will be doin next weekend !!
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    Absolutely the bomb..That is amazing... 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Nicely done!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options

I've cooked meatloaf on the egg before, but not with so much bacon.  Next one, I'll try the bacon weave.  Looks wonderful.

Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    That looks like it will be great.

Best part of meatloaf is doing a sandwich the next day (or at 2 in the morning) with the leftovers, sourdough bread, and cheese.

Just ate a leftover piece for lunch; maybe even better than Saturday dinner as the smoke flavor is now more pronounced.
    Options
    Aw Hell that looks good. Wow
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.