Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First brisket going on tonight

Options
2»

Comments

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    A few more questions, before I finish: When I pull the brisket to FTC, do I separate point and flat and wrap them separately or just throw the entire thing in as one piece?
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    No, wrap the whole thing as one piece
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Also, with your experience, how long is it safe to FTC without degrading the quality of the meat? I'll probably have to pull it at 11:30 or so, and guests won't be here until 3:00
    Athens, GA
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    You won't have any problem with that time. Make sure that you fill any void space in your cooler with towels.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I will. I'll be using the Yeti, too, and it holds temp almost as good as the Egg does.
    Athens, GA
  • pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    Options
    Mayberry said:
    Also, with your experience, how long is it safe to FTC without degrading the quality of the meat? I'll probably have to pull it at 11:30 or so, and guests won't be here until 3:00
    From what I've heard you can FTC for a very long time without any issues. In fact (from what I've read) it sounds like it can only help. 

My biggest disaster so far was a brisket that I cooked too low and far too long. I now have a probe for the grate temp and use that instead of dome. I think the lowest I will go is 250 grate temp from here on out, but I only have 3 briskets under my belt. 
    XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    You could still have some time to go. The one I did last week creeped for that last 15 degrees. Also, when you get to this point, I go more by feel. If you can insert your probe with no resistance then you are done.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    You could still have some time to go. The one I did last week creeped for that last 15 degrees. Also, when you get to this point, I go more by feel. If you can insert your probe with no resistance then you are done.
    +1
    Options
    I have FTC'd  brikset for 5 hours and its no issue at all .
    still warm and juicy .
    Toronto
  • Mayberry
    Options
    So, it's 196 in the thick part of the flat and the probe is sliding in easily. Also, the whole brisket jiggles like jelly when I open the Egg. Pull now or let it ride for a while longer?
    Athens, GA
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Probe in several spots; if it slides in and out with no resistance then it is ready to pull and FTC.

Remember to take some pics for posting. 
    ;)
    Options
    Just pulled. When I pulled the maverick probe, a ton of clear juices poured out of the flat. Maybe a good sign?!
    Athens, GA
  • Mayberry
    Options
    Here's a pic right before I pulled. Look like it's supposed to?
    Athens, GA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Sure does!   Should be good.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Oh my. He's gonna put himself in a meat coma with that thing. Well done. Let us know how it was
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• New2Q
    New2Q Posts: 171
    Options
    So where are the sliced pictures?
  • Mayberry
    Options
    Sorry....I was indeed in meat coma last night and couldn't make myself post after shots. Turned out perfect. I'm sure you Texas boys may get a little juicier, but this wasn't dry at all. Pictures were 10-15 minutes after slicing. None was left, so that's a good sign. Very good....thanks to everyone for your help.
    Athens, GA
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Sorry to hear that there were no leftovers; I was going to ask you to send some up to me!  :P
    Options
    Looks good - well done!