Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket problems

Options
piney
piney Posts: 1,478
I started a 7lb brisket about midnight last night on a full load of RO and oak chunks, I set the DigiQ to 235 grid, the wind was blowing 30 to 40 mph gust. To make a long story short I was up all night with this, at 7am the grid temp was 169 fire out RO gone! I just rebuilt the fire replaced brisket (inter temp 151) and wraped in foil.What next???
Lenoir, N.C.

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Were you planning to wrap anyway?

Now that you've got the lump going again just carry on (and try to get some rest).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Texan of North, no I was not planning on the wrap but I am afraid it will be as dry as jerky.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Unless the temp shot way up and the brisket IT went over 200* for an extended period and then cooled back down to 151* I don't see why it would be dry but, I'm no expert!

Hope it turns out okay.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    What temp was your egg running at for the most part? Burning through a whole load of lump in 7 hours is odd.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • piney
    Options
    No I don't think the IT got over 158. I have restarted @ 265 grid. I am wondering if all the wind had a lot to do with this? I have used RO for years it doesn't last as long as others but 5-6 hrs on full load is a little premature. I hope I don't have a RO issue since I just bought 35 bags!! 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Thermos calibrated?

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • piney
    Options
    Well I got this thing to about 197 it seems for the most part a little tough...should I go a little longer or FTC?
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited March 2014
    Options
    If it doesn't probe tender, it's not ready yet. Check it again at 200, then every degree change after that.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • piney
    Options
    Ok thanks Cazzy parts are 188-189 other parts are 198-200 I will give it a while longer
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Do you have a packer or part of a packer? If that's the case, it's likely the point that's reading higher. Any pictures of the cut?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    The only way the wind could have been a factor if the front of the egg was facing the wind. If so you should have turned it away from it. It is still funny you went through a whole load of lump. It was to the top of the fire ring correct? I've not done a long cook over night yet so I am going from what I think could have happened. Let us know it came out.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    Options
    patience... dont panic. just ride it out until it pokes easily.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • piney
    Options
    Thanks to all, the brisket turned out great (I say that but I only got 1piece) everyone loved it.  thank you Cazzy, Gamecock, Texas, Ladeback I guess the wind is what made the lump burn so quickly.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Glad to hear that it turned out okay, however, the lack of pictures will make many wonder whether there was ever a "real" brisket in the first place!  ;)
    Options
    I know Texan I have got to do better on the pics! I cook all the time and never post pics, I am going to mend my ways. Thanks again I was afraid it was going to be trash. The main things that are taught here is patience, and cook to temp...and this cook was a great example. 
    Lenoir, N.C.