Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Wok Set ups

Just got back from a 13 day trip to China. Came back inspired to cook me some Asian cuisine . Please post pictures of your wok set ups preferably on a BGE Large. I have attached a photo of what believe is the first BGE prototype found in the Forbidden City. Lol And a fun picture from the Greatwall Thanks
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
image.jpg 634.5K
image.jpg 665.5K
·

Comments

• NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,246
    Here's the basic set up I use.

Spider rig inverted on top of the fire ring with wok resting on it.  One day when I grow up, I hope to get a wok with two moon handles on each side instead of the long handle which prohibits closing the top fully.  But stir frying is so quick this really hasn't been an issue.

This is a flat bottom wok so I can also just use it directly on the cooking grate. 

Nice trip!
    ·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    Spider legs down with a 16" carbon steel wok (this one from CGS):
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Works well with a 14" wok as well.
    What part of the wall did you visit?
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,760
    edited March 2014
    On my large BGE, I will either use a 14" "D" handles with spider legs up or down depending what I am cooking or use a 14"-16" flat bottom on the grate.  However a few years ago I got a new toy and use it  with a 14" wood handle or "D" handles. 

The wood handle gives me more control over the cook..  This is my preferred method of woking now.
    ·
  • jfm0830jfm0830 Posts: 912
    edited March 2014
    Same setup as @R2Egg2Q. Spider from the CGS and a 16" hand hammered D-Handle wok which I got from the Wok Shop in San Francisco.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
    ·
  • AltonAlton Posts: 431
    Thanks guys, sounds like I need to get a spider
    ·
  • GATABITESGATABITES Posts: 965
    I have the 19' and woo2 for the XL. I am ready for spring to get back to woking outside. image
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Reisterstown, MD
    ·
  • fletcherfamfletcherfam Posts: 855
    I personally use a camp chef two burner stove, wok is not within 15 seconds of starting the gas burner. Don't really want to wait that long, or waste that much lump for the wok on the egg.
    ·
  • GATABITESGATABITES Posts: 965
    lump isnt that expensive. I never worry about conserving lump unless im down to the last bag. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Reisterstown, MD
    ·
    Well I bought the 16" and woo from CGS. But how do you set your bottom vent? Is it difficult to regulate the temp?
    ·
  • EggoMaticEggoMatic Posts: 130
    Well I'm about to find out tonight I'm seasoning mine right now.
    LBGE Virginia Beach, Virginia
    ·
  • NDGNDG Posts: 1,096
    I drop my WOK into the WOO Ring  . . . 

Columbus, Ohio
    ·
    Decided on a NOLA Lenten Feast...Fried shrimp and Catfish ... Worked fabulous.... Loved the set up and clean up.
    image.jpg 1005.8K
    image.jpg 983K
    image.jpg 991.7K
    image.jpg 906.6K
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,026
    @alton - that looks fabulous. I love me dome fried catfish.

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
    Thanks
    ·