Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
National BBQ Month sure was tasty! We hope you got to try just as many new BBQ recipes as we did and some old favorites as well. If not, you can find all our BBQ recipes here and try them out all summer long. One of our favorites was Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise and Ted Reader’s Rum Injected Sweet Potatoes. As the weather’s heating up, use your EGG for a cool treat-Ice Cream Sandwiches! Keep an eye out for some Father’s Day recipes from chefs & their dads, coming soon!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Burp The Egg

Has anyone ever forgotten to burp the egg? I did tonight. Good thing I needed a haircut. Will get it cut tomorrow and eyebrows trimed.
XL, WSM, Little Kahuna
Kansas City, Mo.
·

Comments

• TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Been there done that. Watch out for the bottom draft flashback while wearing shorts. Arm hair is not the only thing you can lose.
  • DMWDMW Posts: 6,631
    Happens to all of us. Or at least it happens to me.
    My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
    ·
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,330
    A more relevant question would be who has not experienced a flash back.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • JeremiahJeremiah Posts: 2,371
    Pics!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
    ·
  • KtimKtim Posts: 364
    Tjcoley that is the funniest thing I have ever heard.
    sumpter township Mi.
    ·
  • berndcrispberndcrisp Posts: 768
    edited March 2014
    You probably won't forget again! I don't think I will.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,797
    Yep. Forgot and burned my hair, eyelashes, eyebrows, arm hair in Salado. The other night, I burped it many times but still lost arm hair because the egg was at nuclear temps. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,525
    You ain't kiddin,TJ!! That bottom draft door blow back got me the last time I made pizza It was rather cool to watch the blue flame coming out of the screen.

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • ZmokinZmokin Posts: 1,638
    I haven't had mine do that yet.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

·
  • Zmokin said:
    you aren't trying hard enough.............

·
  • NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 10,354
    Poof! Flashback HD, The Movie:
    LBGE 2012, Mini MAX 2014, SS Table and Stoker
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Middleburg, FL
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,276
    It's called a "back, crack and sack wax"..,.people pay money for that.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • Egglegal_AlienEgglegal_Alien Posts: 113
    edited March 2014
    Tjcoley said:
    Been there done that. Watch out for the bottom draft flashback while wearing shorts. Arm hair is not the only thing you can lose.
    I was just getting back on the horse after my first flashback and being very careful about them when the darn bottom damper flashed my leg... totally uncalled for, hehe.

XL BGE + Large BGE @ Monterrey, Mexico
    ·
  • Egglegal_AlienEgglegal_Alien Posts: 113
    edited March 2014
    I don't really burp the Egg any more, instead, when the conditions call for burping, I open both the daisy wheel (first) and draft door for 5-10 secs and then slowly open the dome... seems to be working, I've seen some top flashes but not once has a flash come from either the draft door or under the dome when while I'm opening it since I started doing this.

XL BGE + Large BGE @ Monterrey, Mexico
    ·
  • Cuda1965Cuda1965 Posts: 49
    Forgetting to burp can be somewhat self critiquing....l have had a few back drafts after opening the bottom door. It was an awakening experience.
    ·
  • duchunterduchunter Posts: 110
    I seem to forget to burp the egg every once in a while.......................should get a sign put on my egg that says "please burp first"!! 

Egg Family: Large and Medium Eggs and a Bradley Smoker

·
  • chashanschashans Posts: 418
    Zmokin said:
    +2
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,797
    henapple said:

It's called a "back, crack and sack wax"..,.people pay money for that.

Again... Wear some damn pants when you're egging.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • PNWFoodiePNWFoodie Posts: 1,013
    This is scaring the newbie....
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
    ·
  • HolepuncherHolepuncher Posts: 256
    PNWFoodie said:
    This is scaring the newbie....
    Hopefully it will only scare you once.
    Hendersonville, TN.
    ·
  • GATABITESGATABITES Posts: 1,075
    never had a draft from the lower vent. the egg ceases to amaze me. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Reisterstown, MD
    ·
  • dldawes1dldawes1 Posts: 1,091
    My eyebrows and eyelashes did not need trimming after I forgot to burp !!!!

Grown back now, thank goodness !!!

Donnie Dawes - Carrollton, KY  

1-XLBGE, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

IF IT AIN'T MOVIN', SMOKE IT !!!!!

·
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 946
    When you say burp the egg, are you just opening the top an inch or so then closing it to allow a little air to the fire and then opening the lid? At what temp does this become a problem. I have cooked quite a few pies in the 600-650 range and haven't had any issues. I'm assuming at higher temps?
    Bristow Virginia XLBGE One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
    ·
  • BuckeyeBobBuckeyeBob Posts: 645
    edited March 2014
    GeorgeS said:
    When you say burp the egg, are you just opening the top an inch or so then closing it to allow a little air to the fire and then opening the lid? At what temp does this become a problem. I have cooked quite a few pies in the 600-650 range and haven't had any issues. I'm assuming at higher temps?
    Yes, you lift it about an inch to let some air in and this will help to keep it from flaming up on you. That's interesting that some of you have never experienced this especially when you are cooking in the 600-650 range. For me, anywhere over about 450, I make sure I burp mine because it will flame up.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
    ·
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 946
    edited March 2014
    @BuckeyeBob thanks for the info. I've been doing pizza about every other week and don't burp the egg and have never had anything like that happen! I will start burping for sure though to make sure it never does! On I side note I was filing an empty butane soldering iron last week and didn't realize a buddy left the second iron running on the bench, anyone who has ever filled one has an idea where this is going, well when mine over filled there was a massive fire ball where your truly lost a lot of arm hair!
    Bristow Virginia XLBGE One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
    ·
  • Ladeback69Ladeback69 Posts: 2,253
    The dealer I bought my egg from recommends burping the egg when it gets over 400 degrees.  I got in a hurry to check on the pork chops, because I was hungry.  I will make it a point for it not to happen again.  It also got the top of my head and I was due for a haircut anyway.  Not much hair on top anyway.  My arm hair is intact, because I had a long sleeve tee-shirt on.  The top of my head is still a little warm kind of like after you get a sunburn.  Be careful egging out there.  Too bad it was light out or it would have looked cool.  All heard was a whoosh and then felt heat.  Sorry no pic's to post.  
    XL, WSM, Little Kahuna
    Kansas City, Mo.
    ·
  • MJHMJH Posts: 102
    I have developed a Pavlovian association of burnt hair and Rib Eye.
    ·