Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Short Ribs

Options
Bob923
Bob923 Posts: 23

Can anyone help me with some  ideas on how to cook Beef Short Ribs on the Egg?

Comments

• loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    Options
    type in beef ribs and you will get a butt load of info on how to! :)
    Brandon, MS
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I have had great success with running the ribs for about 3-3.5 hrs on the indirect grid (250*F or so) then foil ( as much as I hate this step) with a couple of shots of worcestershire sauce for another 90 minutes and then depending on what comes out of the foil, back on the grid for a few minutes.  Beats the crap out of any other ribs you will find!  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Bob923
    Bob923 Posts: 23
    Options

Hey love the egg, tried that and there was very little help.  Lots of pics but know true "how too's.  That why I asked.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Here's one for back ribs:
    http://winnipeggheads.com/2013/01/28/dino-bones-beef-back-ribs/
    And one for short ribs:
    http://necessaryindulgences.com/2013/09/beef-spare-ribs/
    Im doing some in the morning as well.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I tried the recipe off the BGE website under recipes. Tasted great!
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • grin_phi
    Options
    Realise this is an old topic, but I'm trying beef short ribs tomorrow. 

I'm confused by the fact that some recipes, including the BGE one, say set up for direct, then call it smoking??? Other recipies for the more traditional plate setter smoking approach. 

What do you all think is right?
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have done indirect @ 275-300 with good results.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Forgot pic
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • lousubcap
    Options
    As I mentioned above, I run indirect at about 250+/- on the dome.  For the past few months I have just prepped the ribs with worcestershire and some Montreal steak seasoning.  Then run for about 6 hours w/o foil til probing tender.  Great eats await.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    I go 250 indirectimage
  • grin_phi
    Options
    Wow thanks guys. Great tips and great photos! I can't wait.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I like a bourbon mustard glaze on my short ribs.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• grin_phi
    Options
    Oh, bonus question - I'm only cooking two individual short ribs about an inch think on top of the bone. Would you expect the cooking time to be shorter?
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Cooking time for anything on the BGE is independent of the proximity of the accompanying food cook as long as there is an air-gap among the friends.  So, number of ribs shouldn't have an impact.  YMMV-
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    grin_phi said:
    Oh, bonus question - I'm only cooking two individual short ribs about an inch think on top of the bone. Would you expect the cooking time to be shorter?
    I have three single ones going now. I was figuring maybe around 4 hours at 250. They are 160 now and been on about two hours or so. Not cooking to temp, probe tender but probably be around 195.
  • grin_phi
    Options
    @smokeyj - awesome. Let me know how they come out if you can. 

How thick are they? An inch or more?
  • smokeyj
    Options
    Yes an inch or so. Just checked them. Looking good. Next time I'll buy the whole 4 pound section. Wanted to try some first.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Bob923‌ ...I always ask here too. Lots of new guys, recipes and ideas. I use mine in a stew. Good stuff. Let me know if you need the recipe. Welcome and keep us posted.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • smokeyj
    Options

Mine were done in about 4 hours. Did three, they took around 4 hours temps around 250 to 300.

Marinated over night in Montreal rub and then hit with some Cattle Boyz Gourmet Seasoning. Which is like a Montreal rub.

These thing were awesome. Going to definitely buy the whole section next time.

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I've been known to buy short ribs for ground beef.  I will cut off the bulk of the meat to grind into hamburger and save the bones with some meat and gristle still attached to roast later and then make beef stock.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I love cooking the whole rib section (Plate or Short Ribs).  Here is what I did on one cook:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1161966/beef-plate-ribs
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • smokeyj
    Options
    Shiff said:
    I love cooking the whole rib section (Plate or Short Ribs).  Here is what I did on one cook:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1161966/beef-plate-ribs
    Wow those look good. The pack I had said choice beef chuck bone in short ribs. First time I ever did them.
  • Shiff
    Options
    Chuck Short Ribs cook about the same way as the Plate Ribs I had in that post..  The 2 types of ribs come from different parts of the cow. Plate Ribs are much more expensive and tend to be fattier.  My wife prefers the chuck short ribs.  Chuck Short RIbs have 4 bones and Plate Ribs have 3 bones.  I get moine at Restaurant Depot, but if you get them from a local butcher, tell him not to cut them.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • smokeyj
    Options
    Shiff said:

Chuck Short Ribs cook about the same way as the Plate Ribs I had in that post..  The 2 types of ribs come from different parts of the cow. Plate Ribs are much more expensive and tend to be fattier.  My wife prefers the chuck short ribs.  Chuck Short RIbs have 4 bones and Plate Ribs have 3 bones.  I get moine at Restaurant Depot, but if you get them from a local butcher, tell him not to cut them.

I'm paying $5.49 a pound at my local Giant Eagle. Not sure if that's a good deal. Maybe I'll check depot.
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    Do the recipe on @Griffin‌ 's blog. Amazing!
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Shiff
    Options
    smokeyj said:
    I'm paying $5.49 a pound at my local Giant Eagle. Not sure if that's a good deal. Maybe I'll check depot.
    For plate ribs or chuck short ribs?  Are they already cut?  Last time at RD, the Plate RIbs (3 bones) were $6.49/pound and the Chuck Short ribs (4 bone) were $3.69/pound.  These are for the uncut slabs. 
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • smokeyj
    Options
    Shiff said:
    smokeyj said:
    For plate ribs or chuck short ribs?  Are they already cut?  Last time at RD, the Plate RIbs (3 bones) were $6.49/pound and the Chuck Short ribs (4 bone) were $3.69/pound.  These are for the uncut slabs. 
    I bought the single cuts but the butcher said same price for the uncut slab. I called Depot today and my local one it's like $5.00 a pound.
  • Shiff
    edited November 2014
    Options

smokeyj said:
    I bought the single cuts but the butcher said same price for the uncut slab. I called Depot today and my local one it's like $5.00 a pound.
    But you didn't say if they were Plate RIbs or Chuck RIbs.  Both are similar but the price isn't.  I've never seen a super market that sold Plate RIbs (these have 3 bones and come from the Short Plate on the cow). The Chuck ribs have 4 bones and come from the chuck section.  RD sells both but be careful since they might be mixed together in the cooler. Be sure to read the label.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • smokeyj
    Options
    I bought chuck short ribs. When I called depot I asked for a price for bone in chuck short ribs and he said $5.00. Unless he just saw short ribs and didn't the difference. I will stop during work one day and check for myself.