Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4 Butts at once on my large BGE

Options
wmrrock
wmrrock Posts: 30
I am going to be smoking 4 - 7 lb Butts tonight on my Large BGE.  I have never smoked more than 2 at a time. This time I am using a multi level grate - 2 on top 2 on bottom.  Should I rotate half way through the smoke or leave them alone.  Drippings - is it okay for the upper butts to drip on the lower butts?  I assume it is - just checking.  Also, should I expect the time to increase with more protein on the smoke?  Thanks.

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    When I did 4 last summer I did not rotate them. They were all done at different times but the top two did finish first.

Garnerville, NY
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    Options
    I did 4 once in the large, 3 at the bottom and 1 on top. Had probes in 2 of them I think one from the bottom and the one on top.  Didn't rotate but they made a mess so I was probably running the egg on grease instead of charcoal. Don't remember it taking longer than my normal 18 hours for 2 butts. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    @wmrock-Most likely the upper level butts will finish first but no guarantees.  Best to check each and I find that when the "bone pulls clean" is the best finish indicator.  Cook time won't move much as cook temp is what it is and in your configuration the BGE behaveslike an oven...but with a whole lot more flavor among other bonus attributes.
    BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • wmrrock
    wmrrock Posts: 30
    Options
    @lousubcap - Thanks - This is my first multi level multi Butt attempt - Guess these butts were too big - Got 2 on the bottom and the top wouldn't close with the butts on the top. I will smoke the other 2 later 2 tonight when the first 2 are done.  Hopefully with a little luck I will still be able to get all 4 done by 12:30 pm Cub Scout Blue & Gold Banquet tomorrow.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    @wmrock-Great event you are cooking for.  You should search "turbo butts" as you can likely get the second pair done in around 5-7 hours.  I don't use that technique but those who do swear by it-so check it out.  Should relieve the stress level at a minimum.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.