Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza success. Again!

Options
I really struggled pizza when I first got the egg (year ago) but now I feel like I'm hitting on all cylinders. Pizza is a must in our house on Fridays especially during lent. In the beginning I was so discouraged I ended up just picking some pizza from somewhere. Fast forward to three weeks ago I ended up pickin up pizza at some brick oven place and spent 35$ for pizza and misc other things. That was it. I said I can make that so I did. I'm still in the store bought dough mode but all other ingredients are fresh. Delicious!image
LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

Comments

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Nice! So how are you doing it? Temp/time?
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Fresh Moz or ricotta? Is that fresh basil? Looking good! Something tells me I'll be making some dough in the AM. What was your set up and temp? Nice looking pie!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Fresh moz from
    Wegmans (awesome grocery store in the northeast) fresh basil and my own tomato sauce. First time for that. 550 dome. 15 minutes maybe. Raised high indirect on my swing grate. I need to find a dough recipe for sure. What do you use for dough? @NPHuskerFL‌

• NPHuskerFL
    edited March 2014
    Options
    @grege345‌ dough...1/4C EVOO, 1 1/4 tsp yeast, 4 1/2C bread flour, 1 1/2 tsp salt and one egg (adds color). Can make by hand or with Kitchen Aid mixer. I was making by hand until I got my Christmas gift from SWMBO. Kitchen Aid gave me a bit more elastic dough.FYI I add flour as needed to get the dough where I want it. This recipe will make approx (6) 10" pies or (3-4) 16" pies all depends on thickness you desire. I bake in LBGE at 650F-750F p.s. legs up, grid and then my homemade raised grid (puts it about 4"-5" above the gasket line). Note I DO NOT use sugar because the crust doesn't need it at high temps. Also with sugar at high temp you risk burning a bit more. Give it a try.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options

@grege345‌ dough...1/4C EVOO, 1 1/4 tsp yeast, 4 1/2C bread flour, 1 1/2 tsp salt and one egg (adds color). Can make by hand or with Kitchen Aid mixer. I was making by hand until I got my Christmas gift from SWMBO. Kitchen Aid gave me a bit more elastic dough.FYI I add flour as needed to get the dough where I want it. This recipe will make approx (6) 10" pies or (3-4) 16" pies all depends on thickness you desire. I bake in LBGE at 650F-750F p.s. legs up, grid and then my homemade raised grid (puts it about 4"-5" above the gasket line). Note I DO NOT use sugar because the crust doesn't need it at high temps. Also with sugar at high temp you risk burning a bit more. Give it a try.

@grege345‌...edit might want 1 3/4C water. Just noticed I omitted that from the recipe.
    I was going to make pizzas today but, we have heavy downpours with localized flooding so just made dough balls, scaled out to size and put in the deep freezer until next time.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    Looks awesome! I have one question about the cheese. Every time I have made pizza with fresh mozzarella slices the moisture makes the crust wet in the middle. How have you avoided this (if you have)? Any tips would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    @ChrisgrillsSTLMO‌ I didn't have any problems with wetness but I do know what you mean. I let's these balls dry some before puttin on pizza and they were made from whole milk

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    My dough recipe is as follows.
    3c AP flour
    1tsp salt
    1c hot water >105 degrees
    1tsp sugar
    1 tsp active dry yeast
    1tsp olive oil

Combine flour & salt in mixing bowl. Put sugar in the cup of hot water, sprinkle yeast on top and let proof until yeast begins to bubble (about 5 min.)
    Mix in wet ingredients to bowl until combined. Add olive oil to dough and kneed for 5 minutes. Oil a bowl and spray some Saran Wrap with cooking spray. Place dough in bowl, cover and let rise for at least an hour. All day is better. In the winter months you may have to add more water as you are mixing the dough. You want your dough to pull from thd sides of the bowl but not so sticky that you can't handle it.

As you make pies with homemade dough, you'll learn that if the dough springs back and doesn't stay stretched, it hasn't risen enough. Also tossing dough vs rolling will make your dough more airy and less dense. You don't have to toss in the air but tossing back and forth between your hands and forearms works well.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • stevethegreat
    Options
    Looks good @grege345!
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    @grege345 - Thanks for the information, I will give that a try.

@stevethegreat - I miss Appleton, I went to Lawrence U, Go Vikings!
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • stevethegreat
    Options
    Very cool! This winter actually made me miss living in Florida. Not too many eggers from Wisconsin on this board from what I can tell.
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE