Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Hey Southerners! What's Up With Grits?

Wilma made grits this morning and they were pretty bland.  It struck me that southerners are really attached to grits and I can't understand why.  How are they doctored up to make them irresistible?  Or is it "a southern thing" us northerners wouldn't understand?  Confession time: Wilma's grits were instant which I gather could be a cardinal sin south of the Mason-Dixon. 

How do you fix your grits? 

Flint, Michigan

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Throw away the instant crap and get real grits.

Season as you like.

Butter, cheese, salt, pepper, sugar... Anything.
  • Yeah, instant grits may have been part of your problem.

I like mine with black pepper and some tabasco sauce. If you've got red-eye gravy you could put some of that on them.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Butter lots of butter...

Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • Eggcelsior
    If I am having grits with breakfast, I add a pad of butter with a little salt and lots of black pepper. Sunny side up eggs with toast and hot sauce. Break yolks and scoop everything with the toast.

Heaven on earth.
  • If I am having grits with breakfast, I add a pad of butter with a little salt and lots of black pepper. Sunny side up eggs with toast and hot sauce. Break yolks and scoop everything with the toast. Heaven on earth.
    Throw in some fried ham (or sausage or bacon) and I'll be right over!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Oatmeal is bland without cinnamon, brown sugar or maple syrup. Grits is just corn without the butter. I'm no expert on grits by any stretch, but the good ones I've had consists of lots of butter. Shrimp and grits is pretty dang good too.
    Dunedin, FL
  • We do Grits at the house with Pepper-Jack cheese, curry powder,  cracked pepper, cayenne, touch of garlic and salt to taste.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Grits are like rice, in that they are bland by themselves. It must be what you put on them or serve them with that makes the dish. The only way I've had them that they even resembled food was with gravy - no idea if it was red-eye like TOTN suggests. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Grits are like rice, in that they are bland by themselves. It must be what you put on them or serve them with that makes the dish. The only way I've had them that they even resembled food was with gravy - no idea if it was red-eye like TOTN suggests. 
    Doesn't have to be red-eye. If you've fried some ham, bacon or sausage you can make a delicious gravy from that with just some butter, flour, milk and s&p.
    edited March 2014
    Agreed that grits are just a media to contain fats such as butter,cheese, gravy, cream, etc.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629

Throw away the instant crap and get real grits.

Season as you like.

Butter, cheese, salt, pepper, sugar... Anything.

@Eggcelsior‌ +3. Instant Grits? Blasphemy! I was born and raised in NE. But, have been in the South now 22 yrs and have developed a fondness for grits and boiled peanuts (not the crap you find in a can). Not to go all Bubba Gump on y'all but, the combinations with homemade grits are endless and I've had them many ways. However a good go to is good ole butter S&P or cheese (pretty basic).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Give this a try...add sharp cheddar as well!

http://www.food.com/recipe/grits-n-greens-casserole-154555

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Since grits taste like nothing, no need to buy any. Just melt some butter and add s&p. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior

Since grits taste like nothing, no need to buy any. Just melt some butter and add s&p. :)

Your taste buds are shot! First steak, now grits!
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    edited March 2014
    As a lifelong resident of Georgia I can attest that grits prepared properly are very good. The emphasis is on the properly part. 

Instant grits are in no way close to the way real grits taste. I guess it would be like comparing a Mcdonalds burger to the burger you prepare on the egg. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Had to
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Cheese and onions, topped with scrambled eggs.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Jalepeno cheese grits would be my favorite. But I also eat them about 3 times a week with butter salt and cheese. Sometimes I crumble my sausage in them.

XLBGE 
  • finster
    finster Posts: 136
    Stone ground grits. Milk and water in simmering liquid, lots of butter, s and p. THEN, add your flavor profile: cheddar and chive, proscuitto and onion....
    MBGE in Charleston

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Get yourself some real grits (google McEwen and sons if you need a place online to get them) and then try this:

http://ruhlman.com/2011/11/butter-poached-shrimp-and-grits/

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I had grits once in Biloxi.  Don't care for them.  Tasted like soft sand.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Grits are merely the delivery system for the cheese. 1 part grits, 1 part cheese. Then you will know.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Grits are merely the delivery system for the cheese. 1 part grits, 1 part cheese. Then you will know.
    I'ld rather not dilute the cheese.  Well, unless it's a cheese I don't like, but then why bother mixing 2 things I don't like
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Shrimp and cheese grits. ..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    I like the real grits that are not runny.  A little butter, a little salt, a little piece of heaven.
    Milton, GA.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I bought some grits yesterday. You just make them like polenta don't you?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Find a good shrimp and grits recipe with lots of bacon and garlic and you will be blown away- one of the only good things from chapel hill is shrimp and grits from crooks corner. Some of the best around.
    Greensboro, NC
  • I bought some grits yesterday. You just make them like polenta don't you?
    They're said to be the same thing (although I'm not sure that's 100% accurate) so I guess so.
    Polenta is yellow and grits are white no?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Troglodyte
    Troglodyte Posts: 104
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Albuquerque, NM
    Large BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe