Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerk Chicken Question

GlennM
GlennM Posts: 1,365
I have a cut up yardbird and a couple of thighs in the marinade since yesterday. I wonder if you guys wipe off most of the paste before you cook it? I am thinking an hour or so indirect at 325 with a bit of smoke? If the skin is still rubbery then go direct for a few minutes at the end? I will stop and pick up some red stripe on the way home!
In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Give the chicken a shake when you take it out of the marinade. What stays on gets cooked. I would personally cook at 400-425 raised direct

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • I cook jerk all of the time and I leave as much paste on as possible. I usually shove some under the skin as well. I also agree that 400 or so raised direct is the way to go. I sometimes throw a chunk of wood in there. 
    LBGE, CGW Swing Rack, Baking Steel. Mini-Max on the way. 

Boston MA
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,050
    I like to leave it on there as well. What marinade are you using? I really like walkerswood.
  • +1 Straight from the marinade to the grill.  We also like to take the left over marinade and boil it then add a little broth/water, grilled pineapple, red peppers, jalapenos and red onions
    Michael 

Winston Salem, NC

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    I made it in a blender, green onion, scotch bonnet, lime juice, allspice, etc. I left the paste on a cooked it at 375. The skin didn't crisp but it was great! Beans and rice were delicious as well. I will do this again
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • EggoMatic
    EggoMatic Posts: 130
    @GlennM that chicken looks good! I will be looking for a wet paste recipe today that's for sure Jack.
    LBGE Virginia Beach, Virginia
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Thanks. I had forgotten about jerk; haven't made it in a year. I make my own sauce, too. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I always use thighs only when making jerk (personal preference).  I use Walkerswood on the meat side and a dry jerk rub on the skin side.  At work, I use a Foreman Griller to cook them, I haven't tried them on the egg, but maybe that will be next Egg cook now.  I would go with the high heat recommendations based on the first Jerk chicken I ever had (got invited to a friends wedding reception at his relative's house, my wife and I were like the only non-Jamaicans present as far as I could tell, I'm pretty sure my first experience with Jerk was about as authentic as you could have)
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• BigWings
    BigWings Posts: 172
    Chicken thighs, Walkerswood under the skin, 400° indirect, perfection.

Likely my favourite thing ever cooked on the egg.

New Brunswick, Canada

• Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    I use Walkerswood I cook inderict over Pimento wood for the smoke and I mix Grace Jamaican ketcup and red stripe beer as a basting sauce I like to do it at like 275 to 300 degrees basting like every 1/2 hour it comes out fantastic 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Any good jerk sauce recipes? We bought dry jerk seasoning in Jamaica last summer. Can I use that as a base for my sauce?
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Zmokin said:
    I always use thighs only when making jerk (personal preference).  I use Walkerswood on the meat side and a dry jerk rub on the skin side.  At work, I use a Foreman Griller to cook them, I haven't tried them on the egg, but maybe that will be next Egg cook now.  I would go with the high heat recommendations based on the first Jerk chicken I ever had (got invited to a friends wedding reception at his relative's house, my wife and I were like the only non-Jamaicans present as far as I could tell, I'm pretty sure my first experience with Jerk was about as authentic as you could have)
    First Jamaican party  went to had goat's head soup. None of the few Canucks that were there could eat it. I fell in love with Jamaican food that night.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    We ate goat and ox tail in Jamaica. Delicious!
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    edited March 2014
    Heres a good one. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1145893/authentic-jamaican-jerk-recipe#latest I will say I usually buy the dry jerk seasoning in the spice section and mix it with 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar and 2 tablespoons of EVOO and it is awesome! I marinate it for a couple hours before throwing it on the egg.
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE