Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do ya really "need" a Thermapen?

Comments

• plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    @Spaightlabs‌... Badgers =)) I am so already ready for college football to start. Damnit man it seems so far away. Wisconsin is always competitive in the BIG.
    Gamecock garnet :)
    Beaufort, SC
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    :-? And what are you using to check your i.t. @nolaegghead‌. I chose it because it has a reputation of proven quality and accuracy not because I'm a Thermapen groupie :-D
    I actually have a Thermapen, pink, super fast and a Sharpie inscribed hello kitty on it.  But to answer the question, the answer is no.  The important thing to know is when your food is done, and an easy way to do that is a thermometer.  If you can do it in three seconds versus 10 seconds, I don't think that's going to make a difference with stuff that cooks for hundreds or thousands of seconds.  The thermopen is accurate, but everyone should verify the accuracy of their thermometer with ice and boiling water.  One or two degrees doesn't make a difference unless you're making Hollandaise sauce old school.
    The red is Georgia Bulldog red!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @nolaegghead‌...100% agree but, when my 4 newer thermometers (that I've calibrated with boiling water and ice water don't hold calibration worth a $h!t) it's time to get something of quality. I could give two $h!ts if it takes 3 seconds or 10 seconds. I just want quality and accuracy and Thermapen has that. It's ok you can rock that hot pink Hello Kitty Thermapen :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    @nolaegghead‌...100% agree but, when my 4 newer thermometers (that I've calibrated with boiling water and ice water don't hold calibration worth a $h!t) it's time to get something of quality. I could give two $h!ts if it takes 3 seconds or 10 seconds. I just want quality and accuracy and Thermapen has that. It's ok you can rock that hot pink Hello Kitty Thermapen :))
    haha...I hear ya.  Keep in mind, the thermapen is popular because of the accuracy/speed/price combination.  There are many, many thermometers that are much faster and more accurate but they're commercial and very expensive.  Lots of cheaper ones that are just as accurate too.  But the thermapen is probably the cheapest certified NIST thermometer out there, and I love mine.
    I don't know if it is a thermapen, but I do have a digital quick read thermometer, but I rarely use it.
    Most of the time if I am checking and cooking to internal temp, I'm using a probe that is left in the meat.  Otherwise, I usually cook based on time, appearance, or other factors.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Grillin, BBQ'n, indoor cookin', beer making, takes my temp when I'm sick --> what doesn't the themopen dominate at?
    Is that rectal temp?
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Stupid nawler
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942

Grillin, BBQ'n, indoor cookin', beer making, takes my temp when I'm sick --> what doesn't the themopen dominate at?
    Is that rectal temp?
    I like to switch off, mouth and chocolate starfish. :))
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Or maybe it is a rental thermometer.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/824619/thermometer
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited March 2014
    @henapple‌...note to self don't read forum in bathroom...
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    @henapple‌...note to self don't read forum in bathroom...

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited March 2014
    The only regret I have about buying my orange thermapen is that I didn't get the backlit one.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• NPHuskerFL
    @Chris_Wang‌...yep that seemed to be the general consensus. So I made sure I ordered the backlit model.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    +1... or +$120ish

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Agree 100%. But just so you know, that's Badger Red, not Husker red.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx6TBrfCW54

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • JenGang
    JenGang Posts: 91
    I got my red backlit one in the mail today.  Hubby ordered if for me this week after I overcooked steaks because the thermometer that I have was painfully slow at getting the temp.  Can't wait to try it!

Jen

Lakeville, MN

• NPHuskerFL
    @Chris_Wang‌ $96 for regular model and $112 for backlit model. Seemed reasonable to me.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    @BOWHUNR‌... Well played =D>
    I'll just have to settle for a sharpie N on mine :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821

Just sold my orange one to a buddy to help finance my new backlit with the glow in the dark cover with magnets. The glow in the dark is cool but the magnets are great. I keep it on the side of the fridge now instead of stuck in a drawer.

A poor man can only afford to buy the best.

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    JenGang said:

I got my red backlit one in the mail today.  Hubby ordered if for me this week after I overcooked steaks because the thermometer that I have was painfully slow at getting the temp.  Can't wait to try it!

Well played... Trashing those steaks so hubby cracks the wallet to get you a new toy(oops) meant cooking tool. :)

You will both love the benefits of the Thermapen.
  • hapster
    td66snrf said:

Just sold my orange one to a buddy to help finance my new backlit with the glow in the dark cover with magnets. The glow in the dark is cool but the magnets are great. I keep it on the side of the fridge now instead of stuck in a drawer.

On the fridge? Mine is always within reach on the counter next to some of my rubs... Then it's in my pocket as I head outside to the egg.
  • NPHuskerFL
    td66snrf said:

@hapster‌...I also ordered the Thermapen magnetic glow in the dark condom (protection) and leather wallet which is perfect so I can protect it in my sometimes harsh work environment since I'll be using at work and home.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • hapster

td66snrf said:

@hapster‌...I also ordered the Thermapen magnetic glow in the dark condom (protection) and leather wallet which is perfect so I can protect it in my sometimes harsh work environment since I'll be using at work and home.
    If I have to bring it to work, I'll quit... LOL
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    edited March 2014
    I was totally clueless when my first one died.  Kudos to Thermoworks they replaced it free of charge even though it was out of warranty and strictly my fault.  I used the money saved to buy my second one!
    canuckland
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited March 2014
    Thermoworks had a problem with their website a couple of years ago. Don't remember what it was, but I discovered it and let them know. Next thing I knew, a leather Thermapen case showed up at my front door. Love the case. Love the customer relations even more!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    Thermapens are super awesome and all that.  I have one and I'd recommend it to anyone that's interested in using empirical data (IE temperature) to cook better.  There are times when they rock and times when you don't need them.  And times where the internal temp is better monitored by a meat thermometer.

where they are good - thick steaks of cow, fish, pork, or anything that's cooked fast and you can pick an internal temp for doneness that doesn't include anything over 170F  

where they aren't needed - stuff that cooks for a long to break down collagen and is thin - ribs, chicken wings, bacon, etc.

where they can be useful - poking around, half-way as a probe to feel if the meat is tender, in briskets, butt, ham...make sure your "meat centered" probe is accurate and in the right place, and to get a profile of the temperatures by repeatedly stabbing the meat like lizzy borden, and forming a profile temperature-gradient in your head.  It's important to understand how stuff cooks.

Correlate how stuff looks, time and temp (dome) with IT temps.  If you do it enough, you get an intuitive feel for how long to cook food.  Professional cooks don't bust everything open or use a thermometer on everything.  They just calibrate measured internal temps with the time/cook temp/food size and shape, and they learn when stuff is done.  That's why it's important to have an instant read - so you can train yourself to be intuitive.
    Well. My egg made my food so good.  Themapen takes it further by making it extra better. 

Actually when I first got my egg, I realized I had to relearn how to cook my chicken.  In the past when I cooked in my kettle, I know when it's ready by looking and touching it and usually I have it ready to the temp.  With Egg, it deceives me… by looking does not help, so is by touching.  It overshoots by 20 - 30 degrees easily.  Thermapen helps.
    X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited March 2014

@nolaegghead

Thermaphrodite sounds better.