Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
National BBQ Month sure was tasty! We hope you got to try just as many new BBQ recipes as we did and some old favorites as well. If not, you can find all our BBQ recipes here and try them out all summer long. One of our favorites was Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise and Ted Reader’s Rum Injected Sweet Potatoes. As the weather’s heating up, use your EGG for a cool treat-Ice Cream Sandwiches! Keep an eye out for some Father’s Day recipes from chefs & their dads, coming soon!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Jambalaya Stuffed Peppers from Dr BBQ's Slow Fire

jfm0830jfm0830 Posts: 940
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum

I have been having fun making recipes from Slow Fire, Dr BBQ's cookbook which is said to be "The Beginner's Guide to BBQ". The reality is, the book contains some great recipes which are easy & fun to make, while tasting excellent. For anyone interested here is a review of the cookbook I recently did in my 2014 BBQ Blog: Slow Fire.

While I could have done the whole thing on the Egg using the BGE Dutch oven, I was facing single digit temps and howling winds and elected to make the jambalaya in my indoor Dutch oven. I knew I could do it outside and didn't have to prove it in this weather. The end results were excellent sand surprisingly spicy. The Andouille sausage & jalapeño peppers gave things quite the kick. Onto the pix:

The ingredients are gathered.

To start the jambalaya some onions & green bell peppers were sautéed in a Dutch oven.

Next up was some minced garlic & finely diced jalapeño peppers.

This was followed by the Andouille sausage which had been removed from it's casing and diced.

Some diced tomatoes & ground spices were added next.

Some diced BBQ smoked chicken went in next.

Chicken broth was added next and the mixture was brought to a simmer.

Some rice was added & the mixture was simmered until the rice was soft and most of the liquid had been absorbed or boiled off.

While the jambalaya was finishing up I removed the tops from some bell peppers & hollowed them out. I put them on a wire mesh cooling rack with so smoked apple rings used as a base. This setup allowed me to put everything on the grill in one operation. Plus I didn't have to worry about the peppers tipping over once on the grill.

The finished jambalaya.

The peppers are stuffed.

The peppers are on the Egg where the AR has been set up to let me cook indirectly at 235 degrees. I have just tossed some Jack Daniels oak chips on the fire. The oval shaped pizza stone of the AR makes it easy to add chips to the fire.

After 90 minutes the peppers were cooked & they are off to the kitchen for a 5 minute rest.

mmmmmmm!!

Jim
3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
·

Comments

• freduc2freduc2 Posts: 69
    edited March 2014
    As always, great post. Looks fantastic.
    LBGE, Weber Performer. Located in Franklin County Pa.
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,797
    Very nice. I love the photo-essays of your cooks.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,585
    caliking said:

Very nice. I love the photo-essays of your cooks.

This
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • bud812bud812 Posts: 1,408
    ^:)^  =D>

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

·
  • I received that book as a Christmas present this year and have been really enjoying it.  I made the cilantro smeared pork tenderloin recently and it was fantastic.
    ·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,366
    Awesome! ^:)^

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
  • grege345grege345 Posts: 3,371
    Very nice. Love me some jambalaya
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

·
  • EggObsessedEggObsessed Posts: 425
    OMG, @jfm0830!  That is my kind of food!  Where did you get the rings to cook the peppers upright in?  I think we need some of those.  The possibilities are endless.  Looks like some spectacular flavors you had going on there.  Jambalaya is my new FAVORITE Cajun dish!!
    Kelley 
    Egging with NoJokeSmoke (Bruce) in SW Austin, Texas
    BGEs: XL, Medium and Mini
    ·
  • EggoMaticEggoMatic Posts: 130
    Looks damn good
    LBGE Virginia Beach, Virginia
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,293
    Great googly moogly, sir!! That. Looks. Awesome !!! =P~ Think I may hafta come up with a low carb version of that for next week. Thanks for the inspiration!
    2014 Co-Wing King
    ·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,818
    God dammit Jim!!! How the hell am I supposed to control my appetite with you posting cooks like this?

Once again; a great cook and post!

Bravo!!!
    ·
  • johnkitchensjohnkitchens Posts: 3,345
    That looks so good Jim. You do good work!
    Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
    ·
  • jfm0830jfm0830 Posts: 940
    edited March 2014
    Thanks for looking and commenting guys & gals. I am a bit late getting back to the party here because while I got 12 comments, I only got one notification of a comment.

@SpanishMoon I had managed to miss that pork tenderloin. Thanks for mentioning it. I now have another recipe for the ToDo list.

@Eggobsessed Those were rings for smoke roasting apples that I bought in 2009 from Stephen Raichlen's online store. I just went and looked now, so I could post a link for you and they were no longer on the store. Before I bought those rings I used to roll aluminum foil into a !" diameter log and then form it into a doughnut. Takes a little longer, isn't as pretty, but works equally well.

@hapster Thanks man! But are you serious? You trying to guilt me out with all the amazing stuff you post? Not buyin' it, but thanks.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
    ·