Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do ya really "need" a Thermapen?

Options
NPHuskerFL
NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum
Thanks!!! @The Cen-Tex Smoker@cazzy‌ @Little Steven@henapple‌ @coffeeguydenton‌ @Skiddymarker‌ @RRP‌ @SmokeyPitt‌ @Chris_Wang‌ @Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic‌ @DMW‌ ....
Yes I DO! After having to break out my Fluke meter with food probe on my last brisket (because out of 4 thermometers I could trust 0 of them). That $h!t won't happen again. SWMBO ordered me the red backlit Thermapen. Really wanted to find the Husker one that one of our forum members has but, I'm happy with the red backlit. More than anything though I'm happy to get something of quality I can trust. With my work I purchase the highest quality tools and test instruments because I believe strongly in not guessing if my diagnosis is half assed. Now I regret buying these other 4 cheap pos thermometers. Do yourself a favor and skip all the BS and get the Thermapen.
LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Agree 100%. But just so you know, that's Badger Red, not Husker red.
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited March 2014
    Options
    @Spaightlabs‌... Badgers =)) I am so already ready for college football to start. Damnit man it seems so far away. Wisconsin is always competitive in the BIG.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • pigoutsc
    pigoutsc Posts: 92
    Options
    I thought the same thing but use it all the time since I broke down and purchased one. You wont be sorry if you get it.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I love mine. Love it. I use it for everything but scooping ice cream.
  • Holepuncher
    Holepuncher Posts: 388
    Options
    I do.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Eggcelsior‌...funny you should say ice cream. For my occupation I do HVAC/R, foodservice equipment both hot & cold + we are the ElectroFreeze guys. So I'll be using it to temp ice cream and other food product while at work as well. It will free my meter up for other tasks.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I bought the big green egg knock off. Before I knew better. It was like 80$ I think. What a huge piece of crp!!!! For a few dollars more I could've had the holy grail of thermos. Whatever you do people never buy THIS!!!! image
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Assuming they still do it, you can get half red half white (or any two of their stock colors). You have to settle for refurbished units, assuming they are available. 'Bout half price last I heard from Amber at Thermoworks.  

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I own two. Use them every day. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    You'll wonder how you did without it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Carolina Q‌ already ordered and tracking that bad boy! Hell ya!!! Excited to get it! :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @DMW‌. Already wondering why I didn't do it the day I got my egg! Lol
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    @Carolina Q‌ already ordered and tracking that bad boy! Hell ya!!! Excited to get it! :-)
    Yeah, I figured. Thought others might be interested anyway. Wish I had known about the $52 (at the time) refurbs when I bought mine. Regardless of the color combos.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

I own two. Use them every day. 

For what? :-?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Carolina Q‌ that's a hellava good deal.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options

its one of the best utensils in the kitchen

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    grege345 said:
    I bought the big green egg knock off. Before I knew better. It was like 80$ I think. What a huge piece of crp!!!! For a few dollars more I could've had the holy grail of thermos. Whatever you do people never buy THIS!!!! image
    I have this one, seems to work great for me.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    I didn't buy one right away either...but it is a game changer.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    The only other product I've heard people say works well (for a less expensive alternative) is ... Thermopop by ThermoWorks
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Bge should throw in a thermapen.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Mike - yours is another great testimonial! If people would just learn to cook to internal temperature instead of to time they will be SO MUCH more happy with their egging results! That way if your egg's dome thermometer is hotter or colder then you can say  "so what?"!  

Just ruin $50 worth of steaks and then a $90 Thermapen sounds pretty CHEAP! BTW I also own 2 of them and my 13 year old one is still operating on the same battery!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options

After investing a thousand or more dollars in an Egg, another hundred dollars should be easy considering that it pays for itself in many ways.

Spring "I Can't Wait Five Seconds To See If It's Hot When I Can Know Exactly How Hot In Two Seconds" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options

Grillin, BBQ'n, indoor cookin', beer making, takes my temp when I'm sick --> what doesn't the themopen dominate at?
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @RRP‌ ...thanks for not saying I told ya so NPHuskerFL :-). But, to be fair countless eggheads (including yourself) said get it! Wish I would've pulled the trigger sooner. Fortunately I didn't ruin any of my cooks but, again I don't like second guessing on temp.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I also bought the bge one first. It worked, but it took 10 seconds to give an accurate read. I love my thermapen, and my cooks have improved greatly.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    RRP said:

Mike - yours is another great testimonial! If people would just learn to cook to internal temperature instead of to time they will be SO MUCH more happy with their egging results! That way if your egg's dome thermometer is hotter or colder then you can say  "so what?"!  

Just ruin $50 worth of steaks and then a $90 Thermapen sounds pretty CHEAP! BTW I also own 2 of them and my 13 year old one is still operating on the same battery!!!

Agree Ron...I had a cheapo that I bought and only used a few times...otherwise I was using my maverick and cyberQ probes so i wasn't completely shooting in the dark...but I decided it was time when I found myself getting the remote thermo's out when it wasn't necessary.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    To answer

Do ya really "need" a Thermapen?

The answer is No.

Anyone that says yes is a thermapenaphile

Options
    :-? And what are you using to check your i.t. @nolaegghead‌. I chose it because it has a reputation of proven quality and accuracy not because I'm a Thermapen groupie :-D
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014