Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Price of "used" Small

Options
All - Wanted to get your thoughts on this.  I found a guy selling a brand new small with Nest for $350.  I told him I am interested.  I know this won't come with the warranty... but should I jump on it?  I currently have an XL.

Thanks,
John

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I think the new cost is $500, I just bought a 4 year old off craigs list for $150 but he could have got more. I got it the first day on CL, he said he had 15 calls the first day. If it is really new that is probably not bad.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I don't have a small but I would price a new small and nest for comparison as the warranty is a big deal over time since the BGE will likely out-live you:)  Since I can't recall new Small BGE prices, once you find that number I would start at around  40% of that value and go from there-I'm sure 40% of X is less than $350.  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Any accessories ?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Believe the warranty is non transferable.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2014
    Options
    If it is brand new maybe the dude still has the warranty card that you can claim?  BGE prices are getting ridonkulous, so as of now $350 is a pretty good deal especially with the nest.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Fair and worth a roll of the egg dice.
    Even if the base cracked it, mine is still fine 1 yrs later. If I bought it I would just avoid running a true clean burn of 800+ degrees. My mini cracked after a clean burn that I know.
    Seattle, WA
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Last fall I bought a used small for $400, it included nest, cover, woo, platesetter, hi que grate. A new small was $499 and didn't include any accessories.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Galbi
    Galbi Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks guys! Just picked it up for $320 and includes nest, lump, grill gripper, and lump starter.  The couple won it in some contest and had no use for it.  

Now I wait until the wife gets home to see her reaction... 
    X_X
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Galbi said:
    Thanks guys! Just picked it up for $320 and includes nest, lump, grill gripper, and lump starter.  The couple won it in some contest and had no use for it.  

X_X
    Funny - I wonder what contest they won it in? I won a small in a FB contest and ended up selling the exact same package you mentioned here for $500 so I could buy my large. I'd say you did good!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,516
    Options
    Nice, congrats!
    canuckland
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    That's awesome! If it were me I wouldn't even tell her until she notices it on her own. Good job
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Galbi said:

X_X

Congrats, even dickered it down a little.  I was gonna tell ya to offer $300. lol

You are gonna love the new addition.   

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    edited March 2014
    Options
    @Galbi-well played.  Wonder if the contest managing entity holds the warranty.  Sure sounds like the winner wouldn't have registered it...FWIW-
    Edit:  Remember "It is better to beg forgiveness, than to ask permission!"
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    if she kicks you out at least you are starting out with something to keep you warm and cook on....could be worse....just need some concrete blocks to make some shelves with if you it the road.

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    I bought a used small in a nest for $300 off of CL.
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    +1 on the dicker... Craigslist prices are always flexible.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,516
    Options
    fwiw, I sold my 3-yr old Small, with platesetter, for $550, but it's the GWN.
    canuckland
  • Galbi
    Galbi Posts: 27
    Options
    Update:  I just sold this small for $520.  Wife wasn't convinced it was small enough to take camping... Looks like I am getting the mini-max when it comes out!