Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XLg BGE Hi Floatation landing gear

Options
Sometimes I have to off load the BGE from a utility trailer out where the ground conditions aren't so good (muddy). So, I'm looking for a set of replacement high floatation type caster wheels for my XLg BGE that might enable the BGE to maneuver a little better in these conditions. Has anyone had any experience with this problem? Thanks,

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    There are pictures floating around of a guys XL with big pneumatic wheels attached to a modified nest. I'll try to find them.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I think it was @caliking that did something like that to the nest for his small.  I see no reason it couldn't be adapted to use with an XL nest.  Maybe he'll chime in.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    caliking was one. Here is a pic. I'm still looking for the other. They guy did it so he could travel with his XL to fests and whatnot.

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Here is the pic I was talking about.

The thread is from 2007, so I don't know if you can still ask the person that did it.
  • coffeeguydenton
    Options
    That's pretty much awesome!
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    edited March 2014
    Options
    caliking was one. Here is a pic. I'm still looking for the other. They guy did it so he could travel with his XL to fests and whatnot.

Like putting a lift kit on your Egg?  Going to add about 3" of height to the felt line?
    I like it!

How top heavy do you think it would make the large?
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Those will work far better than the original casters, but depending on how uneven ground you are needing to traverse you might want to look into a pair of lawn tractor front wheels and use it in the form of a 2 wheel cart similar to what UPS uses for heavier packages.  These tires are quite a bit wider and will probably not sink in sand or soft loam.  You would have to construct a handle to steer it with but it is another option that might be less likely to tip over while on the rough stuff.  Northern Tools would have them and the old standby of Harbor Freight.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    ive seen one setup with 4 swivel wheels once and it does not work well, make sure two are rigid like in the photo above
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    A friend of mine and I copied calikings idea but on larges. I have 8" locking solid rubber casters and he has 8" pneumatic. I have helped him move his from his back yard to front yard through bumpy hilly grass and it worked but you need 2 people for sure. Its also expensive you will want to hit up harbor freight for the casters and even then with the casters and angle steel it cost me over $150 just to modify the nest I already had. Its solid though I can just on it at 200 pounds and it doesn't even flex.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    heres how i set mine up
    :D

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • STBS
    STBS Posts: 8
    Options
    Several pretty good ideas. I am already on the drawing board. Many thanks
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Options
    You could also make a carrier similar to the one I made for my small. I know the xl is very heavy but if ur bringing a xl there has to be some muscle around to lift it. And it's much stabler when moving