Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Brisket

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am smoking a beef brisket this weekend. I'm in need of suggestions for a rub and sauce to use. Also, what would be the best kind of wood to use and how much of it in combination with charcoal. This is my first experience with this so any other tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much![p]Brian

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Brian Sellett,
    I posted a great marinade recipe under new recipes "Eggfest Brisket". JJs rub is great also. I used Stubb's marinade the other day with excellent results. Lots of options...whatever you do will be good, as the brisket has a great flavor.[p]Lots of woods work well. Mesquite is always good (if you like that). A little oak or maple, mixed with some fruitwood (pecan, cherry, apple) is great. A couple few chunks will do. Go easy at first until you see what you like.[p]They are pretty easy...just allow plenty of time. A few people lately have had some very fast moving briskets, but mostly they take their own sweet time. Allow at least 2 hours per pound as a guideline. 250 dome suspended several inches over a drip pan. The less you open the egg, the better it will be.[p]A fat cap is a big part of cooking a good chunk-o-chest. You only need about 1/4 inch thick fat cap, but it should fully cover one side. I usually score a large diamond pattern in the fat to allow the flavor to get to the meat, but otherwise leave all the fat on. It will aid in keeping the brisket moist, and can be trimmed easily while carving.[p]Have fun!! Chunk-o-chests are a blast.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Brian, use just a few hunks or chunks of hickory for your first smoke. No mixing of wood and charcoal. Just add a couple of 2x2x2 (example)wet or dry to the top of your charcoal after you get a fire start. It will gradually smolder and season your meat. The more marinates or mustard applications you use, the less smoke flavor will result. Pure smoke and plain meat gives the best smoke flavor. Adding seasonings will blend with the smoke to your desires.
    Takes time..but you will find the right balance for yourself.
    Fruit woods are also nice with pork or beef.
    Cheers..C~W[p]