Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite recipe from "Breath of a Wok" by Grace Young?

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
Many people on this forum have recommended this book.  I called my library down the street and reserved a copy that I will pick-up this weekend.  Does anyone have a favorite recipe(s) from this book?
Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    I really like the stir-fry chicken. I can't recal the exact recipe name. "spicy" or "kung pao" I think. You'll want to plan ahead a little for a few of the ingredients that you might not find at your local supermarket. I located an asian market and was able to get everything. The beef dishes are also fantastic.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• NDG
    Options
    Maybe I made a mistake. Does "Breath of a Wok" have recipes or is it more technique?  

I now see that Grace Young has another book called "Stir Frying the Skys Edge" . . . is this the book I want for recipes?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • khristyjeff
    khristyjeff Posts: 163
    Options
    I believe the Sky's Edge has more recipes than "Breath", but there are recipes in both.
  • NDG
    Options
    Ok thanks.  I will call the library back and see if I can check-out both books.  Since the weather is getting nice here in Ohio, I plan on getting out the WOK more often.  Please let me know if anybody has a stand-out recipe to try . . . 
    Columbus, OH

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2014
    Options

I would read Breath before Sky's Edge.  The history and culture, woks, technique, etc is the most fascinating part of the book, and it is for beginners to this style of cooking.  It's a book you could easily leave on your coffee table for others. 

A couple of my favorites done at GA Mtn:

Jean Yueh's Beef with Onions and Peppers. 

Kung Pao Chicken

The great thing about stir fry, is that once you understand the ratios of common ingredients like Soy, Shao Hsing, Chinkiang, and corn starch, etc. along with adding minced ginger, garlic, chiles, early in the oil, and knowing the vegetables' finishing times/order in which they should be added, it opens the door of creativity.  You can taylor the stir fry to your taste.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    This is a rib variation from the book "Breath of a Wok"
    Pork, Ribs, Baby Back, Oriental, Sweet & Sour, Chinese, Richard Fl

Walter Kei's Sweet & Sour Spareribs.  Walter Kei of Hong Kong likes to flour these spareribs and then deep fry them. But I, Grace Young, prefer pan-frying and then braising them.  Kei finishes the sauce with lime juice and butter; this twist reflects the innovative style of Hong Kong cooks.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 tsp Salt
    1/2 tsp Sugar
    1 tsp Cornstarch
    1 tsp Shaom Hsing rice wine or dry sherry
    1/2 tsp Soy Sauce
    1/2 tsp plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 1/2 Lbs Lean Baby Back pork ribs, cut into single ribs or even better in half also.
    1/3 Cup Dark Brown Sugar, packed
    1/3 Cup Chinkiang or Balsamic vinegar
    1 tsp Butter, unsalted butter
    1/2 tsp Lime Juice
    1 tsp Lime Zest, Optional

PROCEDURE:

1. In a large bowl combine 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, the sugar, cornstarch, rice wine, soy sauce and the 1/2 teaspoon oil. Add the spareribs and combine. Marinate 1 hour. Pat dry completely with paper towels. I do not see the need to dry unless you are deep-frying.

2. Heat a 14" flat-bottom wok over high heat until a bead of water vaporizes within 1-2 seconds. Swirl in the remaining 1 Tablespoon oil and add the spareribs meat side down, spreading them in the wok. Reduce the heat to medium and pan-fry undisturbed 5 minutes, letting the spareribs brown. Then, using a spatula, turn the ribs over and pan-fry an additional 2 minutes.

3. Add the brown sugar, vinegar and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/3 cup water to the wok and bring to a boil over medium heat. Turn the ribs meat side down. Cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 1-1 1/2 hours, until the meat is tender. Add the butter and lime juice and stir to combine. Garnish with lime zest if desired.

4. BGE Version: Seasoned as the recipe says then added brown sugar etc and placed them on the BGE large indirect at 400F for an hour or so.

5. Done:

Yield: Serves 4 as part of a multicourse meal

Recipe Type: Appetizer, Asian, Main Dish, Meat

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2012/02/05*

Author Notes
    The Breath of a Wok, Grace Young & Alan Richardson Page # 188  400F indirect for an hour or so.

• NDG
    Options
    Great stuff, thanks guys.
    Columbus, OH

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,756
    Options
    havent read the book in a while but theres enough in it that a few recipes will pop out at you. i think the last one i did was scallop spring moons and i think i deep fried them instead of making them potstickrs, they were really good
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it