Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Guinness Pepper Filet Mignon

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The missuz just left for California for 2 weeks, so it is just me and twin girls with strep throat! And work to do.[p]So what the heck. The grocery store had filet mignons for 10.98 pound. I picked up a couple, and plan on making the larger one tonight. Marinating in a full bath of Guinness now. Around 6, I will coat it with crushed white pepper, and let baby humpty do his thing on it![p]The kids will probably eat 2 or 3 pieces, and mostly macaroni and cheese. I will eat the rest, along with one of those Guinnesses. Gotta cope with this difficult situation somehow. Yeeee Ha![p]NB
DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Oh, the simplicity! The beauty! The wonderous flavors that await from such a simple recipe and quick cook! These are some of the things that make me love, nay, adore, nay, WORSHIP the BGE!!! You're making my mouth water just thinking about this to the point that I may have to stop on the way home and pick up a filet and a Guinness or 6 for me!!![p]In the words of Homer Simpson, "aaaarrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhh" (that's supposed to be the sound that Homer makes when he puts his head back and his tounge falls out of his mouth and he drools uncontrolably out of desire for a given food).[p]Cornfe(2k)d
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Oh does that sound good. I am heading home to Sloviean Sausage. Not as good as Filet but tasty none the less.[p]Try boiling the marinade down into a quick gravy.[p]RhumAndJerk[p]

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    What's Guiness, and where can I get it?
    Haven't been posting too much of late...the posts below on "mountain oysters" made me a bit uncomfortable. Even now I have a strange inclination to cross my legs while perusing this site!
    bd

• Cornfed
    Options
    bdavidson,[p]Guinness is the nectar of the Gods. It can be aquired from the top of Mt. Olympus.[p]Alternatively, Guinness is one of the most famous (and delicious) dry Irish stouts. Its creamy goodness can be obtained from most beer stores.
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    bdavidson,
    Guinness Stout. Good ol bottled Guinness Stout.[p]Yeah, that mt. oyster discussion was a bit funky. That would be a tough one to handle, but if it smelled good, and someone else ate some first, I might go for it![p]Filet Mignons going on in less than 2 hours.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Cornfed,
    Very simple. I finally bought some new lump. I had been buying Buckeye lump (made by Royal Oak) from True-Value for 10 bucks a bag. But the last couple of bags didn't burn real well, although I learned to get by. I just picked up 2 bags of the Royal Oak, in an orange bag. It is 12 bucks a bag at BBQ Galore, but it burns great! I forgot how good that quality lump burns.[p]With that filet tonight, I am gonna try that new lump for the first time on the small. With Kenny G's Diamond Mesh High-Performance-Maximum-Output-Turbo-Charged charcoal grate, I could be searing these filets at over 1000 degrees. [p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    bdavidson,[p]Ever been done a fresh oiled gravel road?? That black stuff is almost like Guinness Stout - #3 road oil from Ireland and labeled beer. Its rough to drink - maybe its better to marinate in.[p]JMHO of course.[p]Tim
  • King-O-Coals
    Options
    Nature Boy, remember, don't let the flames impinge on them. You will get that hint of bitter. We used the R.O. orange bag this weekend and it does burn well. Long lasting and hot.

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    Cornfed,
    Aye laddy, you've got a taste for the nectar, smooth as cream and filling as a meal.

• Cornfed
    Options
    Mac,[p]I likey Guinness.
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    King-o-Coals,
    Flame-impinged steaks are the best. Plus there is almost no way to avoid some flames when the fire is screaming over 750. I have not experienced the bitter flavor you describe.[p]Normally, the steak is only charred black where it touches the cooking grid. Juicy, tender, and never bitter.[p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    Options
    Tim M,[p]Oh man, Guinness Stout is one of my favorites.....at a local Irish pub here in Louisville (The Irish Roer, JJ knows about it) they will serve Guinness and Harp together in one glass and call it "Half and Half". The really cool thing is that the beers do not mix, the remain separate.[p]Fritz
  • Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    Options
    Tim M,[p]Oops, Roer=Rover.[p]Fritz
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Fritz,
    If you pour them right they remain separate! The good bartenders add the second beer over a spoon. Those are good. And I think you are correct. Guinness and Harp is a Half and Half. Guinness and Bass is a Black and Tan. I have some Guinness left, maybe I will go pick up some Harp. You got my tastebuds going now that I am picturing one of those Irish Pub-poured half and halfs! Man, only 9 am. [p]Have one more small filet left. Maybe I will marinate that one in a half and half! Weeeeeeee![p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • King-O-Coals
    Options
    Nature Boy, that's the way I like um. My last ones had too much flame for too long. I am doing filets next time. And three inch thick ones, no more skinny steaks for me.

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    King-o-Coals,
    Now you got my mouth watering! Sounds great! When are you startin' the Egg?[p]Dr. C

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    You have got to try the combination of Guinness and a hard Cider like Woodchuck or Woodpecker. The contrast is incredible.[p]RhumAndJerk[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Fritz,[p]I know some just love it - I have had many on St Patty's day. I used the last I had to reseal my driveway.[p]Tim -- ;-}
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Tim M,
    Maybe last time you tried it, you forgot to chew![p]Man, it is good stuff. Both the bottles, and the draft cans.
    Of course delicious on tap. And great on beef. Really excellent on London Broil.

DizzyPigBBQ.com