Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cen-Tex - Need some brisket advice from the master

2»

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I have the digiq but if you're doing well without one don't get it. I've had better luck overnight with it but that's me. Sounds like you're fine.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @henapple‌...sounds good. You'll be SWMBOs new bestie (money saved $$$). Was hoping for no way man Ya gotta buy one (lol). :((
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2014

Always have been intrigued by the ATCs, never pulled the trigger.  For overnighters, I make sure to get the fire established at least several hours before turning in for the night.  Set my alarm to wake up halfway, that way I can save the cook if needed, and adjust.  Have to admit, I do get a little nervous when doing large overnighters and two cookers for weddings, graduations, parties etc.  An ATC would be a nice insurance policy for those cooks, which come up maybe twice a year.   

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Cm23
    Cm23 Posts: 130
    I have done briskets and shoulders overnight with very little temp variation.
    XL, 2 Large, Mini  -- Shenandoah, TX  Now BulletGrillHouse
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I'm considering a Wifi one to allow me to cook while at work.
  • I'm considering a Wifi one to allow me to cook while at work.
    that was the biggest factor for me...love that feature

Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

Another possibility, but an 8 hr shift kind of narrows things down.  A 12, even more so.  

Packers and shoulder would work, depending on size.  And I no longer cook packers, again, narrowing it down. lol  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• cmkratt
    cmkratt Posts: 54
    I got the digiq mainly because I am impatient in getting the egg stabilized on overnights. With the digiq, I can start the fire, get the eqq up to temp, hook up the blower, and put whatever I'm cooking on all within an hour. No need to worry about being stabilized before I go to bed (or passout). That being said, that's the lazy way to do it, and I paid a few hundred $ to be lazy and still have peace of mind. Does it work and is it worth it? It was to me. But I also got some good advice a long time ago that said learn to control temps manually first, then get a controller. That's what I did.
  • cmkratt
    caliking said:
    What you may or may not know, is that Cen-Tex has cooked his best briskets with blood alcohol levels high enough to put a horse down. So start drinking as soon as its trimmed and you put the knives away. 

I am no brisky expert, but I think I cooked my best one yet a few weeks back with a similar target serving time as yours. Was working that weekend, so overnight was not an option, I had a 12# prime packer which I put on at about 8am, 300ish, AR, indirect with water pan (I think). Done in about 7 or so hours, then FTC. It jiggled all sexy like and made me weak in the knees. A little longer in the cooler will not harm it in any way in case you get done earlier.
    @caliking Thanks for the feedback. So was that 300ish dome or grid?
  • drewaars
    drewaars Posts: 63
    I'm no master for sure.  I'm only egging my 3rd one on saturday.  1st one was a disaster I prefer to forget.  2nd one was on for 12 hours @ 250 but I passed out at some point and woke up to the arrow pointing to 0, so I'm guessing it was more like 10.  Brisket turned out amazing though.  

The plan for this weekend is to wake up at 6 assuming Friday night doesn't get out of hand and try for 10 hours at 250 again and "take notes" again assuming that my BAC doesn't get in the way.
    LBGE in Arlington, TX

Thanks and Gig'em
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    @cmkratt - dome temp. 

I don't bother with measuring grid temp since that requires using my maverick or something similar. plus it introduces another variable that I'm too lazy to keep track off. I have calibrated myself to the dome temp (as have most people in eggdom) because its easier to communicate about cooks that way. 

Remember to take pics!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cmkratt
    edited March 2014
    Gentlemen, start your engines! We're off and running at 6 am...
  • drewaars
    Temperature still coming up
    LBGE in Arlington, TX

Thanks and Gig'em
  • drewaars
    And of course while I was messing with the camera we shoot past it
    LBGE in Arlington, TX

Thanks and Gig'em
  • cmkratt
    Took 9 hrs at 300. Right at an hour/lb. FTC for 2 hrs and then we'll slice it up. Pics to follow.
  • cmkratt
    Best brisket yet. Got rave reviews from SWMBO and the neighbors. Thanks for the advice all!image
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    @cmkratt - did you wrap it during the cook? 

looks good man. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • cmkratt
    edited March 2014
    No. Just did an FTC for 3 hrs after it passed the probe test.

And thanks! It was good!
  • Nice work. Great bark on there. Bet it was tasty.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    oh that looks great !!
    Toronto
  • drewaars
    cmkratt  Yours is a bit prettier than mine, but it still ate like a champ.

Mine was on for 2 hours at 400 (fell asleep on the couch after putting it on) then 6 at 250.  Bout a 2 hour foil wrap while the egg was shut down in the residual heat.

The plan was to have leftovers for brisket pizza on Sunday but family came over and ate the whole thing.  Can't be to upset about that.

LBGE in Arlington, TX

Thanks and Gig'em
  • cmkratt
    @drewaars‌ looks mighty good to me!
  • ElCapitan
    ElCapitan Posts: 154
    edited March 2014
    cmkratt said:

What do you think? Also, do you still go V-rack in the pan with water? I've never tried that...have always done the standard grid on the PS legs with the pan sandwiched in between, but I have a hard time finding a shallow enough drip ban that's wide enough.

Welcome everyone's ideas if anyone else wants to chime in!
    I had the same issue in finding a drip pan that would 1) fit in between the place setter inverted and the grid and 2) offer good coverage.  So I bought a used 21" deep dish pizza pan on eBay that was used commercially in it's previous life.  Keep in mind that I have a XL.  This pan is thin enough to fit between, has about 3/4 sides and covers the place setter to within an 1" all around.  
    XL Owner
  • cmkratt
    Great idea! This last time, I just went with the larger, deeper pan. Platesetter, egg feet on top of that, pan on the feet, and grid on the edges of the pan. The pan edges actually supported the weight of the brisket since the grid ended up sitting about an inch above the PS legs.. Worked just fine.