Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jambalaya Stuffed Peppers from Dr BBQ's Slow Fire

jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum

I have been having fun making recipes from Slow Fire, Dr BBQ's cookbook which is said to be "The Beginner's Guide to BBQ". The reality is, the book contains some great recipes which are easy & fun to make, while tasting excellent. For anyone interested here is a review of the cookbook I recently did in my 2014 BBQ Blog: Slow Fire.

While I could have done the whole thing on the Egg using the BGE Dutch oven, I was facing single digit temps and howling winds and elected to make the jambalaya in my indoor Dutch oven. I knew I could do it outside and didn't have to prove it in this weather. The end results were excellent sand surprisingly spicy. The Andouille sausage & jalapeño peppers gave things quite the kick. Onto the pix:

The ingredients are gathered.

To start the jambalaya some onions & green bell peppers were sautéed in a Dutch oven.

Next up was some minced garlic & finely diced jalapeño peppers.

This was followed by the Andouille sausage which had been removed from it's casing and diced.

Some diced tomatoes & ground spices were added next.

Some diced BBQ smoked chicken went in next.

Chicken broth was added next and the mixture was brought to a simmer.

Some rice was added & the mixture was simmered until the rice was soft and most of the liquid had been absorbed or boiled off.

While the jambalaya was finishing up I removed the tops from some bell peppers & hollowed them out. I put them on a wire mesh cooling rack with so smoked apple rings used as a base. This setup allowed me to put everything on the grill in one operation. Plus I didn't have to worry about the peppers tipping over once on the grill.

The finished jambalaya.

The peppers are stuffed.

The peppers are on the Egg where the AR has been set up to let me cook indirectly at 235 degrees. I have just tossed some Jack Daniels oak chips on the fire. The oval shaped pizza stone of the AR makes it easy to add chips to the fire.

After 90 minutes the peppers were cooked & they are off to the kitchen for a 5 minute rest.

mmmmmmm!!

Jim
3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments