Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you get crispy skin salmon on a cedar plank?

Options
I really love cedar plank salmon; the only thing is, the top is never crispy. Anyone know how to accomplish the cedar plank method so that the fish retains all the moisture and wood flavor, but also has a crispy top (preferably the skin side up)?
Southern California

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

I've never see anybody do skin side up, usually its skin side down. Why don't you slide it off the plank a few minutes before its done and go direct skin side down to try and crisp it up?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    I've always done skin side down on planks..
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    +1 for skin side down on a plank.  The only way I can get crispy salmon skin is to separate it from the fish itself, leaving the skin on the egg after the meat is cooked.  My dogs love the crispy skin . . .
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    Sorry, I don't think I was clear in my opening post.  I'm fine keeping the skin side down on the plank.  My question has more to do with how to get the side that's facing up--whether it's got skin or not--to have a nice crust without completely drying out the salmon.  Anyone know how to do that?
    Southern California
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Depending on the rub used, amount of sugar present, I'd guess you either torch it or broil it. By the time the dome heat crisps the upper surface, the fish would be overcooked. Like Griff says, the only crisp skin I've obtained was doing it raised direct. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Don't use the plank, it crisps right up.
    Seattle, WA
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    Try raising it up in the grid to cook hotter, just be careful you don't overcook it
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    Try raising it up in the grid to cook hotter, just be careful you don't overcook it
    So a raised grid results in higher heat?  
    Southern California
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    best chance would be to raise a pizza stone as high up as you can, get the egg really hot, then slip the planked salmon just under the stone. the radiant heat from the stone acts similar to a broiler. the egg needs to be HOT.  this was a comp post from years ago for crisping skin on slow smoked chicken thighs, it should work with salmon. an adjustable rig or something similar would be needed
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Start with cedar plank and before its done, remove plank and flip it over? Sugar in a glaze might help. Just a thought. Really don't know.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• nbak4bbq
    nbak4bbq Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm a regular planker, bicktrav, and I think I've got the answer for you here. Keep a blow torch handy by your Egg. I use a basic plumber's blow torch: a few quid from any hardware store. After 20 mins (or however long it takes to cook your salmon through) lift your lid and blast the top of your salmon until it crisps and bubbles: completely delicious!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    bicktrav said:
    So a raised grid results in higher heat?  
    Yes, the convection heat is higher towards the dome. That is why we do pizza up high.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Don't use the plank, it crisps right up.
    That's what I was thinking.
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    No, there is no way, other than giving the skin the creme brûlée treatment, that is torch it. The side next to the plank will be soft. I'm betting 90% of planked salmon lovers do not eat the skin at all, they like the way the plank helps with retaining moisture, hence the popularity in planked fish. I bet most of the skin is fed to the family dog. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!