Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless Pork Chops - Recommendations Please!

Options
fence0407
fence0407 Posts: 2,236
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum
I've only cooked boneless pork chops a few times with varying results. I have 2 chops that are about an inch thick I'd like to cook tonight. I'm looking for recommendations on rubs/marinades/methods on cooking them this evening for dinner. What internal temp should I be looking for? Direct, raised, indirect, dome temp? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Will happily post some pics of the cook later. Thanks!
Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
Cumming, GA  

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    usually raised direct at a high temp, lots of rub, and 142 max internal, after 142 they are drying out, for something different these were done at 375 raised direct, butterflied, apricot chutney, asiago, basil, glazed with more chutney towards the end. have done them with chiliies and cheese as well. any combo you like would work

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Conneggticut_Yankee
    Options
    My favorite pork chop recipes comes from Alton Brown. I've made it several times before but have yet to try it on the Egg. The recipe states they only need to marinate for 2 hours to overnight. My experience has been to let them go for at least a full 24 hours and have let them go 3 days. The longer the better. Might not help you tonight but this coffee-molasses marinade is a keeper. I would grill raised direct. I'm thinking the recipe's "medium-high" temp would be around 400-500 dome. 
    Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

• Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    I'm a big fan of brining them, cooking direct until they just hit 135°F, and then hitting with a glaze.

http://www.food-fire.com/index.php/2013/04/25/grilled-pork-chops-with-orange-fennel-mostarda/
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Conneggticut_Yankee
    Options
    Ok, those rolled chops look freaking amazing @fishlessman.
    Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • fence0407
    Options
    Ok, those rolled chops look freaking amazing @fishlessman.
    They do look great! Thanks @fishlessman and everyone else for the help. I'll have to do some thinking before I get home, but either way I think I'll enjoy my dinner tonight!
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    Options
    DMW said:
    I saw this post earlier when I was searching on pork chops. Those chops look phenomenal!
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I appreciate all of the comments from yesterday. I wanted to post some pictures of my results.

First I dusted the chops with a combo of EVOO, Dizzy Dust and Bad Byrons:

Next I set up the egg for a raised direct cook with a temp around 450-500, with a little help from Max:

Seared the chops for about 3 minutes per side:

Removed them and put in the extended grate to get them up a little higher. Did my best to lower the temp to near 400. Basted them with bbq sauce and let them cook until 140 IT.

Plated with some mashed potatoes and a balsamic vinaigrette salad. Best chops I've made to date!

Cumming, GA  

• Conneggticut_Yankee
    Options
    These all look awesome. 

I got a serious hankering now. That's it, I gotta get me some pork chops.
    Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

• New2Q
    New2Q Posts: 171
    Options
    fence0407 said:

Is that an English Foxhound?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You can cook any temp you want, as you can with just about anything, but I pull them off at 135F internal.  The IT will rise up to around 140F give or take, depending on how thick and how hot you cook.  Cooking them well-done just ruins them.
    Options
    New2Q said:
    fence0407 said:

We've always thought he was a Treeing Walker Coonhound. I got him as a rescue puppy and never really asked what exact breed he was, just knew he was a hound. According to Wikipedia, "The Treeing Walker Coonhound is a breed of hound descended from the English and American Foxhounds. They were first recognized as a separate breed in 1945". So it looks like he might be some sort of mixture between them all!
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    Options
    You can cook any temp you want, as you can with just about anything, but I pull them off at 135F internal.  The IT will rise up to around 140F give or take, depending on how thick and how hot you cook.  Cooking them well-done just ruins them.
    I think my main problem when cooking chops before was that I always dried them out by cooking them too long. I was never really sure what IT to look for until now. I agree completely that a final resting temp of near 140 is perfect.
    Cumming, GA  

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Do they taste good? :D
    Options
    Do they taste good? :D
    Absolutely! 
    Cumming, GA  

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Raised direct @ 350 pulled at 130 and seared, finished @ 140 and rested. Rubbed with worcestershire sauce, season with Accent, Lawreys season salt and lemon pepper.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • New2Q
    Options
    fence0407 said:
    New2Q said:
    We've always thought he was a Treeing Walker Coonhound. I got him as a rescue puppy and never really asked what exact breed he was, just knew he was a hound. According to Wikipedia, "The Treeing Walker Coonhound is a breed of hound descended from the English and American Foxhounds. They were first recognized as a separate breed in 1945". So it looks like he might be some sort of mixture between them all!
    Well Max is a good looking (and happy looking) dog whatever breed of mix of breeds he is.  I'll have to look more into the Treeing Walker Coonhound.  Thanks for the information.
  • New2Q
    Options
    Oh, and my wife asked me to tell you that Max is a cutie.
  • fence0407
    Options
    New2Q said:
    Oh, and my wife asked me to tell you that Max is a cutie.
    Thanks! If you are in the market for a dog, Max has been the best dog I could have asked for the last 11 years. I would highly recommend the breed of Treeing Walker Coonhound (assuming that's what Max is). Even at 11, he still acts like a puppy. But don't be fooled, he loves to be lazy and would have a hard time convincing you he's not comfortable:

Cumming, GA  

• rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    There is nothing like a rescue dog! I think they know where they were headed, when we come and save them!
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    I agree with nolaegghead, 138 then pull is the key.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Your chops look excellent.. Thanks for posting!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • GrillsGoneWild
    Options
    fence0407 said:
    I appreciate all of the comments from yesterday. I wanted to post some pictures of my results.

First I dusted the chops with a combo of EVOO, Dizzy Dust and Bad Byrons:

He kinda looks like an English Porkchop Eatin Dog if you are not careful. :D
  • fence0407
    Options
    rifrench said:
    There is nothing like a rescue dog! I think they know where they were headed, when we come and save them!
    Agreed!
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    Options

Your chops look excellent.. Thanks for posting!
    De nada!
    Cumming, GA