Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold Smoked Bacon Question

Options
Currently cold smoking my pork belly using the amazing pellet smoker.  Just curious if, like when smoking cheese, you need to let it sit for a few weeks before eating to mellow out the smoke flavour?? 

Thanks for any help!

Sherriff
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Comments

• Conneggticut_Yankee
    Options
    I've always hot smoked and would slice it immediately after short chill time in the fridge. I think it would be the same for the cold smoked. I haven't heard anything different. I'm sure someone who has cold smoked will eventually chime in. 
    Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I just cold smoke some back bacon last week. It sat in the fridge overnight and we sliced some up for breaky. I was thinking the same thing but when I cut and fried it up I thought it was good. All of those that I gave some to said the same. I sliced some up for my sous today as well, and to me it tasted the same as it did the first day.  It has been 7 days since I smoked it.
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    it has been my experience to take it right out of the egg and slice it up and eat it .

Also if your not using a meat slicer a good trick is to put the belly in the freezer after for a a few hours as it will be way easier to slice when it is almost frozen ,
    Toronto
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    it has been my experience to take it right out of the egg and slice it up and eat it .

Also if your not using a meat slicer a good trick is to put the belly in the freezer after for a a few hours as it will be way easier to slice when it is almost frozen ,

Yeah but you have one of those high tech electric smoker boxes.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    smokes in five minutes - med rare
    Toronto
  • Sherriff
    Sherriff Posts: 31
    Options
    Ok, thanks for the info.  

Sherriff
    Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Even if you have a slicer, give it a bit of a freeze before slicing.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker