Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pull and sort lump or bag dumper

SkinnyV
SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum
I'll pull out big pieces form low and slows here and there but I also dump the bag in which gets menthe dust and small pieces.... I don't waste.
I've seen some have a seperate bin and sort upon opening. Whats your setup? I am leaning towards the sort route as I want less mess.
Seattle, WA

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Whatever comes out of the bag is what goes into the egg. Large, small, dust, whatever. Hot and fast or low and slow. Not sure what you mean by "mess"... dump it in and put the bag away. No mess.

If I had to sort and arrange lump, I would buy a gasser. 
    :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    After I found concrete chunks in the firebox I decided to start loading by hand, not dumping. That also let's me position large chunks on bottom for better airflow.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Dump
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    I just dump my Cowboy or RO lump in and don't worry about the fire. I think some of us try to make things too difficult.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Remove each piece and weight it individually. Sort into 3 groups based on weight class. Then stack carefully as if assembling a puzzle, large on bottom, then medium, then small. The dust I sprinkle on top.

And if you believe that, I have some stuff to sell you. :))

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    henapple said:

When I dump Ozark Oak it stacks itself to provide the correct amount of airflow. I only need to tell the bag whether I'm cooking a low and slow or turbo. Since there is no dust there is no mess. The bag comes with a self collapsible design which when emptied folds itself up to minimize waste. It also includes BGE trading cards with pictures of your favorite eggers and their stats.

Now I had to laugh at that!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Dump and GO!  I've said this before, the day I have to start stacking and sorting charcoal is the day I quit cooking.......I occasionally use a wiggle rod from the bottom to make sure everything is flowing good for low and slow's but other than that it's pretty much dump - light - cook!

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Dump and go. Plastic makes good smoke for poultry. image :-q
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    henapple said:
    When I dump Ozark Oak it stacks itself to provide the correct amount of airflow. I only need to tell the bag whether I'm cooking a low and slow or turbo. Since there is no dust there is no mess. The bag comes with a self collapsible design which when emptied folds itself up to minimize waste. It also includes BGE trading cards with pictures of your favorite eggers and their stats.
    Doesn't the newer bags actually light automatically??  Rockwood does!!  =))

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    dump, though I do a quick look for any foreign items after.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I feel pretty comfortable dumping WGWW but, truthfully on low & slows I'll place large pieces at the bottom, get fire started and then dump slowly to inspect for foreign matter. The only lump I've had thus far with plastic was Cowboy (last 20# bag had quite a bit of plastic ties and a couple of old black zip ties...I had 4 20# bags of Coyboy and EVERY one of them had plastic. So I stopped buying it). Rocks and metal pieces aren't a huge concern but, plastic would ruin a meal real quick (brisket, butt, steak, pizza, bread, chicken etc + plastic in lump no Bueno). But, this thread is about dump or no dump. So yep sometimes I'll take a dump :-D.
    DMW said:

Remove each piece and weight it individually. Sort into 3 groups based on weight class. Then stack carefully as if assembling a puzzle, large on bottom, then medium, then small. The dust I sprinkle on top.

And if you believe that, I have some stuff to sell you. :))

@DMW‌ LMAO!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Dump and remove any foreign objects

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Dump
    Only Maple Leaf Lump though so that's all that is needed.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Hankyorke
    Hankyorke Posts: 146
    Lump dumper here!

LBGE

BTFU!

• plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    @Jeremiah  what brand had that plastic? thats the one thing i DO not want in my lump...Im ok with rocks, concrete, metal...not plastics that off gas

Beaufort, SC
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412

@Jeremiah  what brand had that plastic? thats the one thing i DO not want in my lump...Im ok with rocks, concrete, metal...not plastics that off gas

I've been doing paint and body work for 18 years. A little bit of plastic won't hurt, unless your in California. It causes cancer there. image
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Stir old lump, dump new lump, light and wiggle rod grate after a few mins.... Much better things to do than OCD with the lump.... rake out ash when it looks like it is getting close to fire grate.... my fire box and ring have not been out for 3 years(that's when I replaced the broken ones) ... 

Kent Madison MS
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    I've never taken a dump in my egg.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Dump it. If screwed up its henapples fault as all I have is OO.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Dump. No reason to stack lump special imo.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I used to sort, but now just stir and dump. Haven't had any issues.
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Dump and burn baby!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    I am still treating this as if it's "open heart surgery"...placing big pieces then the smaller on top. I am sure I will soon be "Dumping in my Egg"..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Have done both and do not notice a difference in placing/stacking vs dumping.  Dump wins.
    Michael 

Winston Salem, NC

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    BBQMaven said:
    Stir old lump, dump new lump, light and wiggle rod grate after a few mins.... Much better things to do than OCD with the lump.... rake out ash when it looks like it is getting close to fire grate.... my fire box and ring have not been out for 3 years(that's when I replaced the broken ones) ... 

This.  Then I clear a small space in the lump at the front to make sure at least one hole in the charcoal grate is clear and will not get pugged.  When I do that there is enough airflow to get very hot very fast - and I can sleep like a baby on an overnight low and slow without having to buy a temp controller.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Mickey said:

Dump it. If screwed up its henapples fault as all I have is OO.

I stand beside my product. ..until it's in your truck. Then it's your problem.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    When ever I go outside to make a BM(BTU modification) in the egg, I just open the flap and dump the load right in the base as if its a bowl. Once it warms up, if the smell starts bothering neighbors I tell them that I just lit a match.

If that isn't good enough for them, I blame the dog.