Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Your Favorite Rub For Steak

I am on a quest to make a better steak. Believe me guys I have come a long way. I grew up with a dad that thought you weren't grilling unless you cooked it with gas. I didn't even like steak as a kid. My wife of almost 23 years has told me more than once that when she first ate steak at my parent's house she understood why I didn't like it. 

My parent's had a very bland palate and never used a lot of seasonings. My dad grilled it to death and then we ate it as soon as it was done. No resting at all! 

Anyway I also grilled on gas when I was grown (stop the madness) until my wife convinced to try charcoal. (I thought she was insane). Gas is the only way to grill! (I was brainwashed). 

After I got the hang of charcoal I decided that I loved steak. Then I got my large egg and wow how life has changed. I feel like a caveman that found a lighter! 

I have been using Red Eye Express with great results. We love them and so do my parents! My dad was shocked that I didn't cook it with gas. 

So my question is what rub do you guys like on steak?  

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,658
    salt :D if its not a good steak maybe a cajan rub with salt but for the good ones, just salt for me
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Cowlick is good, a bit too much for my kids palates though. S&P only if you have a really nice steak and want to let the beef flavor speak for itself. I've heard Mickey's coffee rub is good on steak, going to try it this weekend.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Dizzy Pig Raising the Steaks after a little pressed garlic.  Love it!!! 
    Santa Paula, CA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Mickey's coffee rub...hands down.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    DP Cowlick or S&P
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Cowlick or Penzies Chicago Steak Seasoning

Garnerville, NY
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    +1 DP cowlick, DP raising the steaks or DP red eye express. I like the A1 rubs too they are not bad. Webber makes some goods one too. I use there hamburger spices on steak family liked it best. My wife thinks the DP rubs are pepper. I go easy on them.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Thanks guys. Keep em coming!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Rebelst8
    Rebelst8 Posts: 36
    Publix brand Amazing Steak Seasoning (make the marinade - 2Tbls Oil, 2Tbls Water). Best I've found yet. 
    Victor
    LBGE
    America's Best Coast - The Space Coast
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    McCormick Grill Mates...20% less sodium "Montreal Steak"..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340

Tasty licks chunky NY steak seasoning and red eye red meat. 

Also agree Weber makes some good rub. Especially like the Chicago steak seasoning.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2014
    I guess we all go through phases, variety is the spice of life. 
    Salt only if you are blasting the steak (Trex) at the start of the cook, season after and/or use a board sauce. If reverse searing, some smoke and seasoning work great through the low (<250º) indirect cook, dry before searing (this will remove some of the seasoning which is Ok as you may not want it to burn), brush with seasoned melted butter if you like that black, charred/burned crust. 
    I like Penzey's Chicago steak spice as foundation for a board sauce. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,163
    I'm in the S&P camp for good cuts. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited March 2014
    For me on a good quality steak...EVOO, kosher salt and coarse black pepper is all that is needed IMHO.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Cowlick, Montreal, mostly just S&P. Au poivre is a favorite, using cracked peppercorns.
  • Tigers34
    Tigers34 Posts: 37
    McCormick Grill Mates...20% less sodium "Montreal Steak"..
    I agree on the Montreal Steak.  Sometimes I just use a little soy sauce.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Johnny's and add additional S&P. Gotta make sure I get in my daily 10,000mg of sodium. Lol
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • jmcnutt5
    jmcnutt5 Posts: 88

I buy steaks in bulk at Sam's.  I will get two steaks (one for me and one for my wife) and put in a vacuum seal bag, drizzle it with olive oil on both sides, and then sprinkle Angelo's Steak Pit (in Panama City Beach) seasoning.  I will then vacuum seal the bag and put it in the freezer.  I always let them thaw to room termperature before cooking of course.  I do our ribeyes, new york strips, and fillets that way and they are delicious.  The seasoning is $10 for a 11oz jar at the resturant which is pricey but it is $20 online (yikes!).  I think it is well worth it thought.  It is mainly salt with some other spices. 

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Just S&P for me.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    +1 on DP Raising the Steaks
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • jrf316
    jrf316 Posts: 55
    salt and pepper
    Visca Barca
    Mes Que Un Club

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Either Kosher salt and pepper or kosher salt and Raising the steaks for me.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • drewaars
    drewaars Posts: 63
    I had just gotten my DP sampler and was giving Raising the Steaks a try.  My buddy brought over Fiesta brand Uncle Chris' Steak Seasoning so we had a little season off.  He left his bottle at my place and now its all I use at the moment.  Only $2.49 for a bottle.
    LBGE in Arlington, TX

Thanks and Gig'em
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    S&P - but the cajun rub from Nibble Me This is pretty amazing . . . 

Grove's Cajun Beef Rub
    2 T smoked paprika
    2 t kosher salt, coarse ground
    2 t granulated onion, coarse ground (substitute onion powder but grinding your own rocks)
    2 t granulated garlic, coarse ground (same)
    2 t cayenne pepper
    1.5 t white pepper
    1/2 t black pepper
    1 t thyme
    1 t oregano
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    You guys are killin' me. I haven't had a steak in at least a year because I haven't had a GOOD steak in about FOUR years. I stopped even trying. Oh, they LOOK good, nice marbling, perfect sear, medium rare inside... and exceedingly tough and tasteless! Even tried a jaccard. Got tired of wasting good money on crap so I gave up.

But s&p was my favorite. Had a homebrew brisket rub that was pretty good on steaks too. Back when steaks were pretty good.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    You guys are killin' me. I haven't had a steak in at least a year because I haven't had a GOOD steak in about FOUR years. I stopped even trying. Oh, they LOOK good, nice marbling, perfect sear, medium rare inside... and exceedingly tough and tasteless! Even tried a jaccard. Got tired of wasting good money on crap so I gave up.

But s&p was my favorite. Had a homebrew brisket rub that was pretty good on steaks too. Back when steaks were pretty good.
    All you have to do is retire and Mickey will send you some of the Loebels prime $40/lb steak.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    edited March 2014
    I've always felt that no oil, herb, or spice (even black pepper) can survive the really hot sear that the Egg is capable of.  I only use salt (although I love a drizzle of good olive oil after its rested).  
    Maybe time for another "side-by-side" experiment this weekend!

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Carolina Q
    Well, I did that about three years ago. Still waiting for Mickey's shipment. :D I'm sure if I was willing to spend big bucks on steak, I could find some good stuff. But $20-30-40 a pound ain't gonna happen! Oh well... doc says 'eat mor chikn' anyway.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    My Wife and Granddaughters only want coffee rub.
    Carolina Q if you are talking about some coffee rub it will be in the mail in the morning by sending me your address. If you are talking about the VERY HIGH DOLLAR steaks i was given by my ad guy, sorry......
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Carolina Q
    Mickey, I have coffee rub thanks. And it is excellent, especially on chicken!! :) Smokeypitt said you would send the good steaks if I retired. Guess you didn't know I already did.  :D

Michael 
    Central Connecticut