Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Simplest Way to Pull Pork, Beef...

Options
Pulled Pork is a love hate thing with me. Pulled Pork is my favorite BBQ dish, but pulling the pork is my least favorite BBQ related prep task. A few weeks ago I made pulled beef for the first time. I wasn't sure if you did it the same way as pulled pork, so I looked online to see how to pull beef. When I looked I found a GREAT tip for pulling meat. It was in many places, so I have no idea who the credit for the original idea goes to. Also if this had been posted here I'm sorry, I didn't see it.

The trick is to use the paddle blade to a KitchenAid (or similar) stand mixer. Break the meat into chunks and place them in the bowl and mix on slow speed unit the meat is the texture you want. In my case I had 5 pounds of beef which finished in less than two minutes.

3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Really cool tip Jim- thanks!  Haven't seen that one before. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• EggSpinner
    Options
    Have not seen this before but will definitely be trying.  Thanks!
    Michael 

Winston Salem, NC

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    This works as well. 3 butts pulled in a minute, literally. A bit pricey, but worth it if you have a lot to pull.

Oh, use a food safe grade bucket and only use it for food.
    imageimageimage
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    Cool, I may have to try this. I like my bear paws though...
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I'm too lazy to clean up but a cool hack none the less.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Miked125 said:
    Cool, I may have to try this. I like my bear paws though...
    Funny you should say that. I picked up a set of bear claws at Eggtoberfest. I know lot's of people who rave about them, but I can't stand the things. Couldn't find a way to make them work when I tried it on pulled pork.
    I'm too lazy to clean up but a cool hack none the less.
    Me too. That is what god made dishwashers for. Every part of the mixer that needed cleaning was dishwasher safe.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i like my pork pulled, not shredded. i find it helps to recruit someone for that job
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • cajuncook
    cajuncook Posts: 99
    Options
    The dough hook works good also and doesn't shred the meat as much as the paddle.
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA
  • Socalcajudo
    Socalcajudo Posts: 132
    Options
    Wow. Great idea Jim. Thank you for the advice. You are a genius.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
    Options
    How's it going, Jim?! :) Great tip and the beef looks terrific!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Very good tip. Thank you.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    I wonder if a thinset/grout mixer paddle would work good.
    Gittin' there...
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Will try next time. Thx!

If it wasn't so messy, I like the Chris Lilly machete method...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Great tip - will try it next time.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. Will try it sometime. I've seen the videos before of the drill attachment and it seemed like it shredded the butt into strands. 

And that Chris Lilly video is awesome! Love how there are bits of pork flying in the air as he chops.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    edited March 2014
    Options
    jfm0830 said:
    Funny you should say that. I picked up a set of bear claws at Eggtoberfest. I know lot's of people who rave about them, but I can't stand the things. Couldn't find a way to make them work when I tried it on pulled pork.

If you stick two fingers outside like this then you have a powerful grip with the claws. HTH 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.