Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mold in Big Green Egg

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I ma having problems keeping mold from grwing in the Egg when not in use.
I used to have Egg on porch out of weather and had no problems. Now Egg is outside and in weather and becomes full of grayish mold when not in use.
Any ideas?

Comments

• Sean, It burns out real easily. I would advise making sure there is good air circulation. Living in Atlanta I have to burn mold out of mine once or twice annually, but usually after it has been sitting idly by. When I am cooking my normal 2-3 times weekly I never have the problem.

• Sean,
    use it more often. .. . heeeee . .. .lacking this, after you get it shut down, open the vents a little bit to let air flow through. ...otherwise, don't worry about it, it does no harm, and it will burn off when you fire it up the next time. .. when i don't use my small often enough, it sometimes grows so much hair it looks like stumpbaby's back. . .

• Sean,
    putther back on the porch.

• MnMikey
    MnMikey Posts: 28
    Thanks all. Burning didn't do as good of a job as I hoped. Taking it up to Pizza zone heat now
  • Air flow is the problem. We have tried many ways to get rid of the mold. Constantly using the Egg seems to be the solution.
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    I have not had this problem, even when I don't cook for (gasp) a couple of weeks.  But, I always leave the bottom vent completely open.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Use it every day, no problems....
    LBGE
  • MOLD on TABLE!
    XL BGE new cedar table was covered since new...used only about 3 times in six months due to location at second home.  Removed cover and table covered in mold from top to legs.  Cleaned with bleach and water.  Not sucessful.  Left cover off to let sunshine heal and one month later returned to find blacker mold had spread everywhere.  Mold in egg cooked off.
    Mfg rep giving hard time about replacement.
    Any others out there had same problem?
    Did mfg replace?
    Thanks
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    You're not using enough bleach. Buy a disposable pump sprayer, spray straight household bleach. Yup. Straight. Try to do it when the suns not beating on it also. Let the bleach dwell (sit) for ~5mins. Don't let it dry! Then hit it with the pressure washer with no more than 500 psi. Then reseal it after it's dry.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Try using vinegar. Bleach kills surface mold but not as effective at eradicating mold on porous surfaces. You gotta be able to kill the roots of the mold. If you search the internet you'll find lots of articles on killing mold.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    I would also suggest that if you're leaving it sitting for a long period of time (maybe a month or more?), you might think about leaving it uncovered.  Sometimes covers can be a culprit too because of the moisture from wet conditions gets trapped and is not able to dry as well in drier conditions and direct sunlight.  And if you get the mold off, definitely apply at least a clear sealant.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    ewwww.....mold from 2004?!  That's gotta be nasty.
    ewwww.....mold from 2004?!  That's gotta be nasty.

very observant,  a thread that started in 2004.   wow

XL   Walled Lake, MI