Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The egg does have a down side

Options
awm
awm Posts: 181
We tried a new burger place in town that everyone's been talking about. They are known for having speciality "gourmet" burgers. We'll after getting mine all I could think about while eating this expensive hamburger was that the only thing better than ones off my egg was their buns tasted better.. I've also quit enjoying steaks at restaurants since the egg.. I do have to say that's the only down side I can find haha

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    +1

Options
    Yep. I only eat out sushi and Mexican now.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    On the up side you don't have to tip for crappy service as much
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• awm
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Hi54putty said:

Yep. I only eat out sushi and Mexican now.

O yea we definitely do our fair share of
    Eating out for some Mexican
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Same here. I think we are just getting old and starting to sound like our parents.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    A long-time restaurant rule/guidance I use-never order in a restaurant that which you can cook at home.  I have used this rule long before the BGE...even in my youth!  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    EggNorth said:
    Same here. I think we are just getting old and starting to sound like our parents.
    I was in Cambridge today and we went to the new BBQ place on #24. It was OK but the brisket was steamed...no bark

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    EggNorth said:
    I was in Cambridge today and we went to the new BBQ place on #24. It was OK but the brisket was steamed...no bark
    If I'm not mistaken, sounds like you were right next to the place I bought my egg (Bast).   There seems to be a few BBQ joints popping up in the region, seems to be popular.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

EggNorth said:

Travis style?

=))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Egglegal_Alien
    Options
    @awm @Hi54putty just wondering... What do you get when you eat out for Mexican?

Curious to know what passes for Mexican away from home XD

XL BGE + Large BGE @ Monterrey, Mexico
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I cooked some sushi on my egg and it tasted like regular fish, so I'm agreeing.
    Options
    EggNorth said:
    EggNorth said:
    If I'm not mistaken, sounds like you were right next to the place I bought my egg (Bast).   There seems to be a few BBQ joints popping up in the region, seems to be popular.

In the plaza just north of Timmy's at Bishop

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• dfrelich
    dfrelich Posts: 104
    Options
    Heh. My wife and I spoke of similar topic the other day. She asked why is that we are stuck in the rut with our eat out choices. Eat out at Chicka Fila, Panera or Subway, but not other restaurants. I say it's better to pay less than 30 dollars for 4 of us than to pay over 60 dollars at sit down restaurants. Kids still order chicken fingers and fries. She said. No it's the egg.
    X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    This conversation comes up daily in our house ..... Usually around dinner time
    Toronto
  • awm
    Options

@awm @Hi54putty just wondering... What do you get when you eat out for Mexican?

Curious to know what passes for Mexican away from home XD

32 oz miller lite, cheese dip and fajitas. If I'm just goin for lunch I'll get some kind of burrito with some beans and or rice
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I was in Cambridge today and we went to the new BBQ place on #24. It was OK but the brisket was steamed... I think it's called "Smokin Tonys ". I am in Cambridge and haven't tried it yet
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • CanadianQ
    Options
    GlennM said:
    I was in Cambridge today and we went to the new BBQ place on #24. It was OK but the brisket was steamed... I think it's called "Smokin Tonys ". I am in Cambridge and haven't tried it yet
    There are a lot of those places popping up in the area. We've had one in the west end of Guelph for a couple years now and they're opening another in the south end on Clair Rd. They're ok.
    Guelph, ON, Canada
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Great point - the extra money your spending for an inferior product really gets me.  Here is an example: I have multiple sealed bags of home ground beef (chuck & short-rib) for burgers but went out for a quick dinner with my sister.  Nice spot with a small menu, so I ordered a burger for $11 plus an appetizer at $9 and two beers at $4.50/each.  With tip, I dropped $35 out for a burger/beers . .  and all I could think about was how I wanted a BGE burger!

With that said, tons of amazing food out there that can not be made on the BGE.  I am really into Korean flavors right now, so I try to find those spots and avoid American BBQ, Pork Tenderloins, Chicken, Steak, Burgers, etc. . . . you get the idea.  

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    This sort of thread comes up pretty often. A guy I used to work with thought Eggs were way too expensive, and didn't believe me when I talked about how good the food came out, and how easy it was to use. He eventually bought a used medium from Craigslist, and told me his wife said the first rack of ribs he made was "best ever,"

If there is something I have a good chance of making myself, I use the money saved by not going to a restaurant towards buys finer/rarer ingredients.
  • dutchie
    dutchie Posts: 17
    Options

EggNorth said:
    EggNorth said:

In the plaza just north of Timmy's at Bishop

I agree with the brisket there, no bark.  There is another place in Cambridge called Q BBQ Public House on the corner of Dundas(hwy 8) and Beverley. Apparently it is going to be featured on "You gotta eat here" (Canada's Answer to DD&D)    

"Oh how lovely cooks the meat"- Frankie Lane

Caledonia, Ontario

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Here in Santa Paula there are mainly Mexican restaurants.  There are a couple that serve authentic Mexican food, but most serve Americanized cheesy flavorless junk food.  The GFU and I ended up meeting a group of friends for dinner at one of the latter establishments last night.  Ugh!!  Horrible!!  I would so much rather prepare something on the Egg than waste the $47 that I paid to be gastronomically insulted.  Of course that included 2 margaritas (also marginal).  The redeeming quality was that it was a place where 14 people could gather and be boisterous without offending anyone.  Oh yes, and I didn't need to cook and cleanup for 14 people after a full day of work.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Socalcajudo
    Socalcajudo Posts: 132
    Options
    Totally agree. My wife does not look forward to eating out as much especially if it's something that can be cooked off the egg. Especially, steak and chicken. I can't complain it save us a whole heck of money to invest towards other bbq accessories and maybe eventually another egg.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Currently my wife and i are on Take Shape For Life (Medifast) and we can't have normal carbs so there is not much point in going out to eat. If we went out it would be for Italian or Mexican and those are both off the list for right now. We have gone out recently and i have ordered steak or pork, but ask for not potato just extra veggies. Now that I have done steak on the Egg it may get even worse. I need to try a big bone in pork chop and then i won't bother with gong out much. Thinking of doing meatloaf this weekend. Its a nice problem to have.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Options
    Nothing is worse than spending 50-60$ on a meal and drinks and All ya can think about is how the food and service was at best mediocre, when coulda stayed home and egged a great meal with good beers for half the price