Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coal: Best course of action for 2nd cook

Options
This is what it looks like after cooking a Butt 8+ hours. Going to do a Turbo Brisket Sunday. What is my best plan of action coal wise?
photo 237F03C6-EB14-4616-92DA-798F2C59A5FD_zpsmqrsurbx.jpg

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Stir it so the ash drops, add new if needed and light.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    If it were a low and slow I'd clean it out to start with Max airflow...but I don't do a full clean out for a couple hour cook... +1 @DMW‌ comment...another variable would be if you did a full scoop out before the 8 hour butts.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    +1 Stir. Add new. Light.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    ++ on stir, add and light
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    +++ on stir, dump and light. Plus make sure your holes in the side of the firebox are open and not clogged

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • TxBeekeeper
    Options
    Big 10-4. Thanks guys! Y'all have been a lot of help to this new Egg owner the past couple weeks. I appreciate it!
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options

stir, add and light.

the best part if you don't add, the temp comes up faster and the VOC's are gone..  Can cook a lot faster, 

I try to always fill the egg up if it is depleted and I need more. and if I don't need any more for the next cook.  the time from start to cook is reduced.

XL   Walled Lake, MI