Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Man's Best Friend

Comments

• revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Katie, my old Vizsla.

Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • Kempy
    Kempy Posts: 188

@Kempy‌... I used to hunt pheasants in Nebraska with a dude that had a dog that could've been his twin (was real good pointer, flushed birds and would happily retrieve a bird out of the thickets). Also used to hunt with several different Labs and a Weimaraner :o3. Sadly no pheasant hunting in FL :-( But, I love the fishing here so it's a tradeoff I suppose ;-)

Yeah I live in Pierre, SD, so right on the heart of pheasant country. I'm looking forward to the fall already.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Speaking of Golden Retrievers - my family dog growing up was a Golden and lived to be 18.  Crazy huh?  At 18 he was still happy and hungry . . .  but his hips were completely shot, cataracs too milky to see and lost control of his bowels.  He was an absolute Saint and will never be forgotten or replaced.  No pic but figured I would share since we have some Golden lovers here . .
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    NDG said:
    Speaking of Golden Retrievers - my family dog growing up was a Golden and lived to be 18.  Crazy huh?  At 18 he was still happy and hungry . . .  but his hips were completely shot, cataracs too milky to see and lost control of his bowels.  He was an absolute Saint and will never be forgotten or replaced.  No pic but figured I would share since we have some Golden lovers here . .
    This is almost exactly what happened to mine. I had to carry him to the backyard to go to the bathroom. The day he couldn't get up to greet me after school and started pooping himself, my Dad decided it was time. Worst day of my life.
  • Eggcelsior
    @skiddymarker

Nope Nope Nope.

I didn't fall into a well. His name was Cooper. Had him for 13 years from the age of 2, I received him as a gift when my mom's medical partner's Golden had puppies.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    So how many cried at the end of reading "Big Red" or "Ol Yeller"?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    my old dog root hated goldens, was attacked by three of them while he was chained to my ice shack once, a very unfair fight 3 to one
    ;) after the owner picked up his dogs he called the dog officer and recieved three tickets
    :)) root was never the same around goldens after that
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • drewaars
    drewaars Posts: 63
    edited March 2014
    Here's my 8 month old choc lab Lucy, she's an in progress bird dog.  Last dove season she was just a pup but right there in the middle of it.  If i'm outside egging she's right there with me 
    LBGE in Arlington, TX

Thanks and Gig'em
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited March 2014
    henapple said:
    I think I did with Ol Yeller, but that was a long time ago.  I know Where the Red Fern Grows got me as a kid.  The one that really tore me up was Marley and Me...mostly cause Colby was a pup when I read it.  I've experienced some of the craziness in my lab, so it was easy to relate to the book.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    @skiddymarker

Nope Nope Nope.

I didn't fall into a well. His name was Cooper. Had him for 13 years from the age of 2, I received him as a gift when my mom's medical partner's Golden had puppies.

@eggcelsior almost same thing happened to me ( I was 18). I took her out before I left for work and she was having a bad week. As I pulled out of the driveway and headed down the road I saw my father headed toward the house. I thought it was strange at that time of day. Later that night I found out why he was headed to the house. He wasn't right for a long time after that. It might sound strange but I couldn't buy a golden because that dog could never be replaced. =((
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• drewaars
    drewaars Posts: 63
    edited March 2014
    more pictures

edit: why are these side ways when you click?
    LBGE in Arlington, TX

Thanks and Gig'em
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @drewaars‌ ...looking at on my mobile and they aren't sideways.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    @Eggcelsior‌...yep that is the one thing that NOBODY wants to do. But, it is also the most loving thing you can do for a furbaby that is in pain and suffering with no chance of getting better. I've had to do it and it's never easy. That's why we should enjoy all our time on earth because it's entirely to short of time. :-). Kinda of like the "Don't Blink" song by Kenny Chesney.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • KingtUT said:
    My Miley is recovering from a torn ACL surgery. I hate seeing her like this but it had to be done.
    Our lab has ACL surgery 2 years ago. She's good as new now!
  • Eggcelsior
    I haven't watched Old Yeller since then. Don't know if I can. Where the Red Fern Grows still gets to me, thinking about it. I haven't seen Marley and Me and probably won't. 

I know it takes a lot to not be selfish with your pet when the time comes. At 15, I was probably too young to fully grasp that. I was angry with my dad when I realized why he picked me up from lacrosse practice with Cooper in the back seat. I had accepted it in the waiting room and totally fell apart when I put him on the table. 

Ahhh, hell. It's getting dusty...
  • tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    henapple said:
    Eggcelsior said:
    I haven't watched Old Yeller since then. Don't know if I can. Where the Red Fern Grows still gets to me, thinking about it. I haven't seen Marley and Me and probably won't.
    Not going to lie, all of them still get me.  My wife doesn't get it.  To her they are just animals and nothing more.  To me they have been brothers, sisters, sons and daughters. 

I feel bad that with the new house she won't let them in.  They have to stay on the porch when the are "inside".  They used to have free range of the house in town.  Waiting for her to take a weekend away and then I'll let them back in and into the king bed with me.

Not the best photo but, Sunny (yellow, 8) and Moose (chocolate, 9).  My two hunting pals.  Sunny isn't very smart and could never learn to hold a bird to hand, but she has a hell of a nose and can find about any bird we loose sight of in the weeds.  Moose is a brute and crashes through stuff.  Best damn dog I've owned.  Wish my sister would have never had him cut before she gave him to us.
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    Molly had to put her down about a year ago and still not over it. She was 15 and still happy but her hips were shot. Best dog ever!image
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

I know it takes a lot to not be selfish with your pet when the time comes. At 15, I was probably too young to fully grasp that. I was angry with my dad when I realized why he picked me up from lacrosse practice with Cooper in the back seat. I had accepted it in the waiting room and totally fell apart when I put him on the table. 

Ahhh, hell. It's getting dusty...
    Your eyes are just getting sweaty.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
     I haven't seen Marley and Me and probably won't. 

I made that mistake a few years ago. By the end my son was crying his eyes out, and I had a huge lump in my throat. Dog people will get that!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    KingtUT said:
    My Miley is recovering from a torn ACL surgery. I hate seeing her like this but it had to be done.
    Our lab has ACL surgery 2 years ago. She's good as new now!

That great to hear. Thanks!
  • cazzy

I haven't seen Marley and Me and probably won't. 

I made that mistake a few years ago. By the end my son was crying his eyes out, and I had a huge lump in my throat. Dog people will get that!

There were five of us when we watched Marley and me. No lump...I was crying and so was everyone else. Colby has never seen more love than he saw when we got home. We all immediately went to him and showered him with hugs. He of course ate it all up.

We had a moment about 5 years ago...we think a **** neighbor gave our dogs something dangerous. He was breathing really fast and was whining. I thought he was going to die and I was in pieces. He had to get a blood transfusion. Thankfully, we haven't had an issue since.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Gotta love dogs...
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • NPHuskerFL
    @cazzy...that is some BS! Food refusal is something that is imprinted in most MWD and civilian working dogs. That being said lucky the neighbor didn't meet a fate similar to..GOODFELLAS - Bar Scene.flv: http://youtu.be/MHTEImx8BLs
    Hey I'm just saying that's all :O. Some people are a waste of oxygen (sounds like that SOB fits that description).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited March 2014
    @SaltySam‌....awww! If there was a thought bubble>>> you MF I'm gonna $#i+ in your shoes. I thought we were buds WTF. Oh it's on now! Lol. Yep she looks pissed :o3
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • cazzy
    So what kind of food do you feed your dog? Outside of what he gets off the egg, he eats Canidae All Life Stages Dry Food. He's done well on it. Before that, he was grubbing Eagle Pack dog food. We've spent a ton on dog food over the last 7 years, but Colby is healthy as hell and usually sits at around 70lbs.
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Here is our latest.
    XL BGE
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited March 2014
    @cazzy... Lili Ann gets Blue Buffalo Wilderness LG Breed Chicken formula 2x per day (small servings). Morning is dry only. Supper time gets her dry + 1/3 can of Authority Brand savory cuts in gravy chicken & rice formula. She was overbred by the assclowns that dumped her so she has hip issues that the dietary + supplement of glucosamine & chondroitin and Vetprofen (basically genetic of Rimadyl) and small 10mg dose of famotidine for prevention of acid common with Rimadyl type NSAID meds). Lili Ann is extremely healthy, lean and her hips have shown remarkable improvements with the above regime. She can damn near catch Peter Cotton Tail that keeps on invading her property :-D. I don't know why they sing "here comes Peter Cottontail hopping down the bunny trail". Cuz everytime I see him he's running like a bat outta hell! Lol. ^~^
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Our 5 year old Westie and 4 year old Scottie this picture was taken last year when we got the news about our baby girl now 5 months old. I never was really a dog person until my wife got our Westie then we clicked it has always amazed me how fast you can make a real connection with a dog that will last for the rest of your life.
    Lexington TN