Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Would you eat it?

Options
njl
njl Posts: 1,123
This is half a london broil that I'd food savered and froze 7 months ago.  I defrosted it in the fridge, marinated it 24h, then smoked it last night (to 140F IT).

Is this a combination of smoke ring and freezer burn?

Comments

• Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Options
    I would at least taste is and go from their if it taste good eat if not throw away of feed to the dog
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    I'll be honest... it doesn't look all that appetizing but, I agree with @Charlesmaneri; try it and see.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options

No, and if I liked the dog he would not get any.

Now my neighbor's dog? Yes, the whole thing.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    I did one a several months ago... cooked the whole thing and food saved & froze half. Thawed the half months later in some simmering water in the food save bag. Tasted even better than the first half
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Just double checking- was it cooked when you food saved and froze, or raw? 

If it was raw, then I would say it is fine.  If it was cooked (twice) then it is more iffy. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Frozen food can dry out but I have no experience with Foodsaver bags, as 7 months seems pretty short.

I wonder if the edges slightly desiccated which allowed for better uptake of marinade between the muscle fibers. What was in your marinade?
  • njl
    Options
    Marinade was Ken's Italian salad dressing (basically oil and vinegar).   I taste tested one slice and it was fine.  I sliced about half of it, added some BBQ sauce, microwaved it to warm it up (it's been in the fridge overnight since I smoked it last night), and made a nice sandwich with it. 

I'll let you know tomorrow if it killed me.  :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    i would eat it, if it didnt taste that good it would become chili
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokinOutBack
    Options
    I've ate a lot of worse looking things than that!
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    The nose knows - how was the smell? Looks like most stuff that comes off the mystery meat shelf in my freezer. It was a combination of freezing then marinating I'm thinking. Looks fine, but then I have no standards. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    I would definitely eat it.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    It's your marinade drawing in. It would continue through the frozen period as long as it's there. 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I would eat it. Even if it is freezer-burned, its not toxic. Go for it! 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    I'd eat it, you can slice it thin and cook it in some Au Jus and make French Dips.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Looks better than a MRE. 8-}
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Yes
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I'm with Smitty, the nose always knows...

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Seriously, the marinade cooked it. Think ceviche

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• njl
    edited March 2014
    Options
    The smell when I opened the food saver bag it had been in since August was odd.  Not a rotten smell, but not a normal fresh meat smell.  The color was kind of more grey than red too.  I was tempted to toss it in the trash right then, but figured I may as well cook it and see...can always throw it out later.

I didn't realize an oil and vinegar dressing would be acidic enough to cook it ceviche style.  I've eat fish done that way...but someone else prepared that.

I finished it today for lunch, BBQ sandwich again.  It was actually really good.

I forgot to mention, after it defrosted, I jaccarded it before putting it in a ziplock with the Ken's Italian to marinate for 24h.

It was amazingly tender, especially considering it was London broil.
  • Rzeancak
    Rzeancak Posts: 193
    Options
    hell yea chow down!
    A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited March 2014
    Options
    It was the vinegar that cooked it. The stabbing you gave it with the jaccard allowed the vinegar to really get in there.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker