Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do l control temperature for 15hr cook.

Comments

• What size Egg? I have an XL and just set it and forget it.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    I love my sleep. I use a Pitmaster 110. Set it and forget it.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Done two 10# butts Monday night 16 hrs on xl had bottom open about 1 inch and top maybe 1/4 in.temp.ran about 240-270
  • Maintaining temp (for any amount of time) is pretty easy once you get the hang of hitting your target temp. Here's just a couple of things to consider:

1. You won't need a full load of lump on an XL for 15 hrs. but go ahead and fill 'er up anyway. Better to have too much then not enough and, any unburned lump can be used for your next cook.

2. Don't chase your temp. Try to catch the temp on the way up (to your target) and being to adjust your vents to arrive at your target. If you overshoot your target it can take a while to get things cooled off. You to learn how to make small adjustments to get where you want to be.

3. Allow enough time for everything, egg and plate setter, to come to temp and for VOC's to burn off. This can take 1/2 to a full hour.

4. Assuming your not using a pit controller use a remote temperature monitor so that you can keep an eye on the temp while your doing other things.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited March 2014
    1. Totally clean out your Egg
    2. Add enough lump to fill the fire box to the top, only large chunks (avoid dust and small pieces for your low and slow cooks)
    3. Light the lump from the top and let fire spread and burn for 15 – 20 minutes with the dome open until all lump has a thin ash covered look
    4. Put the plate setter on, close the lid, and choke the fire down to 250°; (metal cap hinge should be closed and daisy wheel rotated so just a little under half of each hole is open, tweak temperature by adjusting bottom draft door)
    5. Add a few chunks of whatever wood you fancy for smoke and wait 10 mins;
    6. Add your Pork Dutt (sic, hehe)
    7. Monitor for a while and set temp by adjusting bottom draft door

Once stable, a fire built this way should burn through the night with very little change to the Egg’s temp.

Cheers!

XL BGE + Large BGE @ Monterrey, Mexico