Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey breast

Options
I'm planning on doing a turkey breast later today. What to use for smoking wood? I have oak, hickory, cherry, apple and orange chunks. Any suggestions will be helpful.
Nashville, Tennessee

Comments

• JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Options
    Fowl takes on smoke fairly easy, so I would use a mild wood such as one of the fruits you've mentioned. Out of those listed I'd use orange or apple. Someone on here has a recipe for a coffee rub that goes well with Turkey Breast. Search function will help you there...
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Fowl takes on smoke fairly easy, so I would use a mild wood such as one of the fruits you've mentioned. Out of those listed I'd use orange or apple. Someone on here has a recipe for a coffee rub that goes well with Turkey Breast. Search function will help you there...
    @Mickey is your coffee rub guy!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    From your selection I would use a mixed handful of apple and cherry but I have never used orange so it might be good too.

+1 on the coffee rub.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I just made one on Sunday. 400 raised direct with a handful of apple & cherry chips. I spatchcocked it (removed the keel bone) seasoned with Dizzy Dust. The coffee rub is excellent too but I made this at my brother-in-law's and he didn't have any coffee rub. Took about 45 minutes. Turned out juicy and delicious. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    +1 @minniemoh.....also just spatched a turkey breast about 7 lbs. Used a few cherry chunks. Went 400 raised with DP Tsunami Spin. About one hour.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited March 2014
    Options
    400 indirect raised. Light Cherry/pecan chip mix. Have now started doing all direct. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Time per lb?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Pecan has a light flavor and gives the meat a beautiful color.  If you can get some it will be a nice addition to your already fine selection.  It is excellent on all poultry.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa