Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Searing without a spider…cast iron skillet on the fire-ring grid good enough?

So shame on me.  I've had my Egg for 9 months now and don't have a spider for it.  I will remedy that but for tonight's reverse sear pork chops I was wondering if there's anything wrong with searing in a cast-iron skillet at fire-ring level?  Seems like it would be fine - heck cast-iron holds a lot of heat - but I thought I'd ask what kind of success others have had searing at this level.

When I've tried reverse searing steaks on the SS grid (at fire-ring level) I've noticed  that the outside of the steak toughens up without a lot of good ol' Maillard reaction sear.  I figured the cast-iron skillet would hold enough heat to fully sear without toughening up the chops…but I'd hate to have that happen to my chops hence my question.

Thanks for any experience ya'll can offer.

Comments

• It should be enough, just crank up the temp, other thing you could try is placing the skillet directly on top of the charcoal.

Cheers!
    XL BGE + Large BGE @ Monterrey, Mexico
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    The main reason why I purchased a spider was for searing close to the coals on a CI grate. I used it 5-6 times until I tried searing caveman style (directly on the coals). Caveman style is now the way I do it. I do not regret buying the spider because I use it for wok cooks.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

paqman - how long do you leave the protein on the coals for a caveman sear?  Seems like it would be very quick - like 20 seconds quick.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    You can leave as long as 1 minute per side. Surprisingly it does not cook much faster than other methods. From time to time I get a piece of coal that will stick but it can easily be removed with tongs. Ash is not an issue at all.

You don't HAVE to buy a spider. I've had one for about 4 years (a gift). I can tell it has been used, but I honestly don't remember using it. Must have been a wok cook as I don't even have a grid that fits it for searing. And these days, when I use the wok, I cook on my chimney starter, not the egg. Basically, the spider just sits there. Waiting. 

I do have an 8 or 9" CI grid that I have placed directly on the lump for a sear. Or commando. But, I don't sear often. It's probably been almost a year since I've even HAD a steak or a chop. Seared or otherwise. Used to LOVE steaks. Haven't had a good one in so long I finally stopped trying.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2014
    Nothing wrong with that setup at all, and my preferred method to sear.  If anything, the skillet or griddle protects the chops from the brunt of dry heat, concentrating it on the Maillard.  It also keeps the grease drippings off of the fire, eliminating an acrid off flavor from fattier items. 

The key to CI, is allowing for a good preheat. 

The spider is a useful tool for stir frying, indirect cooks and cold smoking with the AR.   
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• New2Q
    New2Q Posts: 171
    Thanks for all the input.  Choices choices, what's an egg-head to do? :)  I think I'll try the simplest method for this cook - CI skillet on grid at fire-ring level and if that doesn't work I'll move on to the other suggestions for later cooks.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    New2Q said:
    Thanks for all the input.  Choices choices, what's an egg-head to do? :)  I think I'll try the simplest method for this cook - CI skillet on grid at fire-ring level and if that doesn't work I'll move on to the other suggestions for later cooks.
    Excellent idea. Too msny folks, myself included, buy things just because they saw it mentioned here. Most of us have stuff we don't need and will never use! Just think about it and try what you already have first. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• New2Q
    Just as a follow-up:  I seared my pork chops in a CI skillet on the grate (with the grate on the fire-ring).  It turned out nearly perfect.  I pre-heated the CI skillet on the stove and then brought it to the Egg when the chops had reached 130.  I ended up going 90 seconds a side.for the sear which turned out to be too long.  There were some burned sections of the sear instead of just golden brown and delicious.  Also, the IT after the sear was 145.  I should have gone 45 - 60 seconds a side.  That would have resulted in a perfect sear with and IT of closer to 140 (which will carry over to the recommended 145).

Still, it was the best pork chop I ever had and the beer glaze that I made for the chop gave it that little extra pizzaz that put it over the top.
  • Egglegal_Alien
    Egglegal_Alien Posts: 113
    edited March 2014
    If your sear came perfect but IT got too high, don't you think the tweaking is not needed on the searing time but on the IT reached before searing?

... Maybe you could get the same crust with a lower IT by searing @ 125 IT rather than 130.
    XL BGE + Large BGE @ Monterrey, Mexico
  • New2Q
    Egglegal Alien, the sear didn't come out perfect.  There was too much that was burned instead of just well-seared.  But you're right, if the sear was perfect and IT was too high then pulling the chops a little earlier during the roasting phase of the reverse sear would be the answer.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2014

Fire must have been too hot.

Couple of things.  First, raise the skillet higher, like gasket/felt line higher, and preheat around 550-600 degree dome temp for 30 minutes on the egg after you have reached range.  Second, rubs will burn at these temps, especially a rub with any kind of sugar.  Steak, burgers and thinner chops are the only things I sear blazing hot anymore.  And they do not get any rub at all.  You have to be careful with your choice of fat/oil here as well.  I like to use a small amount of ghee due to the higher smoke point.  Ghee is super easy to make yourself.   

The red wattle chops below were lightly salted, rested in the fridge for a few hours, patted dry, then seared around 90-120 sec per side.  You can still use rubs with your skillet higher in the egg at a lower CI IR temp. 

Seems like you are almost there.  Make some adjustments with rub, air intake or space between skillet and fire, discover what is best for you.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• I do 120 IT and then 60 to 90 seconds sear on each side just above the coals for chops.  In my experience so far this has given me a beautiful sear and the IT hits 140 to 145.  But you have to check the chops while searing.  I flip every 30 seconds.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    The other day I reverse seared some ribeyes with just the Egg grate. This was done by filling the Egg up to the top of the fire ring with lump and slow cooking the one inch thick ribeyes at 250F indirect using the plate setter and a little oak smoke. When they reached 125F pulled off and set aside and foiled, then open up the Egg vents wide until dome hit 700F. Then with lid open and a raging fire dropped the ribeyes down on the grate, which was now on top of the fire ring and them puppies seared each side in one minute flat.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    If you're using CI for searing during a reverse sear it saves a lot of time to throw the skillet in the egg during the low portion of the cook to start heating it. I usually throw it underneath the grid on top of my indirect piece.
    Dunedin, FL
  • I put my cast iron skillet directly on the grill grate! Check out my Cast Iron Filet recipe!